Maryville vs. White Station 6A State Championship

Red Rebels

now that the season is over.....I hope Julian Burton is a senior and I hope he plays his college ball for UT....the Vols could sure use his speed!! Congrats to the Spartans on a great year. Congrats to the Rebels on a great year!....you guys sure made us proud to be Rebel fans! :thumb:

Pappy:

Julian Burton is a senior and I must say as a Whitehaven fan ... Boy am I glad! ... :ph34r: He has been a thorn in our side since he has been a sophomore!

Believe it or not Julian hasn't been offered a scolly. Not from UT, not from U of M, not from anybody. I may be wrong ... but that's the latest that I have heard. The same for the QB ... no offers. Spartansfan or anybody else in the know correct me if I am wrong.

The U of M fired Tommy West and hired a new guy who was an assistant coach @ LSU recently. He has won the "best recruiter award" for 2 years running or two years in a row or something like that. One of his commitments is to recruit the Memphis talent and keep it home. We will see. I have heard that they are putting a full court press on the QB @ MUS to change his commitment from WV to the U of M. I hope they go after #11 & #4 as well.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats WS from a fellow District 16 HS football fan. Way to represent! Wow! ... That's all I can say. I left Memphis too late to attend so I watched it on TV in Nashville and I was truly amazed. I thought Julian gave Whitehaven fits!

To win the inaugural 6A title game is history!

Good game Maryville ... as usual ... your young men played the entire game and never gave up.

kwc - I think it is crazy that Burton hasn't been offered by anyone. I hope that as a Memphis fan porter does offer him. He will be getting one heck of a player. I don't think he had such a good game against Maryville because their defense is bad.....I think he is just that good of a player that he gave them fits all night (although he did make a boneheaded mistake with his block in the back on the play that Maryville picked Hayes off and then fumbled it and another WS player picked it up and took it to the house). That and the fact that Hayes was harder to get a hold of than a greased pig. I could not believe some of the plays he was making out there. I am one of the people that was proven wrong in this game. I thought Maryville would be too much for WS....boy was I ever wrong. WS came to play and beat a very talented Maryville team.

Hey let me say congrats to the White Station team....Not really an upset in my mind....I heard the MUS coach said they couldn't tackle #11 either.....I think they scored 35 on them....We were simply "out-athleted" as GQ said....

Now as to the WB poster......We all know he was pulling for WS because he had so many relatives on their team...... :roll:....

Now as for Mairvul, this was a great year.....This "TEAM" came farther than any other I can remember....I congratulate these seniors on great careers and their future endeavors....But honestly this was one of the youngest Rebel teams in recent memory......I think 7 starters return on offense (5 sophs) and 6 on defense....And undefeated freshman and middle school teams are on the way.....The "machine" is getting ready to get restocked with more great young players......Most people did view this as a transition year....But these seniors just refused to believe that....57-3, 2 Gold balls and playin' every first weekend in December durin' your careers.....So guys we are proud of you....And underclassmen next season starts now!!!!

Go Rebs!!!!!

Hey Stars, what happened to your accent? Anyway congratulations Rebels on a great season. You did what many doubted you would be able to do-compete and win in the "big boy" league. From accross the creek I salute you :roll:

alcouhfann72 won ov my Pups frum Doctur Fergusson's klass typed hit fer me yisterdee....... :wacko:

Hey let me say congrats to the White Station team....Not really an upset in my mind....I heard the MUS coach said they couldn't tackle #11 either.....I think they scored 35 on them....We were simply "out-athleted" as GQ said....

Now as to the WB poster......We all know he was pulling for WS because he had so many relatives on their team...... :roll:....

Now as for Mairvul, this was a great year.....This "TEAM" came farther than any other I can remember....I congratulate these seniors on great careers and their future endeavors....But honestly this was one of the youngest Rebel teams in recent memory......I think 7 starters return on offense (5 sophs) and 6 on defense....And undefeated freshman and middle school teams are on the way.....The "machine" is getting ready to get restocked with more great young players......Most people did view this as a transition year....But these seniors just refused to believe that....57-3, 2 Gold balls and playin' every first weekend in December durin' your careers.....So guys we are proud of you....And underclassmen next season starts now!!!!

Go Rebs!!!!!

Pretty crazy that 13-2 and a state-runner up is a rebuilding year.

I underestimated White Station. I knew they'd be athletic, but their coaches had a simple, but very effective game plan. I tip my visor to the White Station coaching staff. They came up with a gameplan that worked and adjusted when need be.

And, they caught every break....and you can never discount the importance of that in championship games. The bad snap on the punt that turned into a first down, the fumble on the int, the onside kick going 4 and a half yards.....at some point you just have to say "it ain't our night" and it definitely was White Station's.

Did you really say that White Station caught all the breaks? Are you kidding me? You call 10 to 1 penalties and 2 touch downs being called back breaks? Man you Maryville fans kill me, first you guys act like you are some high and mighty program before the game and think you are going to kill us and now it is we caught all the breaks. Unbelievable.

First of all I'm going to be thankful I'm in East TN and you are in Memphis so you will never "volunteer" to coach my kids because you my friend are an idiot.

Second, championship teams CATCH THE BREAKS now and then. Even a volunteer coach worth 2 cents should know that. Every ball bounced your way. There's nothing wrong with it and it's part of the game. Maryville has caught more than their fair share of breaks this decade but didn't catch any Saturday.

White Station caught breaks and capitalized on every one. Good teams do that. What else do you want me to say?

