Grace Christian Rams 2010

utvolzfan

Why the tougher penalty? Because there is something that just grates on everyone, public or private that are following the rules, particularlly poorly---money being used to buy a kid in HS. I understand breaking a rule is breaking a rule--but when you buy them? Expect the worst.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't posted in a very long time. This is getting ridiculous though. I have been a GCA supporter for over 6 years now. My son played football and basketball at Grace, he graduated in May 2008. My daughter is still a student. I too live in Roane County (Kingston) as a couple other posters on here that support Grace. I could not imagine sending my children back to public schools after seeing academically and spiritually, the advantages at Grace. My son is now a Christian Ministry major (Bible Theology) in college...he would not have ever been prepared for this in his former public school. You could not force my daughter to go back to a public school. The difference is like night and day.

Anyway, my main reason for this post is to say that yes, GCA did violate a TSSAA rule.....UNKNOWINGLY. I know it was a simple mistake. It was a ministry of the church. Pastors and church's are supposed to help people. Eric has gone through more than anyone could imagine. The money was given to the grandparents to help him. IT WAS NOT GIVEN TO THE SCHOOL!! Lets put athletics and GCA aside for a moment because we need to think about the life and soul of a once 14 year old skrony kid needing help. Lets think most importantly about where these kids may spend eternity.....that is by far the most important.

Below is the link of the full interview of the Pastor of Grace Baptist Church. Please watch it, it's around 20 minutes, but open up your hearts and minds and quit throwing stones.

http://www.wbir.com/video/default.aspx? ... 5265297001

There HAS to be more to it than just the church giving money to the grandparents. I heard a TSSAA representative on the radio when the story broke who specifically said that the TSSAA does not look into what someone does with money that they have been given. And if the whole situation was done "unknowingly", then why the tougher penalties than the other violations that claim they didn't know? Again, either all the facts aren't out in the open, or there are some real inconsistencies on the part of the TSSAA.

If it was unknowingly, then they wouldn't have benched him for the district tournament and the rest of the post season in basketball. That just so happened to come about a mere few days before the TSSAA began the investigation. The morals of the teachers or the lessons that are being taught are not what is being questioned. My wife coaches volley ball for a private school. EVERY transfer and freshmen that comes in, there is a meeting held with the parents where these guidelines are explained to the parents and they instructed to inform the administration about any monetary gifts given to students and their families to help in tuition. The principal, assistant Principal, AD, assistant AD, and all head coaches are present at the introduction meeting. It is explained to the parents that they must divulge that information before their students play sports. The parents are given 2 weeks to come privately and discuss their situation so there aren't any problems. If my wife's school of only 300 highschool students can do that, why can't grace? They were required to read the rules and regulations before joining the TSSAA. They were given the opportunity to ask questions. Ignorance cannot be claimed here. It is the Prinicipals, Athletic Directors, and Coaches RESPONSIBILITY to know, understand, and explain things like this, especially when they get SO MANY transfers every year. No EXCUSE.

Now, on another note. Grace met with the Board of Control yesterday. Any luck getting anything reduced?

I haven't posted in a very long time. This is getting ridiculous though. I have been a GCA supporter for over 6 years now. My son played football and basketball at Grace, he graduated in May 2008. My daughter is still a student. I too live in Roane County (Kingston) as a couple other posters on here that support Grace. I could not imagine sending my children back to public schools after seeing academically and spiritually, the advantages at Grace. My son is now a Christian Ministry major (Bible Theology) in college...he would not have ever been prepared for this in his former public school. You could not force my daughter to go back to a public school. The difference is like night and day.

Anyway, my main reason for this post is to say that yes, GCA did violate a TSSAA rule.....UNKNOWINGLY. I know it was a simple mistake. It was a ministry of the church. Pastors and church's are supposed to help people. Eric has gone through more than anyone could imagine. The money was given to the grandparents to help him. IT WAS NOT GIVEN TO THE SCHOOL!! Lets put athletics and GCA aside for a moment because we need to think about the life and soul of a once 14 year old skrony kid needing help. Lets think most importantly about where these kids may spend eternity.....that is by far the most important.

Below is the link of the full interview of the Pastor of Grace Baptist Church. Please watch it, it's around 20 minutes, but open up your hearts and minds and quit throwing stones.

Only one question, their were many people outside of Grace that thought they were cheating, it seems to me the Grace people should have known as much about it as the rest of us. The Williams kid was not the first. Grace has probably had more transfers over the past 4 years than any other school in the state.I don't think it was just pure luck. Someone is going out of their way to bring them in. Most of it never gets caught up with, but its happening. Its call undue influence.

