Should referee work his Alma Mater?

ogor

Ok. This topic came up on another thread. Should a referee work a game where the alma mater he played for and graduated from was participating?

Here was my response on the other thread (I removed the school's name in an attempt to stay on topic and reduce defensive responses:

Here goes my futal attempt to enlighten some folks.

I don't know this referee, but if he graduated from (school name), and he is refereeing (school name) games, then there is a problem. I commend you for sticking up for this guy, but you "are" missing the point. I am as defensive as the next guy, but I try to see the big picture now and then. A great official would not put himself in those games. It is unfortunate that this has not been addressed before now. Believe it or not, despite fan's reactions to referees, there is a certain level of trust and respect that most people have for referees. Dual realtionships such as alumni, family, work, etc. destroys that trust and respect. Here are a couple of referee standards to keep in mind:

Integrity

Referees seek to promote integrity in the practice of refereeing.

Referees are honest, fair, and respectful of others.

Referees do no make statements that are false, misleading, or deceptive.

Referees strive to be aware of their own belief systems, values, needs, and limitations and the

effect of these on their work. To the extent feasible, they attempt to clarify for relevant parties,

the role they are performing and to function appropriately in accordance with that role.

Referees avoid improper and potentially harmful dual relationships.

In many communities and situations, it may not be feasible or reasonable for

Referees to avoid social or other nonprofessional contacts with athletes and

coaches and other participants. Referees must always be sensitive to the potentially

harmful effects of other contacts on their work and on those persons with whom

they deal. A referee refrains from entering into or promising another personal,

professional, financial, or other relationship with such persons if it appears likely

that such a relationship reasonable might impair the referee’s objectivity or

otherwise interfere with the referee’s effective performance of his or her functions

as a referee, or might harm or exploit the other party. Where ever feasible, a referee must refrain from taking on professional obligations when preexisting relationship would create a risk of such harm.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might be the most honest man on the field but that is not a situation that I would put myself in. No matter what happens, you are going to be blamed for every little thing that went wrong by one side or the other - too tough on the alma mater, home-cooking, etc. Just not a good move for a varsity football game...JV or freshman, no biggie, just a glorified scrimmage anyway.

The answer, of course, is no. It was a question of something that happened. It was not a presumption that this ref was calling his alma mater game because it was on tape and his name was called by CSS's announcers. Yet, all we hear is defending the guy and denying it happened. Wasn't our game, but still I wonder how many times over the years this has happened with them, this guy...or any school with an alumni? Like you said they "missed the point" of the chance of questionable calls occuring, and trusting that the officials are not biased. How much clearer can it get?

Ok. This topic came up on another thread. Should a referee work a game where the alma mater he played for and graduated from was participating?

Here was my response on the other thread (I removed the school's name in an attempt to stay on topic and reduce defensive responses:

Here goes my futal attempt to enlighten some folks.

I don't know this referee, but if he graduated from (school name), and he is refereeing (school name) games, then there is a problem. I commend you for sticking up for this guy, but you "are" missing the point. I am as defensive as the next guy, but I try to see the big picture now and then. A great official would not put himself in those games. It is unfortunate that this has not been addressed before now. Believe it or not, despite fan's reactions to referees, there is a certain level of trust and respect that most people have for referees. Dual realtionships such as alumni, family, work, etc. destroys that trust and respect. Here are a couple of referee standards to keep in mind:

Integrity

Referees seek to promote integrity in the practice of refereeing.

Referees are honest, fair, and respectful of others.

Referees do no make statements that are false, misleading, or deceptive.

Referees strive to be aware of their own belief systems, values, needs, and limitations and the

effect of these on their work. To the extent feasible, they attempt to clarify for relevant parties,

the role they are performing and to function appropriately in accordance with that role.

Referees avoid improper and potentially harmful dual relationships.

In many communities and situations, it may not be feasible or reasonable for

Referees to avoid social or other nonprofessional contacts with athletes and

coaches and other participants. Referees must always be sensitive to the potentially

harmful effects of other contacts on their work and on those persons with whom

they deal. A referee refrains from entering into or promising another personal,

professional, financial, or other relationship with such persons if it appears likely

that such a relationship reasonable might impair the referee’s objectivity or

otherwise interfere with the referee’s effective performance of his or her functions

as a referee, or might harm or exploit the other party. Where ever feasible, a referee must refrain from taking on professional obligations when preexisting relationship would create a risk of such harm.

WHEN FEASIBLE, NO.

In some regards, a judge and referee has the same responsibilities, and when there's a possible conflict of interest the referee or better yet TSSAA, should make sure nothing questionable happens to reflect favortism for or against a particular team. Just as TSSAA expects the schools and players to meet certain standards to qualify in playing regular and playoff games, we the public,players and coaches should expect the highest of standards from our referees. and TSSAA should make sure with all confidence that this standard is always being met.