Riverdale

Lost Old Dad

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to say that not EVERYONE at Oakland shares the views that some OHS posters and most of our coaches do.

I am realistic enought to admit that....

*Oakland had underclassmen that had beaten Riverdale as freshmen for the last 3 yrs and weren't intimidated by them any longer. That is a huge plus.

* We had players with EXPERIENCE. That superb line of ours had been to battle for several yrs together. Most of them started on varsity as either sophs or pulled up as freshmen. Experience can pay off HUGE especially when most of the other schools graduated SR. laden teams the year before. Battling together in the trenches for 3 yrs....no comparison.

*We won at least 4 games at the last second on controversial calls. Could have gone either way. Had we lost to CC, who knows how the season would have gone from there? We got some breaks on our side for sure.

*Beating Riverdale in week 0 added to the confidence level big-time. The new coaches planned for this game from the second that they were hired.....drilling hate into these kids' heads for the warriors and their head coach. FACT.

* We had tons of depth. Keeping fresh legs in paid off on both O and D. We never had that level of depth before.

* We were better than we got credit for last yr . We had a rookie OC and it showed. Had we hired in an experienced OC, I think we had the talent to have done pretty well....at least gone to the playoffs. Our Defense kept us from getting embarrassed.

* The administration gave this staff whatever they wanted and having that support meant volumes in raising other support from the county.

* Several former RHS boosters jumped on our train and threw down some bucks to help even more. New uniforms for one.

* Our kids bought into the enthusiasm factor that our new staff brought to the table.

* We had more experienced skill players and a GREAT kicker...not to mention the most speed in the region.

Could others have come in and done the same thing.....Yes, probably so. I guarantee that Joslin, Gaddis, Crawford, or Euverard could have won the gold as well with this group of experienced and talented players.

Did our coaches work hard? YES!

Did our players give up? NO

Did the school rally behind this team and bring back some much-needed PRIDE to the program? YES

Did our staff gel together? YES!!!!

Did this staff prove their worth? Yes

Will we repeat? I sure HOPE so!!

I can see you're still a little reluctant to give full credit for the job the new staff did but still a really good post.

Just your opinion...would Coach A and his Riverdale staff have won the gold ball with Oakland's talent? Just your objective opinion...we won't force you to prove it or anything. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I am not sure if he would have won a gold ball or not, but I think he could have gotten us through a couple of rounds of the playoffs at least. I doubt he would have gotten the same administrative support that the current staff got though or gotten the large number of coaches hired that Mc got . We did have a good Defense last yr and it would have continued this yr. All we needed was a decent O to have made some noise. He would have done a better job implementing the wingt than what we had b/c A actually understands it. I don't think our OC from last yr or half the O coaches from last yr did.

We did have the personnel on the field to run it though, I think and be pretty elusive. Also we had a QB that could toss it pretty accurately too if that option was used to keep the defense honest.

R-man......that is your choice to make yourself and your opinions known. I guess you must Reap the consequences.

I will say that you have been a constant RHS fan for a lot more yrs than I have been an OHS fan. I only have 20 yrs under my belt, and your support of all the sports is quite admirable.

BTW ......congrats to Caroline Reeves for winning the state in swimming. Forgot what event, but she has won it twice now! Pretty dang impressive.

me too...and i dont hide behind a screen name so when i say it i have coaches mad at me LOL but sometimes the truth hurts

The truth? Can you at least be a little more up front and say that it is your opinion? Whether of not it is the "truth" is subjective and up for debate.

A more acceptable and honest statement would be "the truth, in my opinion, is..." We can agree to disagree here, as we have on most R'Dale topics, but you really should qualify your "truth"

I believe that the truth of the situation at R'Dale is that because of zoning changes and enforcement has caused the amount of talent to dramatically decrease at R'Dale. A coaching change that coincides with these changes have led some to believe that it is the coaching change that has led to less successful seasons. That belief has led to less and less suppourt for the coach. That failing support has contributed greatly to the downward trend of wins at R'Dale, to the point that uninformed 'supporters" and posters are making irrational statements around the community and on message boards that show their lack of understanding of what is really the situation at R'Dale.

This of course is only my belief, supported by the opinions of most of the state hs football programs, including those in Rutherford County, and most of college football who, by applying the logic of your opinion, foolishly and blindly missed all that talent at R'Dale.

You and others believe that the truth is that the coaching choice and the offensive choice of that coach have led to less wins, even though there is enough talent is at R'Dale to still win gold balls. This is your belief that is supported by many disgruntled "supporters" who have formed a common bond of negativity towards the coach at R'Dale.

Wow, after I put it this way, I see that your claims and your truth are just as strong and just as supported as mine. Maybe I am wrong...

Man the coffee tastes good this morning!

OK lets look at some of the things that have been going wrong for the last '4' years starting with the freshman program. Yes I said 4 years because it started with Rankins last year.

The freshman program started going down hill then because of lack of caring for it because Rankin was NOT going to be here. It continued to get worse with Coach A's first hire of the freshman coach, which in my 'opinion' was lucky just to find the field. Since then there has been two more freshman HC's and luckily the one they have now does win. Not pretty and not with over powering scores as in the past but that is the nature of the wingT they are forced to run. That does mean we still have 'talent' though!

This in turn has given other teams the edge in that they consider R'dale vunerable, which they are due to lack of defense!

I will give Coach A credit as he DOES know the WingT offense, but unfortunately his defense knowledge is sadly lacking. This was proven early when we played the game in Chattanooga and he did man up and take the heat for LOSING that game which we had in the back pocket score wise.

