Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

white station beat a very mediocre brentwood team. oakland gave them a good beat down, so i see maryville doing the same. 35-14.

How would the Brentwood team we played last night fair against Brentwood Academy? Who is the better team? Here in Memphis, the private schools rank a little higher than most of the public schools. Our only two losses this year were to Christian Brothers and MUS. Is it the same in Nashville? Would Brentwood, MBA, and Ensworth beat this team we played last night? Just asking.

Coach, it's a moot question because Brentwood High wouldn't dream of scheduling those games. BHS has never been interested in playing the D2's, even BA which is about a 3-iron from their campus. Other, newer Williamson County Schools (Independence, Ravenwood, etc.) have scheduled and defeated some of the D2 schools in middle TN....though the record historically has been in favor of the middle TN D2 teams with a lot of very close games. BHS has been pretty much irrelevant the past several years, as their neighbors in Williamson County have sprinted past them. I'm certainly glad to see White Station taking on both MUS and CBHS. Those are the types of games you are going to have to schedule to prepare for a team like Maryville.

Anyways, hard to imagine Quarrels getting this far and losing...He's got something special going on there.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BHS has been pretty much irrelevant the past several years, as their neighbors in Williamson County have sprinted past them.

Please expound on BHS's irrelevance the past several years and how their neighbors have "sprinted" past them. They have won the last two region championships and have won a state championship this decade. Ravenwood has also won a state championship this decade. Independence, Centennial and Franklin? Close but no.

Sorry to get back on topic, but 6A is about East vs. West (no middle). Maryville might be in trouble. I just found out that Bobby Boucher's (The Waterboy) Mama (Kathy Bates) is a White Station Alum.

WaterboyBluray_Photo_03.jpg

That's funny because I assumed the post I was replying to was in a post related to the White Station - Brentwood game! I think someone wanted to get a shot in at Brentwood for some reason and I was just asking for his reasoning. Did not mean to hijack this thread!

Back to the relevant game discussion!! Great athletes at White Station but one thing that could hurt them is their kicking game. It is really, really, really, bad. And Bruce Pearl and Calipari both know where White Station is - current home of Joe Jackson - a top five point guard!

BHS has been pretty much irrelevant the past several years, as their neighbors in Williamson County have sprinted past them.

Please expound on BHS's irrelevance the past several years and how their neighbors have "sprinted" past them. They have won the last two region championships and have won a state championship this decade. Ravenwood has also won a state championship this decade. Independence, Centennial and Franklin? Close but no.

Just a subjective opinion, as Ravenwood, Independence, and Franklin have all appeared in the 5A title game since BHS' one appearance and title in '02, with Ravenwood appearing twice and winning once. BHS hasn't done anything that I'm aware of since that title in '02. Also, Ravenwood and Independence have scheduled and defeated 2 of the traditional D2 powers in the state, MBA and BA. BHS obviously still refuses to play those games, despite the proximity to so many, most notably BA.

As it relates to this game, if I'm going after a team like Maryville, I want to play the likes of local d2 teams like MUS and CBHS as White Station has done....Maybe it helped Hillsboro last year, or maybe it didn't, that they played MBA in the reg season before ultimately facing and beating Maryville for the 4A title. But thems the facts.

Congratulations to Anthony Hayes on winning the Mr. Football award. I'll be looking forward to seeing this young man Saturday night.

I must say that he's a good one and that I hope the new coaching staff at the University of Memphis recruits him and gets him to sign. He wasn't a known commodity in recruiting circles because last year he played TE and not QB. He has that TE mentality too ... it's evident when he plays. Tim Tebowish in attitude and demeanor. He's also pretty fast at 6'-2" and 225 lbs.

Rumor has it that they have a great shot at getting Barry Brunetti to switch his commitment from WVU to Memphis.

My fellow Ooltewah fan, Big Hairy Owl, called me when he left the Maryville/Riverdale game....

...he said that Maryville was the REAL deal! described them as a machine... he went on and on....

.I trust his opinion.....Maryville wins big

White Station would lose to 8 teams east of Nashville (there might be more)....but they will play the best this weekend....Rebels in a blowout

Rumor has it that they have a great shot at getting Barry Brunetti to switch his commitment from WVU to Memphis.

Well ... I read what BB said in the paper about sitting down to listen ... but maybe you've heard something more then what the CA is reporting. Heck ... I'd like the U of M to attain the services of both young men if possible. Both are top notch duel threat QB's.