McCallie vs Baylor

bigblu1

A big thank you to Mrs. Etter in the Red athletic office for providing the info on handicapped parking! They have a plan and everyone taken care of! Yeah!

Plan on next to no sleep tonight but wish everyone a safe evening. Hug your kids tonight (even from a distance) and tell them you love 'em! If they are a player, then whisper in their ear to go hit somebody!

Looking forward to a truly thrilling night of football tomorrow!

Go Blue!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big thank you to Mrs. Etter in the Red athletic office for providing the info on handicapped parking! They have a plan and everyone taken care of! Yeah!

Plan on next to no sleep tonight but wish everyone a safe evening. Hug your kids tonight (even from a distance) and tell them you love 'em! If they are a player, then whisper in their ear to go hit somebody!

Go Blue!

Spoken like a true Mom....gotta love it! Glad Mrs. Etter took care of you....she is a classy lady.

Go Red Raiders!

Go Blue!

Bluemom....I've got a feeling that alot of young men will have sleepless nights tonight....parents too! As any of us that have been a part of this great rivarly through the years know...this game stays with them for many years. You never forget this series and you always get excited about this week every year. Here's to a great game and to every player an injury free night. Have fun at the game Bluemom...just don't have too much fun! Go Baylor!

I have to admire the level of class in all the posts in this thread. It's refreshing to see people who actually discuss football, even an intense rivlary, in a civilized fashion. I'm embarrassed at the level of vitriol in the Ensworth-MBA threads (I was called a "liberal nerd" for suggesting that war metaphors were a little inappropriate at a time when young men slightly older than these players were actually fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan). The exchanges here are more like what this board used to be, and are what one would expect from two classy prep schools.

I hope tomorrow is a good and memorable game for both sides. Still think it's a pity there's no mud though.

Unfortunately the MBA QB was a casualty in that game.

I guess it wasn't a "war, battle, conflict" but just a little ole backyard football game on West End.

While watching Brentwood vs Centennial on TV tonight, the uniformed Marine interviewed during the game called tonights game a "battle" of two good teams. Shame on him, how inappropriate.

McCallie 28

Baylor 14

I was at the MBA-Ensworth game. When Colbert was injured, the Ensworth players respectfully took a knee. When the MBA players prayed, it appeared to me that most of the Ensworth players did the same. That doesn't happen in combat. You exult in your opponent's casualties, because that becomes one less who is capable of making you a casualty. I have played in football games, and I have been in combat. The two are polar opposites.

You are right about one thing (why can't I get the image of a blind hog with an ear of corn out of my head right now?): it was just a little ole football game. Nothing more than that. Even on the MBA side, most everybody had a pretty good time. Even the players would probably say they would have preferred to play the game and lose, than not play it at all.

Nobody says that in the aftermath of battle.

I have to admire the level of class in all the posts in this thread. It's refreshing to see people who actually discuss football, even an intense rivlary, in a civilized fashion. I'm embarrassed at the level of vitriol in the Ensworth-MBA threads (I was called a "liberal nerd" for suggesting that war metaphors were a little inappropriate at a time when young men slightly older than these players were actually fighting and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan). The exchanges here are more like what this board used to be, and are what one would expect from two classy prep schools.

I hope tomorrow is a good and memorable game for both sides. Still think it's a pity there's no mud though.

Unfortunately the MBA QB was a casualty in that game.

I guess it wasn't a "war, battle, conflict" but just a little ole backyard football game on West End.

While watching Brentwood vs Centennial on TV tonight, the uniformed Marine interviewed during the game called tonights game a "battle" of two good teams. Shame on him, how inappropriate.

McCallie 28

Baylor 14

I was at the MBA-Ensworth game. When Colbert was injured, the Ensworth players respectfully took a knee. When the MBA players prayed, it appeared to me that most of the Ensworth players did the same. That doesn't happen in combat. You exult in your opponent's casualties, because that becomes one less who is capable of making you a casualty. I have played in football games, and I have been in combat. The two are polar opposites.

You are right about one thing (why can't I get the image of a blind hog with an ear of corn out of my head right now?): it was just a little ole football game. Nothing more than that. Even on the MBA side, most everybody had a pretty good time. Even the players would probably say they would have preferred to play the game and lose, than not play it at all.

