William Blount Football Coach

etcoach

QUOTE (LoveLadyGovs @ Jun 17 2009 - 09:41 AM)

No problem with the new coach. The problem lies with 3 head coaches in 2 years and a very unsteady football program. Good athletes are molded by good leadership and high expectations. We are still WB fans, but Dalton had to set his priorities and do what was best for his future. His dream is to play college football and his chances of doing that by playing his last 2 years of high school football at WB was not very good given the rollercoaster ride over the last 2 years. I'm hopeful that everyone will see that this was not a personal assault on any particular person it was just what was best for Dalton to help him mature and become a better person and player and it was a very hard and difficult decision. His best friends are WB football players and students and that is not going to change. We wish the best of luck for the new coach and I hope this is the beginning to a new era for the WB Football Program.

LLG

I don't know what happened to the original post. It seems to have been deleted. You know who I am and I wish Dalton the best but if I can understand the TSSAA rule book , Dalton may be in a "situation" .

I hope everything works out for him. I'm pretty sure he would have got alot of playing time this year at WB. I'm not sure he will get any varsity playing time elsewhere.......

Good Luck

tpoole12

Hey coach, I do know who you are and Dalton has always thought a lot of you through all his years playing. I hate this has turned into such a ordeal. Dalton is 17 and wants to move in with his Dad which is moving to the Alcoa district.

TSSAA told me that we had everything in order through TSSAA standards EXCEPT that the WB principal must write a letter to release Dalton to play football for another school. I received a phone call on Saturday from someone inside the athletic program and they told me they had heard this was not going to happen. If that is the truth then your right, Dalton is in a situation and it's not right. If we have complied with all the standards according to TSSAA and WB administration is not going to release him, that is not right. I was also told that Coach Gregory had a meeting with the players after practice on Friday and told them that he was going to make sure that the players that had transferred this year would not be eligible to play. That upsets me and I will be talking to Coach Gregory. I hate these post when they become personal and directed toward one individual instead of general conversations regarding the football program and that's the reason that I deleted my previous post. But I wanted to respond to you since you have had a big part in Dalton's life through coaching. In short, I think it is absolutely a personal attack on Dalton when a Coach has a meeting to basically say "he is going to make sure that Dalton doesn't play football this year" and I am truly hoping that the upper administration at WB will release him to play since he is moving into the Alcoa School System with his Dad. I have always said good things about Coach Gregory and wished him well, but the things he has been telling the players regarding Dalton is a very unprofessional and a poor example.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are backtracking in a hurry aren't you?

And you never answered my other question - are you willing to call any player who transfers to WB for playing time a low-character or selfish kid?

FYI - Selfishness would be a character trait, so it's pretty much the same to me.

You have got to be kidding. Backtracking? I have every right to my opinion. I agree completely that Selfishness is a character trait and was hoping to catch you on it but you didn't bite. If a kid transferred into WB for the sole reason he wasn't playing at his other school then yes I would be worried about his committment to the team concept and feel he was selfish. But there is a bigger problem at hand. In high school sports kids are not supposed to be able to tranfer in and out of systems for athletics.

Hey coach, I do know who you are and Dalton has always thought a lot of you through all his years playing. I hate this has turned into such a ordeal. Dalton is 17 and wants to move in with his Dad which is moving to the Alcoa district.

TSSAA told me that we had everything in order through TSSAA standards EXCEPT that the WB principal must write a letter to release Dalton to play football for another school. I received a phone call on Saturday from someone inside the athletic program and they told me they had heard this was not going to happen. If that is the truth then your right, Dalton is in a situation and it's not right. If we have complied with all the standards according to TSSAA and WB administration is not going to release him, that is not right. I was also told that Coach Gregory had a meeting with the players after practice on Friday and told them that he was going to make sure that the players that had transferred this year would not be eligible to play. That upsets me and I will be talking to Coach Gregory. I hate these post when they become personal and directed toward one individual instead of general conversations regarding the football program and that's the reason that I deleted my previous post. But I wanted to respond to you since you have had a big part in Dalton's life through coaching. In short, I think it is absolutely a personal attack on Dalton when a Coach has a meeting to basically say "he is going to make sure that Dalton doesn't play football this year" and I am truly hoping that the upper administration at WB will release him to play since he is moving into the Alcoa School System with his Dad. I have always said good things about Coach Gregory and wished him well, but the things he has been telling the players regarding Dalton is a very unprofessional and a poor example.