Re: Grace Christian Rams 2010

by Southeastfootball » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 am

If it was unknowingly, then they wouldn't have benched him for the district tournament and the rest of the post season in basketball. That just so happened to come about a mere few days before the TSSAA began the investigation. The morals of the teachers or the lessons that are being taught are not what is being questioned. My wife coaches volley ball for a private school. EVERY transfer and freshmen that comes in, there is a meeting held with the parents where these guidelines are explained to the parents and they instructed to inform the administration about any monetary gifts given to students and their families to help in tuition. The principal, assistant Principal, AD, assistant AD, and all head coaches are present at the introduction meeting. It is explained to the parents that they must divulge that information before their students play sports. The parents are given 2 weeks to come privately and discuss their situation so there aren't any problems. If my wife's school of only 300 highschool students can do that, why can't grace? They were required to read the rules and regulations before joining the TSSAA. They were given the opportunity to ask questions. Ignorance cannot be claimed here. It is the Prinicipals, Athletic Directors, and Coaches RESPONSIBILITY to know, understand, and explain things like this, especially when they get SO MANY transfers every year. No EXCUSE.

Now, on another note. Grace met with the Board of Control yesterday. Any luck getting anything reduced?

Any news on the Board of Control meeting yet?

I think Wanamaker may have had a little help also.Seems like he knew it was cheating or he would have just paid the tuition to the school. Said they had helped may kids, this was the only one to play varsity sports, Isort of doubt that.

After all this pub, may be alot of people in the Knoxville area holding their hand out. But if they give the money to the parents, very few would ever get caught. I'm curious as to how they got proof of this.

[quote name="sneakypete

Don't all member schools agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the TSSAA? I guess what I'm wondering is where is the difference between ineligible players? This kid is ineligible because of money' date=' that one is ineligible because of grades, or age, or transfers, or whatever. Why has the TSSAA all of a sudden made a distinction and handed out a much more severe punishment for this case than others?[/quote]

Read what was posted.

There is a huge difference in a player being ineligible at a public school because of a transfer issue and a player being ineligible at a private school playing in division one because he received financial aid. As I said, that's an apples and oranges comparison. It's really not hard to understand, if you think logically about it.

Why the tougher penalty? Because there is something that just grates on everyone, public or private that are following the rules, particularlly poorly---money being used to buy a kid in HS. I understand breaking a rule is breaking a rule--but when you buy them? Expect the worst.

I was told that this was such a stiff penalty because of the short amount of time Grace has been a school, this is either the second or third time they have broken a rule of some kind. I dunno. I know several kids that have played or play for Grace and I wish them the best of luck and keep your heads up!

Hey Ram Fan, I'm glad Jesus decided to come eat with ole publicans like me instead of hanging out with the Pharisees if you know what I mean, brother. My Father is a a Bible Theology professor and he came from back in the day when everybody went to school together. If your little Johnny and Suzy have the holy ghost, then it ain't gonna matter where they go to school because their faith in Christ will keep them from sin. What bothers me, is there is too many cliques in society. We see degenerates walking the halls of our high schools and everyone wants to keep their juniors and misses away from them. I don't care how many degrees in theology you get, if your not trying to win souls and help the misguided and unfortunate, then its all garbage and God will spew it all out of his mouth at the judgement. I don't mean to rant and rave because you seem to want whats best for your kids. I've just seen too many preachers with 5 or 6 vehicles in their driveway while many in the congregation are struggling just to pay their tithes. Am I out of line, or is their something wrong with this picture? :?:

I guess I like atheletics as much as anyone you're ever gonna see, but in the big scheme of things , its not that big of a deal. Grace or any church should have more to worry about than if their school can compete in the playoffs. When the good Lord hands out trophies, I doubt any of them will be for Football.

i watched the interview with the pastor and i dont know if i fault him as much as the athletic directors and the basketball and football coaches. i mean they have coaches who have came from schools all around in order to coach at grace. and you mean to tell me that none of them had any idea that they were in the wrong??? i dont buy that. i dont think bad of grace as a school or a church, it is not my place to judge them, i'm sure there are many good people affiliated with the school. however, i do believe that the coaches and/or athletic directors are giving the athletic programs a "we will do anything to win" reputation. actions speak louder then words and when you have players getting thrown out of games and coaches running the score up on teams that under achieve year in and year out, it dont look very good on the program or what the school stands for. there are many successful coaches out there with good morals and character who do it the right way. after this whole fiasco i think they need to clean house, get these coaches out of there and bring in some individuals who represent the goals that are mentioned on their web site, integrity, responsibility, perseverance, christian ethics, team work etc.