PRIVATE VS. PUBLIC

dou

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine, I'll take the bait. First off, I'm not at all convinced that the privates are "so much better" than the publics. If they're not, then the appropriate question is, "why in the world aren't they?"

Cletus, here are my thoughts and why I started this Thread. Honestly I never thought about until this year, we had not been playing any private schools so I was blind, but as soon as we got our butts kicked in week 0. I started paying attention. Here are the facts so far this year. Oakland losses to Ensworth, Millington whipped by MUS, MUS beats South Panola, CBHS whips Whitestation, and so on.

I can't speak for all cases, but private schools have the ability to hire who they want as a coach. They aren't limited (or at least as limited) in what they offer for pay and compensation packages. A public school head coach has to have a teaching degree, and has to actually teach some classes. In many cases it may simply be P.E., but it still occupies their time and reduces time they could be spending on the football program. They also have a better financial base with which to build better facilities, from weight rooms to fields, to facilities for treating those sore muscles and such. This all aids in their ability to draw overall better talent. Most have some kind of financial aid they offer for those that are wanting to attend the school. Keep in mind, the financial aid isn't just for atheletes.

So if you have a kid that can play ball, and you show him fantastic facilities, a strong fan base, wining tradition, along with a big name school....I mean would you (as a player) rather be recruited by USC, Florida, etc...or by S.E. Missouri State for example.....

I don't think private vs public always means a "W" for the private school....but the opportunities for a private school to create a winning program are generally more available than for a public school.

Is it right or wrong to recruit a local talent or pay for a kid’s tuition to an expensive private school via scholarship? I don't know. I guess it depends on if it is your child or not.

I work with a fellow who is committed to the public school that his son goes to but has been concerned that they have no position coach for his son. He has been approached by a local private school about his son. The dad told the supporter that there is no way he could afford the tuition. The supporter told him not to worry that they have plenty of scholarship money for the right kid and that he guaranteed that his son would have a position coach.

How do you turn down the chance for your child/athlete to receive a good education and be coached by someone who does it full time? Most public school coaches have to carry a class load and coach.

Is it right or wrong to recruit a local talent or pay for a kid’s tuition to an expensive private school via scholarship? I don't know. I guess it depends on if it is your child or not.

I work with a fellow who is committed to the public school that his son goes to but has been concerned that they have no position coach for his son. He has been approached by a local private school about his son. The dad told the supporter that there is no way he could afford the tuition. The supporter told him not to worry that they have plenty of scholarship money for the right kid and that he guaranteed that his son would have a position coach.

How do you turn down the chance for your child/athlete to receive a good education and be coached by someone who does it full time? Most public school coaches have to carry a class load and coach.

What's right...? I think the right thing to do is whatever is in the best interest of the player. As long as the issue is being done by the rules, why not. Everyone, in every walk of life tries to do what is in their best interest.

Hey guys, dont beat around the bush. Most of the private schools in west tn and Im sure the rest of the state recruit players. It is not really a secret. I have personally witnessed it being done. It has gotten really bad and the coaches from the private schools have gotten brazen about it because no one says anything about it or challenges it. Big money is involved in tuitions, thousands of dollars. They use the disguise that they are offering an "academic scholarship" to provide a kid a good education who maybe was not able to afford it. The kicker is the kid always seems to be an exceptional athelte (go figure). It hurts the community where the athlete is coming from (taking one of their players) and it hurts the team they are playing because it creates a distinct advantage for the recruiting school. If a kid is a good athlete he will get attention from the colleges with help from his coach (if the coach is worth his salt) and his parents. These colleges are constantly on the hunt for players. The coaches for the private schools are paid salaries well above public schools coaches and they must produce or chance losing their job (sounds like college doesnt it?)I know some public schools do it also but not on the same scale as the private schools and not involving tens of thousands of dollars in tuitions.

Recruiting players in High School is not right....

The big problem with that is everybody (including T$$AA) knows what they are doing. It is so obvious...but hey if you have councilmans kids, big business owners kids, lawyers kids all going to these schools I guess the T$$AA should be afraid to pursue it.

If I was a coach at a city or county school I would refuse to play them.

It is CHEATING and show a lack of INTEGRITY.

I would suggest that if you have positive proof of wrongdoing, then you submit that evidence to the TSSAA.

I would also suggest that if you are hearing the information from a second hand source or even from a parent themselves, that you listen with a grain of salt. Is this "supporter" an official representative of the school? Would the parent "stretch" the truth to make it sound better? Do they have any official offers in writing? Have they submitted the approprate financial aid forms to the independent review company?

The privates that offer aid were moved to their own Division, II and as such the DI schools do not have to play us. However, it always seems that some still want to. I personally think it is a sad state of being.

I would suggest that if you have positive proof of wrongdoing, then you submit that evidence to the TSSAA.

I would also suggest that if you are hearing the information from a second hand source or even from a parent themselves, that you listen with a grain of salt. Is this "supporter" an official representative of the school? Would the parent "stretch" the truth to make it sound better? Do they have any official offers in writing? Have they submitted the approprate financial aid forms to the independent review company?

The privates that offer aid were moved to their own Division, II and as such the DI schools do not have to play us. However, it always seems that some still want to. I personally think it is a sad state of being.

What is also sad is during the time of gas prices going up, on this site DII complaints that DII schools complaints about having to travel due to fuel costs and why DI did not play them. And then in an area, an attempt to restructure play schedules due to high fuel costs. DII sometimes have to go out of state to find schools to play. Thats not sad. Reclassification did cause some problems in scheduling but mostly with DII. After all, 325 publics to about 50 privates. Long way between schools and then when you throw in trying to bus kids out of the allowed area that are allowed to attend which most are athletes, the costs get pretty high.