Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

I dont think we overlooked or belittled Maryville...I think our kids might have been mentally TIRED we played blackman and oakland back to back they are 2 very good football teams that we had to get ready for and when we beat them it was kind a like ahhhhh now maryville it is hard to get ready for 3 games like that...turnovers was our doom and the score was def closer than the game was good game now go win state you got 1 more big boy to beat

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I did think that it was an un-level field - for two reasons - the End Zone to left of vistor stands, in front of the trees was a joke thus un-level, But mostly Maryville's offense schooled Riverdale's defense. While the "Mighty" was being boat raced, I never saw the DC called the defense over to re group.

What the heck are you talking about? The endzone was a joke thus unlevel?

But I did think that it was an un-level field - for two reasons - the End Zone to left of vistor stands, in front of the trees was a joke thus un-level, But mostly Maryville's offense schooled Riverdale's defense. While the "Mighty" was being boat raced, I never saw the DC called the defense over to re group.

What the heck are you talking about? The endzone was a joke thus unlevel?

Hits true oldrebel......Hit and tha whole feeled haz a crown...... :bored:

Guys, it wasn't the wing-t that lost the game Friday night. Lack of execution in the passing game, turnovers, and a very porous defense lost that game. In my earlier post last week, I said it would take our best defensive effort of the year and the wing-t would have to control the ball. We got neither of those things and Maryville made us look silly.

The new look wing-t we had this year has a much higher chance of success than the run-only wing-t that Coach A brought from Hillsboro. It may take a couple years in that new system before we execute well enough to handle a well-oiled machine line the Rebs. I just hope the improvement this year reflects a philosophical change and not just the presence of Cody West. Same with the kicking game...will we go back to total mediocrity when Grayson leaves or have special teams become an important part of the gameplan. Wells improved the defense but can he take it to a championship level? Preparing a pass defense will require a lot of creativity when you practice against the wing-t every day. Things like that will be the key to what the future holds.

However, had the defense come to play and had we executed on offense like we had for most of the year, this would have been a very close game and we had an excellent chance to win. You just can't play bad and win in the playoffs.

However, had the defense come to play and had we executed on offense like we had for most of the year, this would have been a very close game and we had an excellent chance to win. You just can't play bad and win in the playoffs.

Do you really think the defense did not come to play? Does Maryville's offense get any credit for executing well against them? And why do you think riverdale's offense did not execute like they had for most of the year?

I understand the 3 turnovers hurt your team but Maryville had to do something with the opportunities. I personally believe your loss and the team's "bad play" was the result of playing a better team. I don't mean any disrespect to the players. You obviously have some great athletes...but I believe the better "team" won.

After licking the wounds from the worst beating over past 15-20 years I wanted to say "thank you to the Maryville football community & program" because of the "class" in which you showed. In the last 20 years any team that has won against these Warriors has done belly slides and acted like a middle school team that just pulled the upset of the century. I guess when a school is as sucessful as Riverdale was durring the Rankin days it creates tons of haters. IMO our team failed to play at the level needed to beat MHS on both sides of the ball which allowed the blow out in the 1st quarter. I credit the 3 fumbles to MHS def. and going after the ball like a hungy def. should. GQ knew the odds of a wing-t coming back in the 2nd half from a 21 point lead. I really thought the only way Riverdale could win this one on the road would be 1. Control the clock with the run game. 2. Put pressure on qb and survive the trick plays. If you saw the game then you kind of felt "sick" after the first quarter because you new neither would be the case for the Warriors on this Friday night. Thats life lesson 101(some days the bug, some days the windsheild) and for the seniors (majority), life after football began when the last second left the clock in the "black hole" and you have no choice now but to hold your head high and move forward. You men(seniors) made everyone who follows football at RHS very proud! I wish you all the best and again say "Thank you". UNTIL NEXT YR

After licking the wounds from the worst beating over past 15-20 years I wanted to say "thank you to the Maryville football community & program" because of the "class" in which you showed. In the last 20 years any team that has won against these Warriors has done belly slides and acted like a middle school team that just pulled the upset of the century. I guess when a school is as sucessful as Riverdale was durring the Rankin days it creates tons of haters. IMO our team failed to play at the level needed to beat MHS on both sides of the ball which allowed the blow out in the 1st quarter. I credit the 3 fumbles to MHS def. and going after the ball like a hungy def. should. GQ knew the odds of a wing-t coming back in the 2nd half from a 21 point lead. I really thought the only way Riverdale could win this one on the road would be 1. Control the clock with the run game. 2. Put pressure on qb and survive the trick plays. If you saw the game then you kind of felt "sick" after the first quarter because you new neither would be the case for the Warriors on this Friday night. Thats life lesson 101(some days the bug, some days the windsheild) and for the seniors (majority), life after football began when the last second left the clock in the "black hole" and you have no choice now but to hold your head high and move forward. You men(seniors) made everyone who follows football at RHS very proud! I wish you all the best and again say "Thank you". UNTIL NEXT YR

No dog in the hunt other than I live in Rutherford County and root for all Rutherford County teams to do well. Having watched all teams play over the past many many years I can tell you that this group of seniors for Riverdale were excellent leaders and the team played with as much heart and class as any team i have seen in a long time. I hope the younger ones took notes on how to continue that level of leadership. It starts with coaches and parents which tells me regardless of his offense he develops young men. Keep your heads high for representing this county well and especially in the important stuff.

