Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

Local paper's coverage of the game;

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091128/SPORTS08/911280310/Warriors-run-comes-to-end Warriors' run comes to end

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091128/SPORTS08/911280318 Riverdale falls one game short

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091128/SPORTS08/911280311 Riverdale unable to overcome costly turnovers

http://www.dnj.com/article/20091128/SPORTS08/911280319/1006/rss02/Kreager-County-no-longer-lock-for-title-game Kreager: County no longer lock for title game

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Maryville on the win. The Rebs are extremely well coached and Riverdale mistakes were just too much to overcome. It never turned into the game everyone expected because of the Riverdale turnovers and miscues. All the credit goes to Maryville...they had a great plan and they executed.

For the Warrior seniors: It was a good season with some big wins and some disappointing losses. Bottom line it was a step back in the right direction...thank you for that leadership. No team should ever hang their head when you make it this far.

For the young guys: Still a lot of work to do to get this big train back on track but I think we have the players to get there. No better time to get started than today!

Go Warriors!!

A few random thoughts...

Glad the folks at Aubrey's took good care of the Riverdale fans. :lol:

I have seen a lot of helmet throwing and frustration at the end of ball games this year. Riverdale fought hard until the end and never resorted to mouthing or cheap shots. This is a reflection of your community, school and coaching. As I said earlier, Class Act!!!!

Maryville belongs with the big boys...honestly, I had my doubts how we could compete in a bigger classification. Every game this year has been a challenge. I am so proud of this program, they have improved each week, believed in the system, and earned their place in the 6A championship.

Not a single "All-Star" on Maryville's roster. Really??? I think some recognition is due. I would take Phillip Juhlin over any QB seen this year!!!

Yep fellers tha Big Boy taik aint aimed at ennyone frum Riverdail.....Sum peepull jist gotta try two taik away frum Mairvul's past successes.....Now my thoughts on tha gaim.....

A. Mairvul's furst drive was tha key taikin' hit 95 yards shot'em full ov confedense

B. Both #15's are grait high skool playurs

3. Eye wuz surprised that Mairvul's O-Line dommynated tham big Riverdail roadgraiders as much as thay did

D. Buddy ran like a seenyour wantin' two maik a staitmint playin' hiz last gaim at tha Skeeter

5. #5 fer Riverdail iz goin' two bee a good 'un

6. Tha misdirection Mairvul ran rilly give Riverdail problums

G. mommaSTARS keept on askin'..."Wundur if'un thay's smoke 'un a little pig ovur thair in tha wig wam"????.. :lol:

8. Tha flag and speers Riverdail brought wuz cool....Wunder how thay got away wif speers and we caint even brang a flag pole wif a dull tip???

Eye. Wuz suprised that Riverdail played so minny linemen both ways

10. momma sed she liked tha Chop, butt tha Pork chop iz steal her favritt......... :lol:

With exception of the game's outcome, I hope you enjoyed the trip to Maryville.

Go Rebels....Roadtrip to Cookeville next week!!!!! :lol:

Game administrator was great! SRO officer was a nice to us. Principal was great to us. Ian, the bartender at Aubreys and the rest of the Aubreys crew was great! (They may have set a record for Black Friday sales?) Other than the outcome, it was a great trip. I would have been here earlier but grand-daughter ran the wireless mouse's battery down and watching my Tide on the DVR.

Have a safe trip to Cookeville. Like I told our local radio broadcasting crew before they game, if Maryville gets lucky and wins championships their sign on the scoreboard tells me they somehow got lucky 55 times - LOL!!!

The game tonight was basically a Big 12 game and we needed it to be an SEC or Big 10 game. Maryville channeled Mike Leech's Texas Tech offense and Riverdale tried to be a Texas but the turnovers kept us from holding serve. Pick-6 late in second quarter was a back-breaker. If we could have came out and scored on the first possession of the second half it would have been a better game but Maryville made a big stop (#74 is HUGE!) and then milked several minutes off the clock before Riverdale could force them to punt.

Thanks for having us. Be sure to tell Ian and the nice lady at the hostess's desk at Aubreys we had a great time and they did a great job! Maybe we can make this a tradition in the coming years?

Dave thanks fer tha kind werds.....Congrats two Riverdail on a great seesun......

"A true champion knows how to win and how to lose with class" - Paul W. Bryant

Congratulations to both Maryville and Riverdale for an excellent season. Excellent programs for both schools and reading the posts all this week just proves that there are some real classy fans out there.

Maryville, now that you have your "big boy britches" on; bring home the title next week!! Your Alcoa fans will be there to cheer you on.

I would like to thank the Riverdale fans and players for the tremendous show of sportsmanship. Football is a game of emotion, and it is very easy to get caught up in the moment. Poise in defeat is a tremendous accomplishment. I truly believe that the character of your program and community is the source of your teams success and rich tradition.

Please understand that the "Big Boy" talk is not directed at Riverdale fans. There was a lot of frustration pent up over the years. A quality win over an established 6A team like Riverdale is something our community has waited for for quite some time. We understand the weight of this accomplishment, and we point to it as proof that our detractors were wrong.

I look forward to a long rivalry of mutual respect. I hope the Riverdale fans will come out to support us in Cookville next week. You are a fun group, and I would much rather have you our side than the opposing stands. :thumb:

I will also reiterate the point that the BIG BOY picture and talk were in no way form or fashion aimed at the folks from Riverdale. We had three Riverdale fans sitting behind us who were friends with one of the Maryville players family. We enjoyed talking to them before and during the game. Nice folks. You all travel like the Ringling Brother's Circus. My daughter was really impressed with all the spirt squads. I was told that you have a real big tee pee at home games. I hope this turns into a long and spirited rivalry. It would be great for Tennessee High School football and the games will only get bigger and bigger. Keep your heads up. :thumb:

Wow what a game/season!!!

I agree with many of the posters, the "Big Boy" comments were not aimed at Riverdale, they were aimed at all of the nay sayers. Newspaper people, broadcasters and posters for years have downplayed Maryville as some lucky, cheating, entity who don't play anyone on their way to the state title. Sure the coaching is great no question but many overlook the average in the trenches kids who gut things out year after year like their big brothers did years before. Maryville the past 10 years has been something out of the ordinary, something books or movies portray in a sense. Coaching, belief in team, community support and allot of dedication and hard work by kids and coaches.

Beating a top quality legendary program like Riverdale really solidifies Maryville’s position as one of the perennial powers in Tennessee HS football. Riverdale has been the standard of the major programs in TN for many years and will still be that. Maryville has simply proven they belong among the best. The coaches and kids deserve it as they have earned it.

Great job Rebels!! Outstanding performance. Now lets go to Cookeville and show another great program what you’re about.