Maryville and Riverdale Battle of the "BIG BOYS"

matback

Gents,

My "big boy" statement was meant as this -

Riverdale has been the standard of "big boy" football to me since the split to 5 classes in 93 as they've easily been the top program in the old 5A, hence. I have a TON of respect for Riverdale and wat they've accomplished in the last 20 years, both as a football program and school in general. (You had a keckuva academic team back in my day too.)

Maryville had to beat them at some point in order to be considered legit in many people's eyes. That win solidified it. Even the small 1% of people who didn't think it have to count Maryville as a "big boy" now.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the messages of sportsmanship in the previous post-game post, but why was Riverdale's coach throwing for touchdowns, 2 point conversions, and onside kicks in the fourth quarter against Maryville's subs when he stated that the game was over at the end of the third quarter?

Did he have money on the game or does he get paid by the margin of vctory (or loss!). At least George Quarles subs know they get a little playoff playing time when the outcome of the game is no longer in doubt...

But some people Solly, will just not let it go....

Quote from Tom Kreager in today's DNJ.

"Now, let's not go around proclaiming Maryville as the better program this decade. Sure, they looked like the better team Friday night."

(yes, this was taken out of context to make it sound worse than it really is :thumb:)

BTW - he and Murphy Fair just predicted Goospasture will beat Alcoa Friday. :thumb:

The 6A crowd is learning that Maryville wins not because of superior personnel, but because of superior coaching

Don't downplay the efforts of our kids. How about the domination by our O-line? We had a man-child of a sophomore RT dominate a Mr. Football DE. We ran & ran & ran over a team that "couldn't be run on."

Buddy Jones was a beast w/ 160 yards - and Phillip Juhlin was once again our MVP with an outstanding performance.

Worst one I have seen this year by far regardless of where they were from.

You've got to be kidding. Those refs were from your part of the state - and Riverdale had more than a couple easy calls go their way.

The game tonight was basically a Big 12 game and we needed it to be an SEC or Big 10 game. Maryville channeled Mike Leech's Texas Tech offense and Riverdale tried to be a Texas but the turnovers kept us from holding serve.

That was not a finesse offense last night. That was a smash them on the goal line & walk in for TDs offense. GQ has a bag of tricks that he got to save for another day.

I have seen a lot of helmet throwing and frustration at the end of ball games this year. Riverdale fought hard until the end and never resorted to mouthing or cheap shots. This is a reflection of your community, school and coaching. As I said earlier, Class Act!!!!

!

Ditto on this remark. It was nice to see a class act program after the cheap shots and lack of class we had to put up w/ last week from a handful of FHS players.

Not a single "All-Star" on Maryville's roster. Really??? I think some recognition is due. I would take Phillip Juhlin over any QB seen this year!!!

But some people Solly, will just not let it go....

Quote from Tom Kreager in today's DNJ.

"Now, let's not go around proclaiming Maryville as the better program this decade. Sure, they looked like the better team Friday night."

(yes, this was taken out of context to make it sound worse than it really is :thumb:)

BTW - he and Murphy Fair just predicted Goospasture will beat Alcoa Friday. B)

Yeah....TK better be careful, Jeff Lockridge got "demoted" to covering Vandy for the Tennessean. :thumb:

I appreciate the messages of sportsmanship in the previous post-game post, but why was Riverdale's coach throwing for touchdowns, 2 point conversions, and onside kicks in the fourth quarter against Maryville's subs when he stated that the game was over at the end of the third quarter?

Did he have money on the game or does he get paid by the margin of vctory (or loss!). At least George Quarles subs know they get a little playoff playing time when the outcome of the game is no longer in doubt...

Not sure what your point is here? Would you prefer that a team keeping fighting and trying to never give up to build character in a bunch of teenage boys or just say Pack it up boys and let's just take a knee? Sometimes it is more than just about winning and losing. It is about preparing young men for life after football and showing that you don't give up on your team, yourself, and your community.

