1A State Championship: South Pittsburg vs. Union City

powerp

Let me ask you Union people a question. Is that Nicks boy being recruited by any SEC schools? He is a big power runner that can do good in college ball. What does he run the 50 yard dash in? He is just a big ole strong boy that run through the hole hard. His lineman were good at knocking holes in our line so he could run through them. I was looking in my Murphy Fair book and Union loses alot of real good boys this year. Is that coach making them meet tomorrow if they are not a senior and start lifting weights again so they will be real big and strong for next year? Someone told me Grider was going to make our boys start lifting weights tomorrow and running to improve their 50 yard dash time.

I don't ever know how to take your comments Roy. But you do make a great point about the weight room. Seems as though SP has lost a bit of the edge it had in that area the past couple of years. That is 1 thing that sets aside athlete's when it comes to securing better opportunities to get offers from bigger schools.Fast is good.Fast and strong is better. Dedication in this area brings about better results on the filed come game time.I didn't notice any boys from UC that seemed as though they had missed many meals!

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you Union people a question. Is that Nicks boy being recruited by any SEC schools? He is a big power runner that can do good in college ball. What does he run the 50 yard dash in? He is just a big ole strong boy that run through the hole hard. His lineman were good at knocking holes in our line so he could run through them. I was looking in my Murphy Fair book and Union loses alot of real good boys this year. Is that coach making them meet tomorrow if they are not a senior and start lifting weights again so they will be real big and strong for next year? Someone told me Grider was going to make our boys start lifting weights tomorrow and running to improve their 50 yard dash time.

I don't ever know how to take your comments Roy. But you do make a great point about the weight room. Seems as though SP has lost a bit of the edge it had in that area the past couple of years. That is 1 thing that sets aside athlete's when it comes to securing better opportunities to get offers from bigger schools.Fast is good.Fast and strong is better. Dedication in this area brings about better results on the filed come game time.I didn't notice any boys from UC that seemed as though they had missed many meals!

Our team lifts even during the toughest of practices during the year. They were lifting last week.

Weights are a major key and one other thing....our kids practice just as hard now ( or last week ) as they did during the first few weeks of practice.

That is one reason we do not dress anymore players out than we do. Coach Bowling doesn't want kids who will slack in any way.

Im begining tp think that the sore losers frm SP are nothing more than a few students or folks who graduated not to long ago. It an only be the immaturity of youth that causes these guys to say such stupid things. They can't help it. They just dont know how to deal with disapointment yet. So all they know to do is pout and whine and try to insult the person or thing that brings them pain. You can hear the pain in their posts. To bad the little rednecks were never taught to respect anything. Because ignorance is contageous.

Bad thing about it is that some of them are not just kids.................some are 10-12 years older than that, or even older. That's that South Pitt Class that I have talked about all year :popcorneater: There are some really fine folks down there though, just a few that makes them look bad, thats all.

Boss, some won't admit it but ever since Boeck left the Pitt, seems like the weights have been the issue since then. That is one area that Marion has made strides in since Coach B arrived. We don't have the athletes that SP has, but they have been dedicated in the weight room for sure.

Truth I know we have not always agreed on things. But you have always had an honest view of most things. I'm sure you are not here to make enemies. Some get on here to stir things up. I don't know where some of our poster's. Alot have come on here of late and make SP look classless and shameful. I hope that these type of poster's don't have any real influence in our young men's life. Tony Chubb,Guy Millard and myself started working with these boys when they 8to5 yrs old never tried to make them anything other than what they were. Good natured hard working athletes. Respectful and some amount of humility,even though we very successful. These young men never changed from that. It's ashamed that some would come on here and make it seem as though they are representative of them. Bottom line again is,UC won and we lost. They deserve their respect as well as our boys.

Sp's Offence was a WHOLE LOT BETTER!! However our Defence couldn't stop that huge line of yours. Your coaches played the clock, If I was Grider I would have let UC score at the last with 2:00 to go, got the ball back and scored in 45secs. Fact of the matter is, our boys are better, will always be better. You had 1 star on your team, w/o him Whitewell from down the road would have shut you down.. :popcorneater::roflol: Good luck to the Pirates next year! cya at state again around this time. As for UC you will need luck to make it this far again.

In my opinion, we had 11 stars on the field all day. All year long, our theme was "Forget about yourself". Total team effort on both sides of the ball.

Wow What a story book ending to a great season. The story really begins on a rainy wet and cold Nov. night in 2008 In the second round of the state when Our Tornadoes Lost to a very good Mckenzie Rebels team 17 -14 and ended our season. That night our incoming seniors made a promise to one another that they would not have the feeling of loss like they had at that moment ever again. They began as soon as dead period was over In The weight room. They were more determined than ever before.

The Tornadoes have a team moto "Forget About Yourself'. Simply meaning that there are no individuals on this team. No one person is more important than the other. No one person works less or gets by without giving his all for the group. No egos are pampered here. It's a team with one common goal. To win the Class 1A State Championship.

As this dream began the players were given motivational speeches along the way to keep them focused on the ultimate goal. Coach Bowling gathered them around for one of these speeches one day and simply gave the guys a recap of the history of UCHS football program's track record in the seasons final game. We had been to The Dance 3 previous times but no gold ball. It seemed that Our predacessors had come so close only to lose by a little bit. Twice they were 14-0 going into the Big Show and losing for the first time in the season by just a little bit. A little more is all they needed. So Coach Bowling asked a simple question "What if we do a little More? What if we do a little more in the wieght room.? What if we run a little bit more? WHAT IF WE GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE EFFORT IN EVERYTHING WE DO?

Well thats just exactly what they did.

