1A State Championship: South Pittsburg vs. Union City

powerp

Wow What a story book ending to a great season. The story really begins on a rainy wet and cold Nov. night in 2008 In the second round of the state when Our Tornadoes Lost to a very good Mckenzie Rebels team 17 -14 and ended our season. That night our incoming seniors made a promise to one another that they would not have the feeling of loss like they had at that moment ever again. They began as soon as dead period was over In The weight room. They were more determined than ever before.

The Tornadoes have a team moto "Forget About Yourself'. Simply meaning that there are no individuals on this team. No one person is more important than the other. No one person works less or gets by without giving his all for the group. No egos are pampered here. It's a team with one common goal. To win the Class 1A State Championship.

As this dream began the players were given motivational speeches along the way to keep them focused on the ultimate goal. Coach Bowling gathered them around for one of these speeches one day and simply gave the guys a recap of the history of UCHS football program's track record in the seasons final game. We had been to The Dance 3 previous times but no gold ball. It seemed that Our predacessors had come so close only to lose by a little bit. Twice they were 14-0 going into the Big Show and losing for the first time in the season by just a little bit. A little more is all they needed. So Coach Bowling asked a simple question "What if we do a little More? What if we do a little more in the wieght room.? What if we run a little bit more? WHAT IF WE GIVE A LITTLE BIT MORE EFFORT IN EVERYTHING WE DO?

Well thats just exactly what they did.

As time wore on and the daily drudgery of the same old sceenery began to cause a lack of motivation for the boys Coach had to find new ways to keep them hungry. KNowing that the most likely foe coming out of the East would be the much heralded South Pittsburg Pirates, coach began talking, months before even knowing for sure that they would meet in the "Shot for all The Marbles", about what it is going to take to beat them. When the boys would give a lack luster performance in practise or the weight room he would simply ask them "I wonder how hard South Pitt is working right now?" That's all it would take and the boys would take it up a notch or two.

The season began with a bang, the Tornadoes looked like a team on a mission. Easliy defeating two 2A teams to begining thier march to the Cookeville show down. Then they met The Mighty Mustangs of Huntingdon. After owning the first half UC sat back and watched as Mr Holder and friends took the ball and systematically destroy all hopes of a perfect season. They were 2-1 at this point with much more football to be played. However those Golden boys with the Golden dreams did not lose sight of the ultimate goal. They battled through injuries and a bad bout with the flu, the weeks of nothing but rain. a loss to a TCA team that simply made them mad. The worst however was hearing of the loss of their beloved friend and former teammate Peter Wilkes. Something happened at this point. The boys rallied behind their pain and emotion and dedicated the rest of thier season to Pete. From this point on they didn't even come close to loosing a ball game. After each big play they would all give the battle cry of "15" which was Wilkes former number.

United by tragedy, motivated by hunger, pressed forward by desire the Golden boys found Themselves

on the Biggest Stage of their lives. Facing the biggest opponant of the season. The Mighty Pirates. If you believed every thing you saw and read you would think the Tornadoes should have simply stayed at home and avoid the embarrasing loss that nearly everyone predicted would come at the hands of South Pitt. According to popular opinion no one in the Golden Boys classification belonged on the same field as the giants of 1A. Most people believed it would be over by half time. Most but not all.

Deep inside those boys was a hunger. One created through hard work and discipline. One that drove them to do one thing that is dangerous for any opposing team. They themselves as a team "believed". They believed they could win. They believed they could out work , out play and out last the highly vaunted Pirates and steal the Gold Ball Right out of their grasp.

They did not alow the press reports and nay sayers to cause doubt to arise. They simply asked 'What if we do a little bit more?"

Space will not allow me to finish this story But we all know how the story ends.

UNION CITY GOLDEN TORNADOES 2009 STATE CHAMPIONS

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score

----------------- -- -- -- -- -----

Union City H.S...... 0 7 14 10 - 31 Record: (12-2)

South Pittsburg H.S. 0 14 7 8 - 29 Record: (11-3)

Scoring Summary:

2nd 10:46 SOPITT - Robinson,Terrel 1 yd run (Howard,Jacob kick), 7-43 1:46, UCHS 0 - SOPITT 7

01:35 UCHS - Worley, Jacob 5 yd run (Guerri,Jorge kick), 18-65 9:11, UCHS 7 - SOPITT 7

00:17 SOPITT - Robinson,Terrel 4 yd run (Howard,Jacob kick), 7-80 1:18, UCHS 7 - SOPITT 14

3rd 05:57 UCHS - Price,Kendrick 11 yd run (Guerri,Jorge kick), 13-65 6:03, UCHS 14 - SOPITT 14

05:39 SOPITT - Jones,Malcolm 98 yd kickoff return (Howard,Jacob kick), , UCHS 14 - SOPITT 21

01:35 UCHS - Price,Kendrick 38 yd run (Guerri,Jorge kick), 8-63 4:04, UCHS 21 - SOPITT 21

4th 10:07 UCHS - Nicks,Josh 12 yd run (Guerri,Jorge kick), 7-76 2:12, UCHS 28 - SOPITT 21

03:27 SOPITT - Robinson,Terrel 5 yd run (Robinson,Terrel rush), 7-72 2:42, UCHS 28 - SOPITT 29

00:02 UCHS - Guerri,Jorge 22 yd field goal, 12-68 3:25, UCHS 31 - SOPITT 29

UCHS SOPITT

FIRST DOWNS................... 23 18

RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 69-355 24-101

PASSING YDS (NET)............. 0 211

Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 1-0-1 23-15-1

TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 70-355 47-312

Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0

Punt Returns-Yards............ 0-0 0-0

Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 3-71 2-88

Interception Returns-Yards.... 1-8 1-7

Punts (Number-Avg)............ 2-39.0 1-32.0

Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-0 3-1

Penalties-Yards............... 3-30 4-30

Possession Time............... 32:18 15:42

Third-Down Conversions........ 10 of 16 6 of 9

Fourth-Down Conversions....... 2 of 2 0 of 0

Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 4-4 3-5

Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 0-0 0-0

RUSHING: Union City H.S.-Nicks,Josh 47-200; Price,Kendrick 8-92;

Bowling,Chase 9-48; Worley, Jacob 4-15; TEAM 1-0. South Pittsburg

H.S.-Robinson,Terrel 12-78; Hale,Raquis 11-29; TEAM 1-minus 6.