As to running off coaches, I will say he did because he might have felt some were not loyal to him. One with some justification as there were some hard feelings between him and some of the old coaches.

Discipline-this is a team that went from having HEAVY discipline to having alomst NONE! Kids being kids took advantage of it. I still can't get used to seeing pony tails and ear rings on R'dale players! Who is responsible for that? The kids? I do NOT think so!

Earlier someone told me to get over it as Coach A IS the coach and will remain to be it. I have gotten over it and can live with it, but can R'dale and will I be quiet? Nope. Any Coach worth the title will have folks in the stands second guessing him and complaining. That comes with the title of COACH!

OK lets look at some of the things that have been going wrong for the last '4' years starting with the freshman program. Yes I said 4 years because it started with Rankins last year.

The freshman program started going down hill then because of lack of caring for it because Rankin was NOT going to be here. It continued to get worse with Coach A's first hire of the freshman coach, which in my 'opinion' was lucky just to find the field. Since then there has been two more freshman HC's and luckily the one they have now does win. Not pretty and not with over powering scores as in the past but that is the nature of the wingT they are forced to run. That does mean we still have 'talent' though!

This in turn has given other teams the edge in that they consider R'dale vunerable, which they are due to lack of defense!

I will give Coach A credit as he DOES know the WingT offense, but unfortunately his defense knowledge is sadly lacking. This was proven early when we played the game in Chattanooga and he did man up and take the heat for LOSING that game which we had in the back pocket score wise.

As to running off coaches, I will say he did because he might have felt some were not loyal to him. One with some justification as there were some hard feelings between him and some of the old coaches.

Discipline-this is a team that went from having HEAVY discipline to having alomst NONE! Kids being kids took advantage of it. I still can't get used to seeing pony tails and ear rings on R'dale players! Who is responsible for that? The kids? I do NOT think so!

Earlier someone told me to get over it as Coach A IS the coach and will remain to be it. I have gotten over it and can live with it, but can R'dale and will I be quiet? Nope. Any Coach worth the title will have folks in the stands second guessing him and complaining. That comes with the title of COACH!

I wont argue with most of your comments. Its not worth it. But the second to last paragraph. Are you serious. Are you going to blame a kid with a pony tail and a kid who wears ear rings on Coach A. What a joke. This blame first and foremost goes to the parents and the kid himself. Yes a coach could have this be a part of the team rules and expectations but this day and age Im not sure many administrators would back the coach. Too many administrators would probably fear a lawsuit. Again you blaming this type of thing on Coach A is ridiculous along with him not being able to breed the talent. When Rankin really had his dominant years you all were getting all the Eagleville kids. There were enough of them that they started their own team. That alone should tell you that the talent is not what it was.

I wont argue with most of your comments. Its not worth it. But the second to last paragraph. Are you serious. Are you going to blame a kid with a pony tail and a kid who wears ear rings on Coach A. What a joke. This blame first and foremost goes to the parents and the kid himself. Yes a coach could have this be a part of the team rules and expectations but this day and age Im not sure many administrators would back the coach. Too many administrators would probably fear a lawsuit. Again you blaming this type of thing on Coach A is ridiculous along with him not being able to breed the talent. When Rankin really had his dominant years you all were getting all the Eagleville kids. There were enough of them that they started their own team. That alone should tell you that the talent is not what it was.

Those horrible coaches forcing ear rings and pony tails on these kids these days! No wonder R'Dale had fewer wins this year. The other teams must have thought they were playing a girls team...boy, talk about a confidence booster for playing mighty R'Dale.

Are R'Dale "supporters" really blaming hair now? Thats now the argument? Jeez!!! And then you blame that hair on the coach???? Are you kidding me?

Its a sad state of affairs when the coach is blamed for the poor grooming habits and the lack of talent in the athletes he has to work with.

Apparently its also his fault that they dont have a good work ethic and its his fault that he cant get colleges to offer them scholarships.

The coaches dont raise them and the coaches did not breed them to start with, but they are blamed for everything wrong with them that leads to losses.

And then apparently the coaches are supposed to sit back and take all the bull that "supporters" throw at them because that is part of being a COACH, as R'Man just stated.

Holy cow, whats in the water in the R'Dale zone? Something is definitely killing brain cells.

looks as if you coach a haters might be getting your wish after all.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...96&start=96

At least the ignorance and negativity may stop...at least for a little while. Will the "supporters" now call him a traitor for applying? Can you even be a traitor against the people who were first traitors against you? Interesting...

At least the ignorance and negativity may stop...at least for a little while. Will the "supporters" now call him a traitor for applying? Can you even be a traitor against the people who were first traitors against you? Interesting...

I will not call him a traitor if he goes there.. his kids go there so i wouldnt blame him its closer to home and i would say it would actually be easier to be more involved with the community and the kids that are younger...here at RIVERDALE he comes to work and goes home to his family if he was at ravenwood his family is at work and he must like ravenwood enough to send his kids there otherwise they would be at RIVERDALE

I will not call him a traitor if he goes there.. his kids go there so i wouldnt blame him its closer to home and i would say it would actually be easier to be more involved with the community and the kids that are younger...here at RIVERDALE he comes to work and goes home to his family if he was at ravenwood his family is at work and he must like ravenwood enough to send his kids there otherwise they would be at RIVERDALE

Where he sends his kids to school has no bearing on anything to do with his coaching responsibilities at R'Dale and is a personal choice and inappropriate to discuss on a public open forum.