Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't get to listen to the game, only got WGNS scoring updates via text message while I was at work, so my thoughts on the game are limited. I knew and stated earlier that by strictly looking at the seasons stats that Maryville's passing game would play a huge factor and might be the advantage that put them over the top. Sounds like that held to be true.

Big statement game for Maryville and GQ. Congratulations to the staff and the boys in the uniforms...However, I think there is too many posters here pounding their own chests. IDK where all this "BIG BOY" talk came from, but you must've been Rodney Dangerfield-ed by all your other opponents all year and letting some frustration out now. I understand that but no Riverdale fans on this thread have knocked Maryville and given them any lack of respect heading into this game. Maryville has proven themselves to all the naysayers though, and will represent all the "BIG BOYS" in 6A in Cookeville next week.

Great job to the boys of the 'Dale, it sounds like it was a fight til the end and you guys showed NO QUIT, which will be remembered for a long time. Nothing I or anyone else can say to the seniors to make them feel better who feel like they missed a heckuva opportunity, but you represented us and Middle Tennessee well. Underclassmen, work hard this offseason and do your thing, bring these guys to the Boro for next year's semis and do what you wish you had done tonight :lol:

As stated by others, the turnovers against a team like Maryville were too hard to overcome. You gotta make competition like that drive 70 or 80 yards for touchdowns every possession to have a chance. Can't give them guys a short field or they'll make you pay.

And I'm sure all that traveled will show their faces here tomorrow, just give them time to get home and get some sleep, hope all on both sides of the stadium at the game thoroughly enjoyed their night and had a safe trip back to their East/Middle TN homes.

Just got home my BUTT is still sore from that SPANKING we just took. I want to start this post by saying we never said ANYTHING ABOUT MARYVILLE PLAYING WITH THE BIG BOYS WE HAVE ALWAYS GIVEN YALL RESPECT YOU DESERVE SO PLEASE QUIT THROWING THE BIG BOY STUFF AT US AND THROW IT TO THE OTHER TEAMS

now on to the game I thought that if we didnt turn the ball over we should win the game HOWEVER we had 3 turnovers right off the bat and maryville took them all for TDs. when we werent turning the ball over we moved the ball decent but defensivly we could not stop maryville.

Maryville is a WELL COACHED TEAM and I knew that you have to eliminate mistakes in order to beat them and we did not do that. there were times if we made a play here or caught the ball there we might could have gotten back into it but those things never happened

good game maryville. Yall are coached well enough to know that you didnt win state tonight nor did you act like it. It was nice for a rare time after we got beat there was no big celebration they got in line and shook our hands I was proud of our boys as they didnt throw helments or throw fits they lined up and shook hands.

I am very proud of this team led by Cody West he put this team on his back and that is why we got as far as we did he did great things off the field that a lot of people dont konw about and really brought this team together we did not achieve our goal BUT it was a nice ride and thank you WARRIORS

GO WARRIORS

Just got home my BUTT is still sore from that SPANKING we just took. I want to start this post by saying we never said ANYTHING ABOUT MARYVILLE PLAYING WITH THE BIG BOYS WE HAVE ALWAYS GIVEN YALL RESPECT YOU DESERVE SO PLEASE QUIT THROWING THE BIG BOY STUFF AT US AND THROW IT TO THE OTHER TEAMS

now on to the game I thought that if we didnt turn the ball over we should win the game HOWEVER we had 3 turnovers right off the bat and maryville took them all for TDs. when we werent turning the ball over we moved the ball decent but defensivly we could not stop maryville.

Maryville is a WELL COACHED TEAM and I knew that you have to eliminate mistakes in order to beat them and we did not do that. there were times if we made a play here or caught the ball there we might could have gotten back into it but those things never happened

good game maryville. Yall are coached well enough to know that you didnt win state tonight nor did you act like it. It was nice for a rare time after we got beat there was no big celebration they got in line and shook our hands I was proud of our boys as they didnt throw helments or throw fits they lined up and shook hands.

I am very proud of this team led by Cody West he put this team on his back and that is why we got as far as we did he did great things off the field that a lot of people dont konw about and really brought this team together we did not achieve our goal BUT it was a nice ride and thank you WARRIORS

GO WARRIORS

Riverdaleman,the BIG BOY talk is certainly not directed at you guys it is directed towards a whole bunch of people from all over the state dating back several years. we've had to listen to wait until you move up, wait until you move up, and have to play with the BIG BOYS then we'll see how good you really are. and now we're just poking back at them, and amazingly enough they are nowhere to be found now. LOL again no disrespect to Riverdale I thought as a whole you guys were a very classy bunch.

thoughts on the game turnovers will kill you against a good team.

GQ never ceases to amaze me with his ability to find and exploit weaknesses and set up plays with less successful plays.

