William Blount Football Coach

etcoach

This thread is specifically for your opinion of who you think will be the new football coach which is supposed to be announced Monday, May 18. I don't really care about reasons, just predictions. Only one prediction per screenname please.

Looks as if this thread has strayed a little bit off topic. Things really deteriorated in a hurry around page 12. Midget League teams changing colors allegedly either to spite a coach or to ingratiate themselves to the Maryville High coaching staff. Older men indoctrinating kids in green jerseys never to yell for Maryville. Maryville Middle School coach/teacher allegedly advocating ethnic cleansing/class warfare.

The last straw was, though, was the discussion about high school kids transferring. The fact that this discussion continued for six pages shows, in my opinion, that we are losing perspective and have forgotten what is really important about the high school experience as a whole. Sports are fun to play and enjoyable for parents and other fans to watch, but they are just one facet of a student's life. The number one goal for students should be to learn as much as possible and to be able to apply what they have learned in later life. These lessons can be learned in sports and other extracurricular activities as well as in the classroom.

I don't think it is productive to talk about these transfers by name, and I definitely don't think they should be labeled as disloyal or a quitter in this type of forum. I'm glad blogs, chat rooms, and message boards didn't exist back in my high school days. I would hate to have read about my failure to qualify for the State Math Contest in Geometry. Who needs that kind of humiliation?

Still, it was comforting to see the picture of Alnwick School on one of APB's posts. It is an island of sanity in a sea of turmoil.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks as if this thread has strayed a little bit off topic. Things really deteriorated in a hurry around page 12. Midget League teams changing colors allegedly either to spite a coach or to ingratiate themselves to the Maryville High coaching staff. Older men indoctrinating kids in green jerseys never to yell for Maryville. Maryville Middle School coach/teacher allegedly advocating ethnic cleansing/class warfare.

The last straw was, though, was the discussion about high school kids transferring. The fact that this discussion continued for six pages shows, in my opinion, that we are losing perspective and have forgotten what is really important about the high school experience as a whole. Sports are fun to play and enjoyable for parents and other fans to watch, but they are just one facet of a student's life. The number one goal for students should be to learn as much as possible and to be able to apply what they have learned in later life. These lessons can be learned in sports and other extracurricular activities as well as in the classroom.

I don't think it is productive to talk about these transfers by name, and I definitely don't think they should be labeled as disloyal or a quitter in this type of forum. I'm glad blogs, chat rooms, and message boards didn't exist back in my high school days. I would hate to have read about my failure to qualify for the State Math Contest in Geometry. Who needs that kind of humiliation?

Still, it was comforting to see the picture of Alnwick School on one of APB's posts. It is an island of sanity in a sea of turmoil.

Hilarious!!

.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ......... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ......... /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I guess a picture of Binfield would be an island of chaos in a sea of tranquility.

I guess a picture of Binfield would be an island of chaos in a sea of tranquility.

Tpoole, please rescue this thread from the island of insanity in the sea of asininity.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

So you do.

And so do I - it's pretty tacky to call a 14-18 year old selfish or low-character.

I call them as i see them. Too bad you don't have the sack to do the same. you must be a politician or something as you seemed very worried about politically correctness. Anyway good luck to the Govs and Coach G. Challenge will be great but the rewards even greater.

I call them as i see them. Too bad you don't have the sack to do the same. you must be a politician or something as you seemed very worried about politically correctness. Anyway good luck to the Govs and Coach G. Challenge will be great but the rewards even greater.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

and a perfect example of what is wrong with HS sports.

QUOTE (LoveLadyGovs @ Jun 17 2009 - 09:41 AM)

No problem with the new coach. The problem lies with 3 head coaches in 2 years and a very unsteady football program. Good athletes are molded by good leadership and high expectations. We are still WB fans, but Dalton had to set his priorities and do what was best for his future. His dream is to play college football and his chances of doing that by playing his last 2 years of high school football at WB was not very good given the rollercoaster ride over the last 2 years. I'm hopeful that everyone will see that this was not a personal assault on any particular person it was just what was best for Dalton to help him mature and become a better person and player and it was a very hard and difficult decision. His best friends are WB football players and students and that is not going to change. We wish the best of luck for the new coach and I hope this is the beginning to a new era for the WB Football Program.

LLG

I don't know what happened to the original post. It seems to have been deleted. You know who I am and I wish Dalton the best but if I can understand the TSSAA rule book , Dalton may be in a "situation" .

I hope everything works out for him. I'm pretty sure he would have got alot of playing time this year at WB. I'm not sure he will get any varsity playing time elsewhere.......

Good Luck

tpoole12

Man this whole thread was a tough read. I agree with some and dis-agree others but tpoole12 has it right on this post. I will say I agree that somethings are said or done at the Pee-Wee and miget levels around the county that I think are wrong. One of my sons played for a miget coach who openly professed a hatered for MHS. Going in I did not have this knowlege or we would have looked elsewhere. When the coach discovered my older son played for Maryville my younger son got benched! Heck of the thing for a young man to experience and after that there was no way he wanted to play for WB. He of course went to MHS and started in two SC games for the Rebels. That coach soured his view of WB. Good prgrams with high quality coaching and support have a way of drawing kids.

Man this whole thread was a tough read. I agree with some and dis-agree others but tpoole12 has it right on this post. I will say I agree that somethings are said or done at the Pee-Wee and miget levels around the county that I think are wrong. One of my sons played for a miget coach who openly professed a hatered for MHS. Going in I did not have this knowlege or we would have looked elsewhere. When the coach discovered my older son played for Maryville my younger son got benched! Heck of the thing for a young man to experience and after that there was no way he wanted to play for WB. He of course went to MHS and started in two SC games for the Rebels. That coach soured his view of WB. Good prgrams with high quality coaching and support have a way of drawing kids.

I agree: High quality coaching and support go a long, long way. I only know a little about the "pee wee" feeders in Blount County so I don't know if the whole "benching" thing happened or not. If it did then that is ridiculous for an adult to act that way. But the way WB has treated their feeders is equally ridiculous. It is no wonder MHS and AHS have lots of WB kids in their programs. I just hope this is the last thread we have on the whole WB "coaching search" thing for the next 20 years. And like I said before, the treatment all the WB feeders gets....has to improve. Drop egos at the door and support those programs at every game and invite them to yours.

Tpoole, please rescue this thread from the island of insanity in the sea of asininity.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Hey Rebelsman

Been of the threads for a few days. Been off work to. Got my Hay and Garden stuff caught up.. Lockeroom is 99% complete (Looks Good!!!).

Now to your quote. Sounds like you've been going to the GovMan School of big words.. You know I went to Lanier. I am going to hunt a dictionary and get back to you as soon as I can. While we are waiting ... Does anyone know the schedule for the jamboree???

tpoole12

GO GOVS