PASSING: Union City H.S.-Bowling,Chase 0-1-1-0. South Pittsburg

H.S.-Robinson,Terrel 15-23-1-211.

RECEIVING: Union City H.S.-. South Pittsburg H.S.-Jones,Malcolm 7-123;

Chubb,Antonio 3-43; Fennell,Jiajuan 2-15; Hale,Raquis 1-12; Boles,Shane 1-10;

Allen,Matthew 1-8.

INTERCEPTIONS: Union City H.S.-Hyde,Keylon 1-8. South Pittsburg

H.S.-Robinson,Terrel 1-7.

FUMBLES: Union City H.S.-TEAM 1-0. South Pittsburg H.S.-Hale,Raquis 2-1;

TEAM 1-0.

Stadium: Tucker Stadium Attendance: 0

Kickoff time: 12:07 End of Game: 2:40 Total elapsed time: 2:33

Officials: Referee: Ron Sisk; Umpire: Alex Sigg; Linesman: Rich. Shinbaum;

Line judge: Chris Flatt; Back judge: Ronnie Perkins; Field judge: ECO J. Basford;

Scorer: Layman/Morris;

Temperature: 39 Wind: 4 NNE Weather: Cloudy

Offensive MVP: #27 Josh Nicks (Union City)

Defensive MVP: #6 Terrell Robinson (South Pittsburg )

This is proof!!!! Union City Gold!

Sp's Offence was a WHOLE LOT BETTER!! However our Defence couldn't stop that huge line of yours. Your coaches played the clock, If I was Grider I would have let UC score at the last with 2:00 to go, got the ball back and scored in 45secs. Fact of the matter is, our boys are better, will always be better. You had 1 star on your team, w/o him Whitewell from down the road would have shut you down.. :thumb::thumb: Good luck to the Pirates next year! cya at state again around this time. As for UC you will need luck to make it this far again.

WHAT A LOSER!!!!!!!!! SP's offense wasn't better since they got outgained. More explosive, yes, better..........................NO!! Seems like Terrell was the only star for the pitt also...............over 3000 offensive yards for him. You folks need to learn some class. Maybe OP and sportman can give lessons.

Im begining tp think that the sore losers frm SP are nothing more than a few students or folks who graduated not to long ago. It an only be the immaturity of youth that causes these guys to say such stupid things. They can't help it. They just dont know how to deal with disapointment yet. So all they know to do is pout and whine and try to insult the person or thing that brings them pain. You can hear the pain in their posts. To bad the little rednecks were never taught to respect anything. Because ignorance is contageous.

Got in late last night from Cookeville. We sat behind Nick's parents and grandparents? and talked to them about their son. Fair played a great game although he played with an injured shoulder. Someone may have posted this earlier so I'm sorry if they did. I knew they would play tough after the 1st quarter. Great final drive to win by UC. Congratulations from the Huntingdon Mustangs.

Welcome to the "Club". :flower:

Got in late last night from Cookeville. We sat behind Nick's parents and grandparents? and talked to them about their son. Fair played a great game although he played with an injured shoulder. Someone may have posted this earlier so I'm sorry if they did. I knew they would play tough after the 1st quarter. Great final drive to win by UC. Congratulations from the Huntingdon Mustangs.

Welcome to the "Club". :flower:

Thanks Mr. Mustang!! It is a awsome feeling for the kids to have accomplished this great goal/milstone in their life.

Many folks go through life who are in sports ( Highschool, College, Pros ) that never win any kind of championship. This one, the Union City fans are really proud of for our kids and coaches. To get this far, it does take lots of determination, luck, very hard work, time away from families and folks with great leadership.

Thanks again.

I have to say, both times we played the Mustanges this year, it was two of the most classiest, clean, fun games I have ever been a part of.

Good luck in 2010. We plan to enjoy this one for a while.

Good game to watch on TV, even with the poor announcers and officials. Congrats to Union City on a big win. Did anyone else notice on the winning kick and the ensuing kick-off that the kicker, (sorry that I don't know his name) kicked with his mouth piece in his face mask. I am assuming that he had an extra one in his mouth as I am sure that the officials could not have missed that call. Anyway, probably not of much consequence as I am sure he would have made the kick from 5 yards farther away. I could be mistaken as I am sure that if I am someone will point it out.

Let me ask you Union people a question. Is that Nicks boy being recruited by any SEC schools? He is a big power runner that can do good in college ball. What does he run the 50 yard dash in? He is just a big ole strong boy that run through the hole hard. His lineman were good at knocking holes in our line so he could run through them. I was looking in my Murphy Fair book and Union loses alot of real good boys this year. Is that coach making them meet tomorrow if they are not a senior and start lifting weights again so they will be real big and strong for next year? Someone told me Grider was going to make our boys start lifting weights tomorrow and running to improve their 50 yard dash time.