Temple Dynasty!

TempleTrue

Congrats to Temple. The Dynasty is alive with another silver ball. After you or one of the Grace(s) win 25-30 games and get through the Murfreesboro traffic, I am sure you will get to restore order next year at the Tourney. Maybe the draw will allow yuins' to get a West Team so that yuins' can send a message. This years' record is very impressive though.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temple has accomplished a lot in the last many years, but to be fair it has been stated here many times that without the dispute that lead Rev. Skogen to pull his family from CCS and take them to Temple, this discussion would not be taking place. No Skogens no titles, no discussions. It seems that the only one who is taking serious offense to this line of discussion is Caleb Marc.....I mean Bigbird!

Temple has accomplished a lot in the last many years, but to be fair it has been stated here many times that without the dispute that lead Rev. Skogen to pull his family from CCS and take them to Temple, this discussion would not be taking place. No Skogens no titles, no discussions. It seems that the only one who is taking serious offense to this line of discussion is Caleb Marc.....I mean Bigbird!

There are many reasons for Temple's success, and the Skogens arrival at Temple is certainly one of them. But the Skogens wouldn't have chosen Temple if they hadn't already had a reputation of having a great basketball program.

TempleTrue has it right that Temple has been a dynasty in this decade, but his subtitle, "Most dominant team in the decade" isn't true, IMO. None of Temple's championship teams were dominant. They all were challenged for the gold ball. And, none of Temple's teams could be considered the best of the decade. This year's Manasses team may have a claim on that title, but not any of Temple's championship teams.

That said, it has been an incredible run for Temple. Their teams have generally overachieved, and have represented the school very well. The cupboard will be bare at Temple for the next couple years. Hopefully they can rebuild and enjoy more success down the road.

There are many reasons for Temple's success, and the Skogens arrival at Temple is certainly one of them. But the Skogens wouldn't have chosen Temple if they hadn't already had a reputation of having a great basketball program.

TempleTrue has it right that Temple has been a dynasty in this decade, but his subtitle, "Most dominant team in the decade" isn't true, IMO. None of Temple's championship teams were dominant. They all were challenged for the gold ball. And, none of Temple's teams could be considered the best of the decade. This year's Manasses team may have a claim on that title, but not any of Temple's championship teams.

That said, it has been an incredible run for Temple. Their teams have generally overachieved, and have represented the school very well. The cupboard will be bare at Temple for the next couple years. Hopefully they can rebuild and enjoy more success down the road.

I don't know what went into the decision for the Rev. Skogen to send his family to Temple, but my point was and is that regardless of success (and many factors can be entered in such as the strength of schedule for many of the early Temple teams this decade playing non-TSSAA teams / Boyd, CCS,and CSAS not being part of the district/region but in AA) Temple would have had good teams, but NO state titles without the Skogen family.

I don't know what went into the decision for the Rev. Skogen to send his family to Temple, but my point was and is that regardless of success (and many factors can be entered in such as the strength of schedule for many of the early Temple teams this decade playing non-TSSAA teams / Boyd, CCS,and CSAS not being part of the district/region but in AA) Temple would have had good teams, but NO state titles without the Skogen family.

And the Bulls would've never won their NBA championships without Michael Jordan. My point is, who really cares? The fact is, for a number of reasons, Temple has won several championships this decade, and has been to the boro more than any other team the last 10 years. It's been a great run.

My contention is the statement that Temple would only be a .500 team in other districts. When you look at region 7 & 8, most of the teams are way below .500 and never have a chance at going to the tourney. There are not 40 teams fighting each other every year to make it. There are only two or three from each region, just like ours.

On the discussion about the Skogens, do not forget that Temple was strong before they came. When they won the silver in 1998 it was a 42-44 loss in 2OT, probably one of the best teams Temple has had. There is no dispute that having a boat load of Skogens was beneficial to Temple.

Temple should be in Division II, that said, having 90 students (as was mentioned in the Free Press the other day) and getting a state runner-up is a great achievement. Manassas should already be in Class AA if the TSSAA enrollment listings from the fall are accurate (about 610).

Temple has a great program and have had for many years. When people start saying "dynasty" it is ludicrous. A "

dynasty" would be closer defined by Shelbyville girls program of the 90's and around that era. Manasas does not have a claim to that either. They are far from it as well.

Let me throw my hat into this ring. When it comes to describing dynasties, I feel that Temple rates that discussion. There are certain programs in the state that rate this notation. Let me list the ones that I know of--Brentwood Academy (fb) Page (vb) Wayne County (wbb) Shelbyville (gbb) Temple (mbb) Pickett Co (mbb) Livingston Academy (wbb) Clarkrange (wbb)--These teams all have one thing in common. They have gone through at least a ten year period of being a perennial power and teams to be dealt with at the state level. Some have gone for longer than others such as Shelbyville, LA, Clarkrange, but none the less, all of the abocve mentioned teams deserve mentioning.

Temple looked like a pee-wee team out there against Manassas yesterday....I have seen Temple many times in The Boro and yesterday was the most inept I have ever seen them play...I don't know if it was intimidation or what....But hey, you got a Silver Ball.....

WOW...I couldn't agree with you more or have said it better...and let me take one shot if I may at Coach marcum...

I think that last year's Union City team was better than this year's manassas team..IMO... at least as good.. Temple played that team last year within 4 points I think.... THEN RETURNED EVERY SINGLE PERSON...so everyone should be a year better, stronger, bigger faster, whatever...and they are all seniors, and then they get blown out by a team who was not as good as last year's UC team... I got to see the game on CSS... Temple looked like they didn't have a coach...it was pathetic unorganized, and chaotic...coach marcum looked like he as much control of his team as he did the officials...

WOW...I couldn't agree with you more or have said it better...and let me take one shot if I may at Coach marcum...

I think that last year's Union City team was better than this year's manassas team..IMO... at least as good.. Temple played that team last year within 4 points I think.... THEN RETURNED EVERY SINGLE PERSON...so everyone should be a year better, stronger, bigger faster, whatever...and they are all seniors, and then they get blown out by a team who was not as good as last year's UC team... I got to see the game on CSS... Temple looked like they didn't have a coach...it was pathetic unorganized, and chaotic...coach marcum looked like he as much control of his team as he did the officials...

To be honest I don't think this years Manassas team was as good as last years team....Manassas lost 8 seniors off last years team including guys like Roy Mcfadgon, Sean Kearney, Eric Atkins and Willie Payne.....McFadgon was 6'6"-6'7"..When he was in with 6'8" Buckner that made for a pretty formidable duo....They were also allowed to play 41 games last year...They played just about all the tough Memphis teams last year and were very battle tested last year...They didn't have near as tough a schedule this season as last...

I was just real disappointed in the way Temple played...They are usually smooth, play as a team and is well coached..Yesterday was just awful.....

Then Buckner gets kicked out of the game and the Tigers played better without him....I thought just maybe Temple would make a run at Manassas after Buckner got that 2nd Tech but it got worse....