Nobody says that in the aftermath of battle.

I would think most humans who kill in war would temporarily be elated followed by remorse.

In football to lay the wood to an opponent on a play who is slow to get up would have a similar effect.

But if the opponent doen't get up and is carted off the field, there would be a feeling of remorse also.

Feelings of guilt and regret travel neural pathways in a manner that mimics the tracings of ingrained fear, so a prophylactic against one could guard against the other.

The web of your worst nightmares, your hauntings and panics and shame, radiates from a dense knot of neurons called the amygdala. With each new frightening or humiliating experience, or even the reliving of an old one, this fear center triggers a release of hormones that sear horrifying impressions into your brain. That which is unbearable becomes unforgettable too. Unless, it seems, you act quickly enough to block traumatic memories from taking a stranglehold.

Oh well, it is almost Friday night.

Lets talk football.

Thank you for your kind words. Through the last few years I have always been impressed with your love of MBA but also your love of D2 football in Tennessee....also for being objective about it. I have noticed the threads concerning Ensworth vs MBA and the negative turn it seems to take. I have wondered if it is because Ensworth is so new and trying too hard to create the rivarly (if that makes sense) or because of the close ties to Ensworth, the coaching situation, players changing, etc. Not sure what it is...but I certainly hope it changes in years to come.

However, I have always appreciated the way you represent your school this many years later as a gentleman....because like it or not....the way we post can be seen through others eyes as a reflection of our school.

Yes, Baylor and McCallie joined MBA in having artificial turf. It looks fantastic....but even though I don't want to watch and sit out in rain to see a game....it is fun to watch players play in the mud. I really enjoy watching NFL games (from the comfort of my home) with snow just pouring down.

If MBA gets a large lead tomorrow night maybe you can switch your internet game for a few minutes to the Baylor/McCallie game. Go Baylor!

Yes, Baylor and McCallie joined MBA in having artificial turf. It looks fantastic....but even though I don't want to watch and sit out in rain to see a game....it is fun to watch players play in the mud. I really enjoy watching NFL games (from the comfort of my home) with snow just pouring down.

If MBA gets a large lead tomorrow night maybe you can switch your internet game for a few minutes to the Baylor/McCallie game. Go Baylor!

What is the experience down there with injuries since they put down the rug? MBA's first year was uttelry disastrous: one injury right after another, and it seemed as though all of them were crucial. MBA finished the year running something like the single wing because they'd run out of quarterbacks. It seems to have levelled off this year, with one critical knee injury on the turf. And let's face it, that's pretty much unavoidable no matter what the surface (sad though, in that it was his senior year, and his dad lost his senior year at MBA to the same injury).

Well Red Raider Nation....not that you can really go by the "so called" designated expects that pick who they think will win. BUT....just listed on chattanoogan.com the "experts" picked Baylor to beat McCallie by a 5-2 margin. They also picked my Red Bank Lions to keep rolling by a 7-0 margin. Again, not that it means anything....but we all know how we like to see who is picked and love it when our team is picked. Good luck on a good game and Go Red Bank!

Excellent article today on chattanoogan.com under sports about the McCallie/Baylor history and rivarly. Branton did an excellent job and it really shows how special it is. Tonight is the night....rain, rain go away!

Heavens yes, wet carpet smells bad.

(Heavy sigh) Lots of progress, but not so much improvement.

Stay safe tonight and enjoy what should be a great game. If someone were to use the board to keep those of us watching the important games (just kidding) apprised of developments, I'd be grateful.

Excellent article today on chattanoogan.com under sports about the McCallie/Baylor history and rivarly. Branton did an excellent job and it really shows how special it is. Tonight is the night....rain, rain go away!

Heavens yes, wet carpet smells bad.

(Heavy sigh) Lots of progress, but not so much improvement.

Stay safe tonight and enjoy what should be a great game. If someone were to use the board to keep those of us watching the important games (just kidding) apprised of developments, I'd be grateful.

Unfortunately for me I am unable to attend the game in person tonight....but I will be watching it at home on the big screen. So I will have my laptop and will do some updating for sure. Good luck to MBA tonight.