As for Maryville, i did not go to the game but talked to many that did and read this blog often. Everyone said that with the exception of the score it was a good time and good people. Some of the posters here seem to still have a chip on thier shoulder even when they are trying to be complemented. How about this, your team was better, your coach was better, your colors were better, your signs were better, your stadium was better and the scoreboard was better than any in Rutherford County. There do you feel ok now? Geez. The poster that brought up the cheerleaders and took a shot at them shows what a small person they are. You have a good football team and have the success to show for it. Most of the state can't stand Farragut baseball. Not because they are good or because they have had success but because they have some fans that are so obnoxious that the entire program suffers from it. Like it or not fans become a reflection of thier programs and community. You are good and from what people told me at the game a class act. Don't forget the real win here is to use sports as a tool to develop young men. Sounds like your coach and coach a got that figured out. There are good and bad at just about every program. Go win another ball for your trophy case and keep developing young men for life after football because lord knows this country needs them.

COACH MONROE and the Cleveland teams won 3 titles plus many more ballgames with the winged T...

I hope you have noticed he is NOT winning titles with it and the Owls.

My biggest gripe with the WingT is you cannot win with it only by running the ball. Yes we got a quick score with it the other night, but that is NOT the norm as we saw when GQ shut that play down the rest of the night.

The wingT also hurt us in that we didn't get to practice against a good passing game regularly, so when we did come against one it killed us.

There will be some who will now say we don't like it because we don't like Coach A and that he should take his offense somewhere it is appreciated. That is his choice, but that is NOT why folks are upset. The expectation IS the Gold Ball or at least be in the game for it.

I am NOT taking anything from Maryville as they beat us fair and square. What most are really upset about is having a really good bunch of High School players beaten because they did NOT get the training they deserved to be competitive. Is it fair the Coach A is compared to Rankin? No as Coach Rankin did NOT like the passing game either, but he did practice it so his team would be prepared to defend against it.

Now everyone can pile on me and call me a Coach A basher, but I stand by it as it is how I honestly feel. I have nothing against Coach A as a person because I honestly feel he is a good leader. It is just he needs to continue his education this winter like last winter on the pass and how to complete them and defend against them. The day ANYONE quits learning they need to quit period!

As for Maryville, i did not go to the game but talked to many that did and read this blog often. Everyone said that with the exception of the score it was a good time and good people. Some of the posters here seem to still have a chip on thier shoulder even when they are trying to be complemented. How about this, your team was better, your coach was better, your colors were better, your signs were better, your stadium was better and the scoreboard was better than any in Rutherford County. There do you feel ok now? Geez. The poster that brought up the cheerleaders and took a shot at them shows what a small person they are.

As a Knox area high school football fan I root for Maryville's team and admire their coaching staff. Anyone who had seen this program over the years knew that the Rebels took a backseat to no one. Maryville has been a big dog and will continue to be a big dog. Some of their "loudest" supporters on this site, however, suffer terribly from Little Man's Disease. Maybe the first 6A state championship will serve as a panacea. I'm hoping -- and expecting -- that it happens.

Great job and good luck to Maryville!!

You choose to ignore the majority of the Classy Maryville posters . Look forward to you pointing out the few Farragut & Ooltewah posters who embarass their team ..... or does your bias not allow you to see any rude posters other than a Maryville fan ?

Thanks, I guess, for reinforcing the impression. If anything even slightly unflattering is said --not about the team or coaches, but a vocal minority of diaper obsessed fans-- then I’m “biased”. In addition we should all fall over ourselves lavishing individual praise on the “classy” posters --who just want to be recognized as such. Seriously, is this about football or potty training.

I have stated in the past what I thought of some Farragut and Ooltewah posts (others too), but I’m not the post police. I think it’s safe to assume we view high school football from very different perspectives. I don’t consider myself a supporter of strictly one school in the Knox area. My roots don’t run that deep here. Obviously yours do, and that’s great. But when winning on the field --and being complimented on it-- isn’t enough, one has issues.

Nice edit, by the way, removing the grave warning (and tired cliché) that I shouldn’t point fingers(?) till I’ve “walked a mile in your shoes”. Are the shoes really that poor and the mile truly so grueling for the Maryville faithful --not “walking”, but along for the ride-- as the players and coaches shoot for the program’s 8th title in 10 years?! Try to enjoy it.

Here’s hoping for a Maryville win and that with it, we can stop the “abuse” pepvol shared with me before striking its mention from his post.