First off, let me say congrats to WS on a great win. Your QB and RB are absolute studs. I wish them well in their future career. They showed that they are two classy players. Now, having said that.........I have absolutely ZERO respect for your team! I witnessed one of (if not the most) disrespectful, un-classy actions that I have ever seen in a high school football game. Not sure what this kids number was, but it was one of your offensive lineman. I watched him run over and stand over an injured Maryville player, run his jaw at him, and clap in his face. I have never seen anything like this before (but I guess being a Maryville fan I am blessed with a classy program), and I hope to never see anything of its like again. By the time I got home Sunday morning I had decided to not say anything about this. But, when I got on here tis morning and read some of VolunteerCoach's posts, it lit my fire again. Thanks VC for stating that "we suck". We (and I think I speak for all MHS fans) are extremely proud of our boys. This team was not supposed to make it to this game. They exceeded all of our expectations. You continue to spew your ignorance tho. You must be a great father. I hope you teach your kids to have more respect for themselves and their program than you display.

I hate that this thread got so ugly. I watched a great game by two great teams. Both played well enough to win and made enough mistakes to lose. Congratulations to both programs.

I agree that White Station had an edge in athletic ability. Their QB and RB played great but over all team speed was the difference.

Just an outsiders opinion.....

tpoole12

I hate that this thread got so ugly. I watched a great game by two great teams. Both played well enough to win and made enough mistakes to lose. Congratulations to both programs.

I agree that White Station had an edge in athletic ability. Their QB and RB played great but over all team speed was the difference.

Just an outsiders opinion.....

tpoole12

I agree with you 100%

Speed was the factor and this has always been one of Maryville's problems. Just like Alcoa, WS ran it on Maryville's and thats how the game was won. The O put up enough points to win but WS played a great game. What many people don't want to recognize is that this was one of our youngest teams. We played a ton of sophtmores. They will only get better. My senior year we didn't win state. The next time we didn't win state was my brothers senior year. Those losses were hard but this one (maybe because im older now) weren't as bad because this team was very young, inexperienced, and moved up to 6A. In my eyes, this season as a great success. I feel bad for the seniors but they have set the stage for the next X amoung of generations of Maryville players. Long term, this was a great season. I said it before and I'll say it again, the only reason so much negativity is being thrown around is because those people are such low lifes that they have to degrade others in order to make themselves feel better. I have no problem with anyone saying that Maryville did not look as good as everyone has been talking about....because they didn't. Watching that one game, one might come to the conclusion that Maryville is not that good. They were not that good for one night, anyone that knows anything about Maryville football knows exactly how good these kids are and how much hard work they put into this program. Every single football program knows about the Maryville High School Red Rebels for a reason. Again, I congratulate both teams on a great football season!

I watched the game on TV and speed from # 4 burton and the elusiveness in the pass attack of # 11 Hayes were the difference makers. Burton made it look easy with his speed and athletic ability. Hayes was so comfortable scrambling around and finding the open guys or running the ball. This was done against the best HS coach in the state of TN and a very good Maryville team, so you have to tip your hat to these two players. Take away #4 who is a super HS athlete and Maryville wins easily based on coaching and overall team play/skill. When you have won as many as GQ has in his years at Maryville, you have to be excellent. Maryville will most likely be back next year, but I bet they won't be facing WS again especially if #4 is gone. It was a fun game to watch and congrats to both teams on successful seasons.

First off, let me say congrats to WS on a great win. Your QB and RB are absolute studs. I wish them well in their future career. They showed that they are two classy players. Now, having said that.........I have absolutely ZERO respect for your team! I witnessed one of (if not the most) disrespectful, un-classy actions that I have ever seen in a high school football game. Not sure what this kids number was, but it was one of your offensive lineman. I watched him run over and stand over an injured Maryville player, run his jaw at him, and clap in his face. I have never seen anything like this before (but I guess being a Maryville fan I am blessed with a classy program), and I hope to never see anything of its like again. By the time I got home Sunday morning I had decided to not say anything about this. But, when I got on here tis morning and read some of VolunteerCoach's posts, it lit my fire again. Thanks VC for stating that "we suck". We (and I think I speak for all MHS fans) are extremely proud of our boys. This team was not supposed to make it to this game. They exceeded all of our expectations. You continue to spew your ignorance tho. You must be a great father. I hope you teach your kids to have more respect for themselves and their program than you display.

Hi General E....I read your post and felt compelled to reply. 1st, allow me to apologize for the actions of that lineman. I wasn't at the game, so did not witness the action. However, I have been to many of our practices and all of our games until I had my leg broken in Brentwood, so couldn't make the final. Anyway, I've seen some things that reflect poor taste and bad sportsmanship on occassion. Overall, our players don't fit that description. I hope your judgement towards our players and program would remain at least nuetral in that regard, and understand it was most likely an isolated incident from one person.

We both have very fortunate kids playing ball. Most programs have young men working hard year around to reach this final game. Only 2 teams make it there. There are no losers in this senario....simply one team outscored the other. While I'm very happy WS came out of this ahead, I feel for the young men in Maryville. I hope they are proud of their accomplishments of moving up to 6A and going this far. They never quit, and forced our offense to keep scoring also.

Regarding "volunteercoach"......I find 90% (or more) of what he says to misrepresent the sentiments of everyone I know that supports WS. Quite frankly, I cringe and find myself embarrassed by his posts. The only thing worse than a sore loser, is a sore winner......although I'm not sure he can even be classified as a winner, sore or not. :roll: