Will TSSAA Change Format before next year?

13sports

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are going to blow this up in their next meeting:

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091101/SPORTS08/911010336/1006/SPORTS/TSSAA-s-Childress-unhappy-with-football-playoff-system

I am sending my suggestion into the TSSAA Monday morning (I work right down the road from them) :hungry:

If Childress is prepared to tackle this head on, I think he can regain a lot of respect as the new TSSAA leader. It is comforting to see that he understands the positions of the coaches etc and it sounds as if he wants it fixed sooner than later.

Mathis from Tullahoma talks about tweaks, to me that sounds like putting a band-aid on a severed leg.

Lets look at the reality. Every time the T$$AA messes with it, it gets WORSE! :thumb:

Now ask yourself one thing, do you really want them tuning this or going back to the way it was last year? If folks do then the T$$AA needs to be flooded with calls from across the state. Same goes for every rep to the T$$AA and board member. NO peace for anyone until it is fixed!

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and our wheel needs to be fixed NOW! :hungry:

One factor, if not the major factor that helped created the present

system is the private school factor. The smaller schools wanted

to get them out of the lower classifications, especially 1A.

The process of trying to find a solution created political fatigue.

When some schools saw that they could get into the playoffs in

the new (present) system but not the old system, they brought into it.

The major reasons we have six classifications are to spread out the impact

of private schools and increase the probabilty of getting into the playoffs.

Why did Ronnie Carter want this plan? Was it his attempt to do the greatest

good for the greatest number?

Another factor was travel. This system was supposed to cut down

on travel and save money. Some people felt that they had to agree

to this plan to save money. Has this plan actually saved travel expenses?

Has it increased gate revenue? (Bad year to measure gates with all the rain).

Go back to the old system with five classifications and the private - public debate

will dominate the debate.

One factor, if not the major factor that helped created the present

system is the private school factor. The smaller schools wanted

to get them out of the lower classifications, especially 1A.

The process of trying to find a solution created political fatigue.

When some schools saw that they could get into the playoffs in

the new (present) system but not the old system, they brought into it.

The major reasons we have six classifications are to spread out the impact

of private schools and increase the probabilty of getting into the playoffs.

Why did Ronnie Carter want this plan? Was it his attempt to do the greatest

good for the greatest number?

Another factor was travel. This system was supposed to cut down

on travel and save money. Some people felt that they had to agree

to this plan to save money. Has this plan actually saved travel expenses?

Has it increased gate revenue? (Bad year to measure gates with all the rain).

Go back to the old system with five classifications and the private - public debate

will dominate the debate.

Yep! rural small schools vs smaller private non-scholarship schools was one of the main reasons for this change. I don't think folks driving to Arlington and Lawrence Co will say it cut down on travel - and I am pretty sure the Shelbyville folks will say it didn't :hungry:

Given the current system I would make two changes without putting too much thought into it.

1. Keep the same criteria currently in play for "possible" auto births but add the rule that you must finish in the top 4 of your district (A, AA, AAA) to receive one. If there is a district of 5 or smaller teams then you must finish in the top half. That way it lessens the chance that 3-7 or worse teams are getting auto bids while 5-5 teams sit at home.

2. Scrap the seeding system and start over. Guarantee district winners and runners-up a first round home game but after that a wild card can be a 3 seed if they fit the bill.

Yeah, good points. For instance, in Shelbyville's Quad 2 of 5A: if they would have won three more games and finished 8-2 this year (instead of 5-5) and still finished third in 5A district teams (still earn a wild card bid) behind Columbia and Lawrence County, they still would have been seeded #8 in their quadrant in this system and 1-9 White County woud remain seeded #6, so basically teams are not rewarded like they should be in this system. Shelbyville beat White County 48-0 this year with the mercy rule in full effect the entire second half. The seeding process is awful! It must be corrected immediately next year. I'm okay with everything else.

Granted, we all pay most attention to what hits us closest to home, so I am naturally looking at Quad 3 for 6A. What kind of moronic nonsence does it make for 10-0 Arlington, the ONLY undefeted 6A team from the Memphis area to be moved into a different quad?!?!?! Why in the world is it not a Wild Card team from the area? Such as Cordova (that one's for you Hogan) but seriously, who and how does one justify that one?!?!? :ph34r: