William Blount Football Coach

etcoach

Govman,

I have no knowledge of any feelings ,one way or the other, that those families have towards the coaching staff at WB. I do know that I have talked to several parents since I left and not to many have had many positive thoughts about certain things that have gone on in the past year. And many of those things probably are not going to change with a new head coach. (And I have heard nothing but good things about the new HC from people inside the coaching world and out) So please do not take that as a knock on him.

And please let me stop right here and clear some things up: I love WB and anyone who knows me will tell you that. Period. All I want is for WB to be at the "Blount County Invitational" in Cookevilel (Sounds weird huh?) every year just like the other two Blount County schools are. I have great friends at both Alcoa and at Maryville and I don't listen to any of the "recruiting" BS I read on here. Success breeds success and the only way you can catch em is to beat em! And you cannot beat em if you don't play em.

Here is what has to happen (in my opinion) to get WB to the next level:

1. Get the student body and faculty behind you. That means FB coaches actually go to pep rallies, basketball games, band concerts etc. At the Homecoming bomb fire I was the lone rep. To get support...you show support.

2. Get the alumni base behind you by getting to know some of them.

3. Support the Middle schools that feed WB. Been neglected way to long.

4. You ever heard of the Fairview Raiders? What colors are they? And why? I don't care what your feelings are about the guy who runs the thing (I have never spoken to him so I have no thoughts about him). Those are our kids wearing red and black. Do what you got to do.

5. Look for loyalty in a HC. If he has been at 4 schools in 10 years look somewhere else. You don't have to be Nostradamus to see what was coming this year. I will leave it at that.

Again, feel free to contact me anytime. My email is my screen name at yahoo.

One more thing: I hope Brooks and Dalton stay put because they are both WONDERFUL kids.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. You ever heard of the Fairview Raiders? What colors are they? And why? I don't care what your feelings are about the guy who runs the thing (I have never spoken to him so I have no thoughts about him). Those are our kids wearing red and black. Do what you got to do.

Actually......several of those kids are Maryville city kids....you just wouldn't know that by listening to their coach tell it.

BTW...anybody have the story why the Raiders went to the Red and Black colors?

Good points TFS and a must to build a program.

Govman,

I have no knowledge of any feelings ,one way or the other, that those families have towards the coaching staff at WB. I do know that I have talked to several parents since I left and not to many have had many positive thoughts about certain things that have gone on in the past year. And many of those things probably are not going to change with a new head coach. (And I have heard nothing but good things about the new HC from people inside the coaching world and out) So please do not take that as a knock on him.

And please let me stop right here and clear some things up: I love WB and anyone who knows me will tell you that. Period. All I want is for WB to be at the "Blount County Invitational" in Cookevilel (Sounds weird huh?) every year just like the other two Blount County schools are. I have great friends at both Alcoa and at Maryville and I don't listen to any of the "recruiting" BS I read on here. Success breeds success and the only way you can catch em is to beat em! And you cannot beat em if you don't play em.

1. Get the student body and faculty behind you. That means FB coaches actually go to pep rallies, basketball games, band concerts etc. At the Homecoming bomb fire I was the lone rep. To get support...you show support.

5. Look for loyalty in a HC. If he has been at 4 schools in 10 years look somewhere else. You don't have to be Nostradamus to see what was coming this year. I will leave it at that.

Great post TF6. All five points hit the nail on the head and I agree with you 100%. I hope Coach Gregory will fit this bill. I look forward to getting to know him and supporting him.

BTW, word on the street ... Governors have evidently lost another player. I'll wait until it's official before I comment further. :

If you have not gone to Justines to eat, do so immediately. It's on the same street as Hymans, just a few blocks away. Best fried chicken in the history of the world.

Now Gov-Man...if 'un tha Charleston yard bird iz rnny better than Dubbs hits awfull good.....Me and momma wint thru tha scraps at Poogan's Porch and thair Shremp and Grits iz about his ole boy evur dug out ov a heap...... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Now Gov-Man...if 'un tha Charleston yard bird iz rnny better than Dubbs hits awfull good.....Me and momma wint thru tha scraps at Poogan's Porch and thair Shremp and Grits iz about his ole boy evur dug out ov a heap...... /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Chicken might be close Stars ... but I guarantee you there ain't no place that's gonna beat Dubb's country fried steak and gravy with a side of mashed potatoes (with gravy) and a side of green beans (with a chunk of fat back) and a couple of them rolls and an ice cold glass of Mayfields. Top that off with a piece of chocolate pie and I think we can begin to get a small taste of what Heaven is gonna be like someday.

Great post TF6. All five points hit the nail on the head and I agree with you 100%. I hope Coach Gregory will fit this bill. I look forward to getting to know him and supporting him.

BTW, word on the street ... Governors have evidently lost another player. I'll wait until it's official before I comment further. :

Have heard several names and none are official I guess, Brooks and Dalton included. I hope Gregory fits the bill also, but again I say........ How many schools? In how many years? Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty...........Are we gonna be having this same conversation in 2 yrs, 4yrs, 6 yrs or 20 yrs from now? Track record? Track record? Track record?

Have heard several names and none are official I guess, Brooks and Dalton included. I hope Gregory fits the bill also, but again I say........ How many schools? In how many years? Loyalty, loyalty, loyalty...........Are we gonna be having this same conversation in 2 yrs, 4yrs, 6 yrs or 20 yrs from now? Track record? Track record? Track record?

And I guess we can add a #6 to the list:

Keep people who love WB around the program.

The only HC's who have ever shown any loyalty to the Gov Nation were the first two they ever had. One has the stadium named after him and one quit because he had Zero support from the administration.....then came back only to get hung out again because he was vocal and not a "yes" man.

Here is my point: If you have 10 coaches on a staff and all 10 agree all the time, then 9 of them are not needed. There is more than one way to skin a cat and I love hearing about the others. Put EGOS aside. If you have a better way, then lets discuss it like adults and do what is best.

--Don't cry and pout when it is not done your way.

--And most of all, just have an opinion.

--That is what coaches get payed for. They don't get paid to KISS the HC's tail and they don't get paid to CRY. Have an opinion and know that it is ok to disagree sometimes but you have to RESPECT the HC"s choice at the end and fight like heck to make it work. Not sure we were all on the same page with that this year!!!!

One more thing: I hope Brooks and Dalton stay put because they are both WONDERFUL kids.

Raiders color change??????Answer..... Meadows ran the Midget team off WB practice field oneday while they were practicing ! Upset alot of parents especially the coach ! Next year changed the team colors to Red / Black to make a statement.....true story

Govman,

Excellent post!

Raiders color change??????Answer..... Meadows ran the Midget team off WB practice field oneday while they were practicing ! Upset alot of parents especially the coach ! Next year changed the team colors to Red / Black to make a statement.....true story

This is not exactly the facts. I was associated with the team and the color change was discussed for two years. The reason the change was made was to get under the skin of the Maryville teams in the programs because kids were being told that they had to play for the Maryville teams if they wanted to play for the Rebels one day. So they made the change to associate themselves with the city programs, not because of Meadows.

This is not exactly the facts. I was associated with the team and the color change was discussed for two years. The reason the change was made was to get under the skin of the Maryville teams in the programs because kids were being told that they had to play for the Maryville teams if they wanted to play for the Rebels one day. So they made the change to associate themselves with the city programs, not because of Meadows.

ok.... If I'm incorrect I apologize... this story came from a Assistant Coach from the Raiders... my bad....

No intimidation there. We just laughed at him. How can a grown man have that much hatred for an opponent of 9-12 year olds. He is not a very good role model for that age of kids IMHO.