Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

For those equating this years R'dale team with teams of old, I can only say one thing. Gary Rankin. Y'all do remember him I hope. The match up of both schools 2004 teams would have been a classic.

I will also say I think Maryville will take home the very first 6A Gold Ball next week. The best team for this year won last night.

The plain fact that most do not like to face is we got out played and out coached yesterday. It also hurt that we do not see passing teams like Maryville as most teams here are primarily run orientated. That is why the wingT works here but still has NOT won the Gold Ball in this state.

Maryville, yet once again you have won the respect of some here in Middle Tn. Now go out there next week and win it ALL!

Might be a whole other thread but it will be tough to ever go all the way with the wing t. The wishbone was the spread offense of my day (shows you how old I am) but now you never see it except on old high light films. There is a reason for that, it does not work anymore. Most kids probably never even heard of the wishbone. The wing t is outdated and will make it tough to win a gold ball for whoever runs it at this level.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those equating this years R'dale team with teams of old, I can only say one thing. Gary Rankin. Y'all do remember him I hope. The match up of both schools 2004 teams would have been a classic.

I will also say I think Maryville will take home the very first 6A Gold Ball next week. The best team for this year won last night.

The plain fact that most do not like to face is we got out played and out coached yesterday. It also hurt that we do not see passing teams like Maryville as most teams here are primarily run orientated. That is why the wingT works here but still has NOT won the Gold Ball in this state.

Maryville, yet once again you have won the respect of some here in Middle Tn. Now go out there next week and win it ALL!

Might be a whole other thread but it will be tough to ever go all the way with the wing t. The wishbone was the spread offense of my day (shows you how old I am) but now you never see it except on old high light films. There is a reason for that, it does not work anymore. Most kids probably never even heard of the wishbone. The wing t is outdated and will make it tough to win a gold ball for whoever runs it at this level.

I was hoping this team would prove me wrong...ive said since the hiring that you cant win state at the highest level with wing T the coaches and players are too good for it to WIN STATE i think you can go 9-1 or 8-2 every year but to WIN state i dont think so

Not true!

I just watched Mississippi State use it and score. The run it as their goal line offense. :thumb:

On the winged-T -

Be careful - there are some die-hard wing-T supporters around these parts who don't agree with your (and my) thoughts on the wing-T. They'll tear you a new one if you are not careful. IMO, it can win through 3A or 4A but won't ever win a 5A or 6A title.

I think the last team that won above 3A with it under the old system was Cleveland in 95 when they won 4A.

I agree guys, its a tough offense to have to play catch up with. you get a couple of early turnovers like last night and the other team gets 3 scores up and its all but impossible to "dance with the one that brung ya". I may be totally wrong but it seemed last night that your receivers, while being tremendously athletic were just not used to having to catch the ball i.e. several drops. I thought the QB threw it pretty well he just didn't have a lot of help. some one earlier in the thread mentioned the running style of play that the mid state teams play versus MHS type of spread if thats the case then it would seem to me that it would be harder for the mid state teams to simulate the spread and its air attack in practice than it would for us to simulate the run, which might also contribute to the wingt not being able to go all the way. maybe I'm way off but it seems to be the case.

I was hoping this team would prove me wrong...ive said since the hiring that you cant win state at the highest level with wing T the coaches and players are too good for it to WIN STATE i think you can go 9-1 or 8-2 every year but to WIN state i dont think so

You are an "idiot"..................What state are you referring to?? Is this just the state of TN that you cannot win by running a particular offense!! because just south of us is a place called:

Georgia (which is a pretty good HS football state) is basically dominated by wing teams. Best team in GA this year (Grayson #6 in the country) is a wing team.

So what you are saying is that the best teams in GA (Lowndes Co, Grayson, Camden) which have dominated that state AND win at the highest level running the wing offense, BUT if they came to Tennessee and played; would not win at the highest level.

Please explain that stupid logic to me...................the problem is that you do not like Ron Aydelott (and never will) and it has festered to the point of lunacy.

I really hope that Ron would come to his senses and find him another place to go...............you do not deserve him.

I agree guys, its a tough offense to have to play catch up with. you get a couple of early turnovers like last night and the other team gets 3 scores up and its all but impossible to "dance with the one that brung ya". I may be totally wrong but it seemed last night that your receivers, while being tremendously athletic were just not used to having to catch the ball i.e. several drops. I thought the QB threw it pretty well he just didn't have a lot of help. some one earlier in the thread mentioned the running style of play that the mid state teams play versus MHS type of spread if thats the case then it would seem to me that it would be harder for the mid state teams to simulate the spread and its air attack in practice than it would for us to simulate the run, which might also contribute to the wingt not being able to go all the way. maybe I'm way off but it seems to be the case.

Usually those balls are caught for whatever reason last night we didnt catch it very good #5 has been very dependable all year last night he just couldnt catch it #33 has decent hands and there was 1 or 2 i thought he shoulda had but overall we usually do catch the ball better. there are many teams that runs the spread in this area we just dont face them. And under Rankin they never had success against us. our QB had thrown it good all year he is a good QB and a great leader of this team. This team has a lot of kids that i have known since they were 6 so i really hate it for these kids and Cody was 1 of those kids he played baseball with my son and I am real proud of Cody

So i am an idiot who is STILL WAITING to be PROVEN WRONG!!! Why is it that i do not like an offense and that means i do not like coach A? to be honest with you i dont really know him. I do not like the offense. it has nothing to do with him I am not familiar with georgia I live in TN and I am still waiting in fact under the wing T this is the farthest we have gone but its ok that I am an idiot but keep in mind this idiot has been there all the way even when the stands were empty last year thank you

THE IDIOT

You are an "idiot"..................What state are you referring to?? Is this just the state of TN that you cannot win by running a particular offense!! because just south of us is a place called:

Georgia (which is a pretty good HS football state) is basically dominated by wing teams. Best team in GA this year (Grayson #6 in the country) is a wing team.