Great win by Maryville against a team we have been told for years we could not match up with. And with all due repsect to the Riverdale folks on this thread this week, MANY of your fans have said for years Maryville could not play with them. How many "Maryville Vs Riverdale" threads have been started over the years? Too many to count and we have gotten tee'd off on pretty good. For the Riverdale posters this week I am not accussing any of you, but to the Maryville folks falling all over themselves apologizing for bringing it up, it is what it is. Not many big boy comments this week because it is vastly different when a game is actually going to be played, rather than the "imginary" game that has gone on for years.

For the Riverdale fan who brought up the officials; and have we beaten a team this year that has not made at least a veiled mention of them? I agree with you; Maryville receivers were held and interferred with at least three or four times by your secondary with no call. Late in the game Patton Robinette got taken down by a block in the back, with a ref standing right there. The Maryville coaches yelled something, the ref looked at them and shrugged his shoulders. I am pretty sure the close to 500 yards of offense we amassed against a "better defense than has been seen in East Tenn this year" were all us not the refs.

No problem with Riverdale continuing to try and score, that is their decision. And no one suggested they take a knee. But it was their first team against our 2nd and 3rds, and lets be honest Quarles could have scored more had he chosen to. I have no real problem with Aydelott trying to make the score look much closer than it was though.

There is no doubt Maryville can play with anyone! And I also mean private schools as well. Not only play with but soundly defeat them as was the case last night! As much as I hate to say it MY WARRIORS were taken behind the shed last night. You cannot make the mistakes we made and beat a team of Maryville's caliber. I laugh at the media because most of the media doesn't have a clue. Most Riverdale folks on here have the utmost RESPECT for Maryville! GO GET THE GOLD BALL REBELS! :thumb:

For the Riverdale fan who brought up the officials; and have we beaten a team this year that has not made at least a veiled mention of them? I agree with you; Maryville receivers were held and interferred with at least three or four times by your secondary with no call. Late in the game Patton Robinette got taken down by a block in the back, with a ref standing right there. The Maryville coaches yelled something, the ref looked at them and shrugged his shoulders. I am pretty sure the close to 500 yards of offense we amassed against a "better defense than has been seen in East Tenn this year" were all us not the refs.

Just to clarify for this poster and one earlier - If you read my post regarding the refs I did not say that is why we lost nor did I say they only made bad calls against Riverdale. I stated they were the worst crew I had seen this year period regardless of where they were from. I am very confident that if we sat down and watched the game film we could make a list 10 feet long on both sides where there were blown or no calls that should have been easy ones to make. It was a bad crew - this is an opinion board and that is my opinion. My post also pointed out a well coached team that executed well and did not suggest your offense success was due to officiating. You guys won we lost - congratulations and good luck next week. I can't speak to threads in the past because I was never a part of them. The character and class of a team starts with parents, administration, fans, and coaches and that is what has impressed me most about this entire match up as they seem to have very similar programs in this regard. Seems like the majority of the folk on this board understand that.

For those equating this years R'dale team with teams of old, I can only say one thing. Gary Rankin. Y'all do remember him I hope. The match up of both schools 2004 teams would have been a classic.

I will also say I think Maryville will take home the very first 6A Gold Ball next week. The best team for this year won last night.

The plain fact that most do not like to face is we got out played and out coached yesterday. It also hurt that we do not see passing teams like Maryville as most teams here are primarily run orientated. That is why the wingT works here but still has NOT won the Gold Ball in this state.

Maryville, yet once again you have won the respect of some here in Middle Tn. Now go out there next week and win it ALL!

For those equating this years R'dale team with teams of old, I can only say one thing. Gary Rankin. Y'all do remember him I hope. The match up of both schools 2004 teams would have been a classic.

I will also say I think Maryville will take home the very first 6A Gold Ball next week. The best team for this year won last night.

The plain fact that most do not like to face is we got out played and out coached yesterday. It also hurt that we do not see passing teams like Maryville as most teams here are primarily run orientated. That is why the wingT works here but still has NOT won the Gold Ball in this state.

Maryville, yet once again you have won the respect of some here in Middle Tn. Now go out there next week and win it ALL!

Thanks Dad...We gonna try ..... :thumb: