William Blount Football Coach

etcoach

The support for the G-men in the past few post have been very strong. It is good to see that so many people that have argued about things in the recent past have joined together to support the new coach and mainly the student atheletes he has been chosen to lead. As I said before, I pull for all blount co. teams when they are not playing the G-men. This county is the strongest county, as far as football is concerned, in Tennessee. Lets keep it that way with good sportsmanship and support for all high school atheletes in this area. Good luck to SG and RW, who's coaching skills have touched many lives and will continue to do so. This is going to be a very interesting year for all teams in the area, lets set back and enjoy /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RG61 and Dr Dave,

It's encouraging to me, as a Governor supporter, to hear your strong support for Coach Gregory. I look forward to getting to meet him and his family. TPoole is right about this team having some potential THIS YEAR ... a lot of people have written them off after last year's disappointing season and that's okay. Flying under the radar might be a good place to be in the region they are in.

TPoole, I also agree with you that Coach Gregory will inherit some good coaches on his staff. Not just good coaches, but quality men.

Dr. Dave ... you seem to be pretty familiar with Coach Gregory's style ... please tell me it won't just be a "three yards and a cloud of dust" type offense!?

His first thoughts will be what part of the offense will help me win the game. The offense is flexible enough to do many things from a game management stand point. If that is what it takes to win the game it will be three yards and win the game. It is a very effective offense, not a power scheme if that is what you mean. It is a blend of several offenses that he has put together over the years. With midline and veer you can take a team that has a beast and never block him, yet take him completely out of the game. You also make them play assignment football on defense which is hard to teach in a week. Then you throw in the counter ISO(sally), buck sweep and fullback trap, when the defense starts to squeeze, play action pass off each of those, then you have the Gun with more option,speed sweep,dart, shovel (Utah)pass, and then the Tony Franklin spread pass game. All of this can be ran with no huddle. That is a load for "any" team to get ready for in a week. Blocking schemes are simple, Terminology builds off of series making it easy to remember. If the defense tries to take away something the QB has a very easy check system to answer with. The entire offense is use to the check system because you work on the no huddle every day. The kids are not in mental overload because the terminology tells them what to do once they learn a half dozen simple rules. Gregory will spoon feed them at just the right pace using a progession teaching method before moving on to the next phase. The kids will know what they are doing before he adds more( I butted heads with him more than once on adding more and every time he was right and I was wrong but he let me see and try it my way knowing he was right all the time,but "I" learned from it). They don't have to think just go play. Once they "get it" the kids will love it and believe in it, knowing they will move the football. It is an offense that can control the clock or move the chains quickly. It will take some time to get them comfortable but Gregory is the best I have ever seen at seeing a play blow up on the practice field and then fixing it where the kids get it. I apologize for rambling on and on, but as you can see I love to talk football. Do me a favor when you see coach tell him Dr Dave wants to know if he will run the Rocket /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. In his heart he knows he needs to /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> You guys and the kids are going to have lots of fun and create life long memories, I truly envy you. Enjoy the ride.

As the voice of the Governors on the radio side of things, I would like to welcome Coach Gregory to William Blount. I will admit I was one of those on the committee who had voted for Coach Fitzgerald. However, Coach Fitzgerald did not come. Therefore I am moving on and will support Coach Gregory and his staff. I hope they have a great summer and Coach G.....I have just contracted you to mandatory post-game interviews after all games next season up in the booth. Unfortunately, though, you don't get paid for it. Maybe we'll save you some food. Oh wait...it depends if Jimmy and CJ are present.

Too bad about Coach Fitzgerald not taking the job @ WBHS. The Rhea Co. team has always played well against MHS.

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that Gregory may go to Catholic with Meadows. Anyone know why that didn't

work out?

GOOD LUCK TO THE GOVERNORS IN 2009. Hope they have a good strength and conditioning coach. They will need to really be in shape to play against the MEN IN BLACK and the rest of the THE BIG TEAMS.

Too bad about Coach Fitzgerald not taking the job @ WBHS. The Rhea Co. team has always played well against MHS.

It was mentioned in an earlier thread that Gregory may go to Catholic with Meadows. Anyone know why that didn't

work out?

GOOD LUCK TO THE GOVERNORS IN 2009. Hope they have a good strength and conditioning coach. They will need to really be in shape to play against the MEN IN BLACK and the rest of the THE BIG TEAMS.

It did work out, but he chose to be the head coach here instead. Meadows was fine with that.

Aways?.... Rhea County has taken some incredible beat downs at the hands of the Rebels.

Comparetively speaking I think we've done alright. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The 61-14 (that's off the top of my head) that happened in either 2000 or 2001 was pretty rough.

Comparetively speaking I think we've done alright. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> The 61-14 (that's off the top of my head) that happened in either 2000 or 2001 was pretty rough.

I would agree.

It did work out, but he chose to be the head coach here instead. Meadows was fine with that.

that's correct,coach G did have a choice to make and he chose WB ,if you ask him he'll tell you his reasons.he' honest and upfront.i do know this ,SM has been nothing but supportive and classy thru this whole process.

I understand your feelings, bottom line is that the new head coach did have a choice and he chose wb. He was given "room" and not pressured about the job with the irishmen, Im glad that sm allowed that, if not he may have taken another job and wb would be in more trouble in finding the best man for the job. If the new coach was not the first pick, he sure was close, and if he did not take the position, I heard they would have started the interviewing process over. The chips have finally fallen, Go G-men

To the players and parents of WB Football: be open-minded when Coach Gregory begins inserting his offense. There will be no "One Shining Star" on the field. No "One Man" will be responsible to making the big play. Instead, be ready to see up to four or five different individuals have a 100+ yard rushing or receiving performance on any given night. Expect to see a defense flowing one direction while the ball goes the complete opposite. As Doc stated before, this offense has very simple rules for everyone on the field (especially the linemen) to follow. There are clear cut rules in this offense, and it completely takes the "Guess Work" of the coaches' and players' hands. That's the beauty of the option game. Gregory's terminology is developed in way that helps eliminate confusion in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. The key to WB's level of success this coming year will be how quickly the boys buy into Coach Gregory's system. Forget the huge individual numbers and the personal highlights. This is truly a system that requires TEAM execution. When eleven men are on the same page and execute, this offense is a thing of beauty. Like a finely tuned machine!!!