I would check that out again. it is my understanding that it is not the schools job to release a high school player to play elsewhere. They do sign off on kids going out of zone to another school. If he is moving in with his dad and his dad is his legal guardian then there is nothing WB can do to stop him from being eligible. It is treated like someone moving in from out of town. Under TSSAA rules who ever the kids LEGAL guardian is then that is the address that is used to determine his zoning. i do agree that no coach should be singling out any kid to keep him from playing. However Coach Gregory has every right to fight for the kids that are zoned to him. It may just be something as simple as showing his dad as legal guardian. You could always do a hardship to try and get him eligible but again you are at the mercy of the TSSAA board. Word of advice do not believe a word TSSAA says until you have it in writing. Good luck and I do hope he gets to play this year.

by all means,speak with coach G ,i have and it sounds like you have only part of his conversation with his players.as i have stated before ,he is a stand up guy,when it comes to something that affects his players,he will speak up.

I would check that out again. it is my understanding that it is not the schools job to release a high school player to play elsewhere. They do sign off on kids going out of zone to another school. If he is moving in with his dad and his dad is his legal guardian then there is nothing WB can do to stop him from being eligible. It is treated like someone moving in from out of town. Under TSSAA rules who ever the kids LEGAL guardian is then that is the address that is used to determine his zoning. i do agree that no coach should be singling out any kid to keep him from playing. However Coach Gregory has every right to fight for the kids that are zoned to him. It may just be something as simple as showing his dad as legal guardian. You could always do a hardship to try and get him eligible but again you are at the mercy of the TSSAA board. Word of advice do not believe a word TSSAA says until you have it in writing. Good luck and I do hope he gets to play this year.

This board is to discuss WB football so that is what I have used if for. Suprisingly I have learned that this has snow balled into a WB vs Alcoa vs Dalton ordeal. Does anyone care that everything is not about football? Don't get me wrong I love football and I love watching my kids play sports but nobody knows the underlying personal issues involving Dalton moving in with his Dad except for the family. And that is the way it will stay. In one of my first post I said this move was breaking my heart and that was a deeper comment than just football. I had no idea on top of the personal hurt that was going on in our family that this football thing would add so much more stress that should have not been such an ordeal. I will continue enjoying everyone's comments on WB football and I hope that everyone can consider the bigger picture with Dalton and give it a break. Go Govs!

This board is to discuss WB football so that is what I have used if for. Suprisingly I have learned that this has snow balled into a WB vs Alcoa vs Dalton ordeal. Does anyone care that everything is not about football? Don't get me wrong I love football and I love watching my kids play sports but nobody knows the underlying personal issues involving Dalton moving in with his Dad except for the family. And that is the way it will stay. In one of my first post I said this move was breaking my heart and that was a deeper comment than just football. I had no idea on top of the personal hurt that was going on in our family that this football thing would add so much more stress that should have not been such an ordeal. I will continue enjoying everyone's comments on WB football and I hope that everyone can consider the bigger picture with Dalton and give it a break. Go Govs!

I was trying to give you some advice on dealing with the TSSAA and getting your son eligible. I believe you have been misinformed because in tennessee the high schools don't release players. College yes but not high school. They do sign off for them to go out of zone which they would have to do to a student that plays football or a student that does no extra curricular activities.

I was trying to give you some advice on dealing with the TSSAA and getting your son eligible. I believe you have been misinformed because in tennessee the high schools don't release players. College yes but not high school. They do sign off for them to go out of zone which they would have to do to a student that plays football or a student that does no extra curricular activities.

I'm sorry, I'm new at this message board stuff. I wasn't commenting to you directly but to everyone that was commenting on Dalton's transfer. Thank you for the information regarding TSSAA. I am trying to absorb it all. Thank you again.

You have got to be kidding. Backtracking? I have every right to my opinion. I agree completely that Selfishness is a character trait and was hoping to catch you on it but you didn't bite. If a kid transferred into WB for the sole reason he wasn't playing at his other school then yes I would be worried about his committment to the team concept and feel he was selfish. But there is a bigger problem at hand. In high school sports kids are not supposed to be able to tranfer in and out of systems for athletics.

So you do.

And so do I - it's pretty tacky to call a 14-18 year old selfish or low-character.

I just wanted to let you know that we really hate to see Dalton go! I wish him the best and hope that he is happy at Alcoa!

Is Katie leaving or staying? Losing one Wheeler is bad, but two would be horrible. I know Dalton very well and hate to see him leave, but understand the situation. Good luck. I guess this well give me a reason to pull for Alcoa, I never thought I would have one.

No, Katie is staying. Cheering for Alcoa will be a new one for me too, but I'm looking forward to it. Thank you for the kind words.