So what you are saying is that the best teams in GA (Lowndes Co, Grayson, Camden) which have dominated that state AND win at the highest level running the wing offense, BUT if they came to Tennessee and played; would not win at the highest level.

Please explain that stupid logic to me...................the problem is that you do not like Ron Aydelott (and never will) and it has festered to the point of lunacy.

I really hope that Ron would come to his senses and find him another place to go...............you do not deserve him.

I offer exhibit A as evidence for what I said a few posts earlier. :thumb:

OK, I wasted my gas, time, 8 dollars on the little blue entry ticket to see a well coached team out play the mighty Riverdale. No the stripped shirts did not call a bad game. But I did think that it was an un-level field - for two reasons - the End Zone to left of vistor stands, in front of the trees was a joke thus un-level, But mostly Maryville's offense schooled Riverdale's defense. While the "Mighty" was being boat raced, I never saw the DC called the defense over to re group.

Could it be that Rutherford County schools rarely face a throwing team? The yards and yards of cushion that the Maryville receivers got was huge. Hey Coach Wells - put somebody on #9. Turn in the equipment Monday guys. I'm just crossing my fingers it rains next year when Blackman plays the wing-t.

So i am an idiot who is STILL WAITING to be PROVEN WRONG!!! Why is it that i do not like an offense and that means i do not like coach A? to be honest with you i dont really know him. I do not like the offense. it has nothing to do with him I am not familiar with georgia I live in TN and I am still waiting in fact under the wing T this is the farthest we have gone but its ok that I am an idiot but keep in mind this idiot has been there all the way even when the stands were empty last year thank you

THE IDIOT

Hey riverdaleman you ARE NOT an idiot! TN is not Georgia and that BIG GOON who came on this site and wrote that needs to keep his opinion in Georgia. Not my favorite offense either. I personally like some of the spread and I and other various formations to not only run but to pass the ball around. I think at any level if you can pass as Maryville proved last night and all year and the last 11 years or more you can pretty much beat anyone! But you also have to play defense as you know it wins championships! I feel Coach A is a class act and good man and that's what he knows and its his team and thats ok! I don't know why people have to say you hate the man, that is ignorance at it's best so ignore that GOON from Georgia! Sorry to ramble on just a few of my opinions about football in general! I know last year was tough and would of been in the stands if I still lived in the BORO but sadly I don't! Sure do miss it though. I always do listen via the internet religiously! GO WARRIORS! Start working hard for next year! :thumb::thumb:

Much has been said here over the last week, much of it surprisingly civil/respectful but then again that is not unusual between two programs that have no history with one another. Riverdaleman I told you that the ADMIN / STAFF at MARYVILLE would be very gracious and accomadating, and that Riverdale would be treated just as every other program / team that has come to the BLACKHOLE. I hope yall experienced nothing short of that. With all the love and respect (apologetics) that is being spewed forth on here I would like to say that the "BIG BOY" comment has been thrown at MARYVILLE for at least 10 years that I have been following the program. Mainly by those East Tn teams who did not have to play MARYVILLE but were jealous of their success and accomplishments. They have since been silenced. Here in MARYVILLE , we have always heard of RIVERDALE , their successes, accomplishments and their solid program. MARYVILLE has a healthy respect for RIVERDALE. Congrats on a great season.

I think that Riverdale overlooked a down MARYVILLE team last night, as it was said in their local media and on their local chat boards... MARYVILLE has not played anyone and is just lucky. They lost to a little 2A school (ALCOA) how good could they really be. I read where the Riverdale QB (great player btw) guaranteed the home folks that they would take MARYVILLE down (how'd that workout for ya). I also have read on here in several post game post that MARYVILLE won due to superior coaching, while that is true I would like to say how classless that comment really is... GQ , GAYLOR , ELLIS ,M. WHITE , WALKER, ROBINETTE,RUSSELL , N. WHITE , UPTON , BLACK , YOUNG (sorry if I left anyone out) did not get to dress out last night. It is true that MARYVILLE does not always have the best athletes but I have watched them time and time again manhandle those that do as was the case last night. Our little ol boys , who are just lucky, I might add, according to some of the Riverdale fans I heard , did a pretty good job of taking care of business. Us MARYVILLE fans get a little riled when people slight the ability of our kids. Although I believe that most of the Riverdale faithful were a classy bunch there were a few things you would never see us do: 1) Send our cheerleaders to the opposing side and perform almost derogatory verbal smears to the opposing team 2) make disrespectful remarks in the media about an opponent. I will not bore you with others. I believe that one of the real reasons "yall" got that "L" branded on your butt was because you simply did not think you could be beaten by a little ol 4A turned 6A school who got beat by a GREAT ALCOA team (little ol 3A team) and has not played anyone significant. WELCOME to the BLACKHOLE !!!!!! Again , congratulations on a great season and we hoped yall enjoyed your trip to MARYVILLE.