15 for Riverdale is a stud. I know he's the qb but he would carry it 25-30 times a game for me

15 for MHS is a stud as well he can beat you with his arm or his legs and that is tough to defend.

buddy jones was a work horse tonight with around 160 yards rushing

all around great effort by our O line giving a lot of size and handled themselves very well

I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves tonight except for the outcome of course and I look forward to playing this game at your house next year.

The " Big Boys " reference as was stated earlier in the week Is not aimed at Riverdale at all , sorry for the misunderstanding . You guys have no Idea what Maryville has had to hear from the former 5A east Tn teams over the last 10 years , I'm sure if you guys had been disrespected as much as Maryville has been you would at least enjoy a little good natured ribbing back . Riverdale was a class act , you guys have been great to talk to this week , and as a Maryville fan I apologize for not being more clear who the " Big boys " reference was being aimed at . Believe me , these Maryville boys have played with a Chip on their shoulder all year because of all the crap they've had to listen to ...... and I'm very proud of them for proving all of their doubters wrong . Good luck next year to Riverdale and hopefully this is just the first of many more battles to come over the next several years .

First of all congratulations to Maryville. You are a well coached team and execute the game plan well. I would have to agree with the two previous posters - not sure why the need to keep throwing out Big Boys comments as I have not read any posts from Riverdale fans claiming anything but respect for your program except one and he does that to every team Riverdale plays. You won and we lost. You were the better team tonight. That's it. Keep the same class that you have had all week.

I thought we would struggle with the Maryville passing game but was surprised that they had so much success on the ground. After stopping a powerful running game of both Blackman and Oakland I thought we would do better against the run and we did not. The second lost fumble so early in the game was tough and the interception was a dagger.

Sad to see the season end this way as I have been impressed with the character and leadership of this senior class. After a dissapointing year last season they really stepped up. Keep your heads high seniors as you set a great example for the players behind you.

This is not why we lost so don't start jumping on this comment but I thought that we had an SEC officiating crew tonigh. Worst one I have seen this year by far regardless of where they were from. Funny thing though - same thing happened as when I watch the Vols play - no matter how much I yell they never change a call or do anything different. I am starting to doubt that the refs even hear me - I thought it was just because I was at Neyland with 100K fans but they did not seem to hear me tonight either. Oh well - at least it makes me feel better and I get it out of my system. :lol:

Good luck next week Maryville. You have a great program and congratulations on the win. Hope to see you again in the years to come.

The " Big Boys " reference as was stated earlier in the week Is not aimed at Riverdale at all , sorry for the misunderstanding . You guys have no Idea what Maryville has had to hear from the former 5A east Tn teams over the last 10 years , I'm sure if you guys had been disrespected as much as Maryville has been you would at least enjoy a little good natured ribbing back . Riverdale was a class act , you guys have been great to talk to this week , and as a Maryville fan I apologize for not being more clear who the " Big boys " reference was being aimed at . Believe me , these Maryville boys have played with a Chip on their shoulder all year because of all the crap they've had to listen to ...... and I'm very proud of them for proving all of their doubters wrong . Good luck next year to Riverdale and hopefully this is just the first of many more battles to come over the next several years .

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused because it did not reflect the class that you guys had demonstrated all week. Good luck next week.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused because it did not reflect the class that you guys had demonstrated all week. Good luck next week.

and if you go over to the Maryville/White Station thread we've just learned that now we can't play with the better private schools. it took all of 4 posts.

and if you go over to the Maryville/White Station thread we've just learned that now we can't play with the better private schools. it took all of 4 posts.

Perhaps because this was posted...

Maryville not only played with the big boys...they dominated them!!! No way any other team in the state can beat Maryville the way they are playing now!

With exception of the game's outcome, I hope you enjoyed the trip to Maryville.

Go Rebels....Roadtrip to Cookeville next week!!!!! :lol:

Game administrator was great! SRO officer was a nice to us. Principal was great to us. Ian, the bartender at Aubreys and the rest of the Aubreys crew was great! (They may have set a record for Black Friday sales?) Other than the outcome, it was a great trip. I would have been here earlier but grand-daughter ran the wireless mouse's battery down and watching my Tide on the DVR.

Have a safe trip to Cookeville. Like I told our local radio broadcasting crew before they game, if Maryville gets lucky and wins championships their sign on the scoreboard tells me they somehow got lucky 55 times - LOL!!!

The game tonight was basically a Big 12 game and we needed it to be an SEC or Big 10 game. Maryville channeled Mike Leech's Texas Tech offense and Riverdale tried to be a Texas but the turnovers kept us from holding serve. Pick-6 late in second quarter was a back-breaker. If we could have came out and scored on the first possession of the second half it would have been a better game but Maryville made a big stop (#74 is HUGE!) and then milked several minutes off the clock before Riverdale could force them to punt.

Thanks for having us. Be sure to tell Ian and the nice lady at the hostess's desk at Aubreys we had a great time and they did a great job! Maybe we can make this a tradition in the coming years?