Two officials, thumbs up or down?

worden55

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thumbs down. Too much cost for what you get. Most of the time it seems you just get a ref and a sub blower. I think refs get $50 to $65 per match. Paying 2 for an hour and half match is $80 per hour that is good money. This will drive up ticket prices to pay for this plus it takes money out of schools budgets for Volleyball. Have them at the State and District, Region Championship. I have rather pay for good line judges or score keepers.

I would agree with ChattDaddy. Most of the time our down ref is a "ref in training" -- not experienced enough to be an R1.

There were some TERRIBLE calls tonight by our R2...I'll bet we had a half-dozen in or under the net calls on both teams that were bad. Clean kills were taken away from both teams. Let the girls play against each other, not against the calls.

I am absolutly for this improvement. The first year it will be tough, because of the inexperience of the officials. It is a good sign that Voleyball is progressing enough in our state for this to happen. This should have happened years ago. It will help our officiating overall, it will just take a little time. The up ref can focus more on their responsibility, rather then the net. Maybe someday we will have a state tournament that doesn't start at 9:30 AM on a Tuesday....small steps!

I hope Clifford20 is right...My vote is to remove them all, they seem to become more inconsistent and out of touch with the game each year. My particular pet peeve is the lift or carry call, seems they all like to pick one critical play each match to call the mandatory lift, meanwhile ignoring carries by the middles and other blatant lifts the rest of the match.

I vote that we keep them. The game is so much faster than it used to be that it is almost impossible for one person to follow everything and do a good job, and linesmen are unpredictable. I don't think, however, an R2 should be paid the same as an up official.

As a former ref, "calling down" is a piece of cake -- as compared to the job of the R1. But serving as an R2 is a great training ground for new officials. When I started out calling volleyball, I would have loved to have had a few weeks under the direction of an experienced official.

I vote you keep them, but pay an R2 $10 or $20 less per match.

I think that the idea is a good one, but as several on here have mentioned, the end result this year has not been that great. Like all things, I would expect it to get better in time. It will be up to those in charge to continue to try and seek out quality people to become officials and make sure that they are fully prepared to handle it.

That said, I would not not hold my breath... :popcorneater:

• 7 months later...

Boy has it been a while and will likely be a while again. Just passing through, catching up.

Yes, it's true, many R2s are referees-in-training. When I started out, seemingly ages ago, I had absolutely zero training. Throw me to the lions and go. But as was said, the game is a lot faster than it used to be. Some matches, it's true, the R2 seems to do nothing but take care of subs. Other matches, the R2 is a complete life saver. It's like anything else: knowledge, training, and experience are the only teachers.

Nashville has gone way farther to teach officials and it's still a growing experience for those doing the teaching. We do clinics and lots and lots of education opportunities for the less experienced. Just like in school, some soak it up and excel, some don't pay attention, others will just squeak by or drop out. I always hope that my R2 is someone who is either knowledgeable or is trainable... it's important that the R1 not only have a teachable partner, but that the R1 knows how to get maximum value from their partner and themselves know what to do!

Finally, rumor has it that all varsity matches will require R1/R2 beginning with the 2011-2012 season; for 2010-2011, it is an option. I heard it in the off-season.. as always, don't take it as gospel, but seek your own sources for confirmation.

A suggestion, let the home coach decide how many are needed each match. Sme schools do not need two due to the classification. Even some District games do not need two. Let the home coach decide how many and schedule it. If games will be a war and highly competitive, have two.

Let the coaches decide. They will do the right thing according to the matches. And I do agree, there are other matters likely more important as far as issues that a position needs to be taken on that won't cost much but taking a position is a political mess that no one will give on. Sounds like the Football playoffs. However, don't want to stay there all week unless its at a smaller venue.

• 1 month later...

Announcements