As time wore on and the daily drudgery of the same old sceenery began to cause a lack of motivation for the boys Coach had to find new ways to keep them hungry. KNowing that the most likely foe coming out of the East would be the much heralded South Pittsburg Pirates, coach began talking, months before even knowing for sure that they would meet in the "Shot for all The Marbles", about what it is going to take to beat them. When the boys would give a lack luster performance in practise or the weight room he would simply ask them "I wonder how hard South Pitt is working right now?" That's all it would take and the boys would take it up a notch or two.

The season began with a bang, the Tornadoes looked like a team on a mission. Easliy defeating two 2A teams to begining thier march to the Cookeville show down. Then they met The Mighty Mustangs of Huntingdon. After owning the first half UC sat back and watched as Mr Holder and friends took the ball and systematically destroy all hopes of a perfect season. They were 2-1 at this point with much more football to be played. However those Golden boys with the Golden dreams did not lose sight of the ultimate goal. They battled through injuries and a bad bout with the flu, the weeks of nothing but rain. a loss to a TCA team that simply made them mad. The worst however was hearing of the loss of their beloved friend and former teammate Peter Wilkes. Something happened at this point. The boys rallied behind their pain and emotion and dedicated the rest of thier season to Pete. From this point on they didn't even come close to loosing a ball game. After each big play they would all give the battle cry of "15" which was Wilkes former number.

United by tragedy, motivated by hunger, pressed forward by desire the Golden boys found Themselves

on the Biggest Stage of their lives. Facing the biggest opponant of the season. The Mighty Pirates. If you believed every thing you saw and read you would think the Tornadoes should have simply stayed at home and avoid the embarrasing loss that nearly everyone predicted would come at the hands of South Pitt. According to popular opinion no one in the Golden Boys classification belonged on the same field as the giants of 1A. Most people believed it would be over by half time. Most but not all.

Deep inside those boys was a hunger. One created through hard work and discipline. One that drove them to do one thing that is dangerous for any opposing team. They themselves as a team "believed". They believed they could win. They believed they could out work , out play and out last the highly vaunted Pirates and steal the Gold Ball Right out of their grasp.

They did not alow the press reports and nay sayers to cause doubt to arise. They simply asked 'What if we do a little bit more?"

Space will not allow me to finish this story But we all know how the story ends.

UNION CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES 2009 STATE CHAMPIONS

Excellent post my friend.

Very, very proud of our UC Golden Tornadoes. S.P. is a very talented team with a lot of success this year. I believe we just wanted it more. As Bigswo's excellent post mentioned, we started wanting it more last year after the loss to Mckenzie. A whole year of "wanting it more" escalated to letting it all out and leaving nothing on the field but total team, "every player, every play", effort. The whole team deserves credit, not only the starters, but the backups and practice squads as well. Without them, we would not have been as prepared as we were. To all the coaches, great job in preparation and motivation. To UC, show our Purple and Gold Pride, but don't let it smell bad on the posts. To S.P., same thing. The only reason why we have been so attacking on our posts after the game is because of your posts before the game.

Although I do believe the McKenzie loss last year in the playoffs was a turning point, I'd argue that this state championship may have been won the days prior to UC's first boot camp to Columbia Military Academy before the opening of last season's pre-season camp..Coach Bowling had laid the gauntlet down to Union City players...Go to a set number of weight sessions or be kicked off the team...A good number of kids did not commit to that schedule and were left off that bus heading to Middle Tennessee...Bowling opened more than a few eyes with that move.....

Roy,

You are too funny. Our boys love the weight room. They take pride in lifting. As the poster before said, the boys lifted as normal all last week. With a driving force of inspiration and Pride. But those boys from "Union" wont be doing any weight lifting for the next 3 weeks as it is now their dead period. You think I'm kiddin cause I'm not!! :popcorneater: :

Way to make us proud Tornadoes. You have now made history in Union City, Tennessee.

Cherish every moment of it. You deserve it.

Im begining tp think that the sore losers frm SP are nothing more than a few students or folks who graduated not to long ago. It an only be the immaturity of youth that causes these guys to say such stupid things. They can't help it. They just dont know how to deal with disapointment yet. So all they know to do is pout and whine and try to insult the person or thing that brings them pain. You can hear the pain in their posts. To bad the little rednecks were never taught to respect anything. Because ignorance is contageous.

First of all, let me say that I have no affiliation with either of these schools. In fact, I didn't see either of them play all season.

Congrats to Union City. A state championship is something no one can ever take from you, and you should be proud of your hard work. South Pitt, nothing is as hard as finishing as a runner up in a state championship game, but someday you will realize what an accomplishment it was and how privileged you were to play in that game. Great season for both teams.

Union City: I understand feeling some frustration with being disrespected throughout the week by south Pitt posters, but YOU WON. That fact alone should do all the talking that needs to be done.

As an unbiased observer, some of your posters reflect poorly on your school and city. "Win like a winner, Lose like a winner." A couple of you have mentioned players being on these boards and reading these posts. Why don't you try to show them what a winner acts like by enjoying your win, and not talking trash to the team you just beat. It makes you look like you have never been there before.

I certainly don't want all Union city posters to think I'm talking to them, because from what I can tell, most of you are a class act. Again, congrats to both teams, and to Union City for bringing home the gold ball.

A dead period? Your joking. What is all this mess about? If you sit out 3 weeks before you start lifting weights again, you will have to lift extra weights to make up for it. Grider will have our boys down their tomorrow lifting weights so we will be real big and strong for next season. Let me ask you Union people another question. Does that coach make those boys push that sled around? That makes those big ole lineman block better. I noticed some of those Union boys were doing some side body blocks on our boys and it was knocking big holes in our line. You think Im joking cause Im not. When you do a side body block correct, you can knock a big hole for the runner to run through.