gordonsville@smith co.

pasttiger

I'd hate for my kid to be expected to show respect and have some discipline...wouldn't you? (sarcasm) Instead of bashing your coaching staff like some others, you decide to rip at SC's head coach. Keep it classy.

I wasn't trying to bash Maynord, just trying to point out that he can do as he pleases because he is in charge of himself on the chain of command.

I discipline my son when he needs it and he knows not to point fingers at teammates or coaches in a loss. My son has done his share of running after practice and I agree with it. Even if I didn't I would never say a word because I try to teach my son to respect authority.

Edited by thebluetigerpaw

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluetigerpaw, I agree with your post for the most part, but calling Maynard a dictator is a stretch.

I'm not close to the program, obviously, as others there are, but evidently he doesn't allow parents,

fans or others to decide how he coaches his players, and rightly so. Neither Satterfield nor Creasy

does either. They get results, they run the show.

I listened to the game on the radio. G'ville had many opportunities to make this game have a much

different outcome, but couldn't seal the deal when it counted. SC was well prepared, especially

on defense. G'ville wasn't.

Best of luck the rest of the season...except when the Jackets come calling.

It helps Creasy when your ex head coach is the superintendent, doesn't it? That is all I am trying to say. I don't think Marshall has the same kind of support from the higher ups and you have to have that to make it all work. Also when you have some gold balls under your belt, you are going to get your way. Hope we can do the same one of these days.

Good luck to the Jackets and take care of our Coach Jackson.

Edited by thebluetigerpaw

As a Gordonsville Alum, I really am tired of reading people post, "WE SHOULD HAVE WON." Face it, SC has better numbers, and really is just a better football team. If you should have won, then shut up and freaking do it. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, I haven't been to an SC-Gordonsville game in quite some time, probably about 5 years maybe. I like getting on here and reading about my alma mater, not much of a poster anymore, but please people, stop with the excuses. You can't make any logical excuses as to why SC won when the margin of the score was 20 points, maybe if the margin of victory is 2 points, not when it's 20.

As for the discipline ordeal, I went to a HS football game here in the Las Vegas area tonight, a kid broke away on a 70 yard TD run and as he crosses into the end zone he decides to somersault in the air and score the TD, naturally this is called as a penalty, bad discipline on the player. What shocked me ever more so, the head coach then proceeds to chew out this player and marches him straight to the locker room. There is a time and a place for a player to be punished for making a bone head decision, but in front off all the home fans was not the place. Just shows you coaches can be undisciplined as well...

As a Gordonsville Alum, I really am tired of reading people post, "WE SHOULD HAVE WON." Face it, SC has better numbers, and really is just a better football team. If you should have won, then shut up and freaking do it. I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, I haven't been to an SC-Gordonsville game in quite some time, probably about 5 years maybe. I like getting on here and reading about my alma mater, not much of a poster anymore, but please people, stop with the excuses. You can't make any logical excuses as to why SC won when the margin of the score was 20 points, maybe if the margin of victory is 2 points, not when it's 20.

As for the discipline ordeal, I went to a HS football game here in the Las Vegas area tonight, a kid broke away on a 70 yard TD run and as he crosses into the end zone he decides to somersault in the air and score the TD, naturally this is called as a penalty, bad discipline on the player. What shocked me ever more so, the head coach then proceeds to chew out this player and marches him straight to the locker room. There is a time and a place for a player to be punished for making a bone head decision, but in front off all the home fans was not the place. Just shows you coaches can be undisciplined as well...

Thank you shizzle, good post. Go Tigers! Let's get in region-mode and take it game by game.

You didn't watch or listen to the game.

0-0 at half and it very well should've been 10-0 in Gvill's favor.

Since you don't care anymore, don't talk.

I agree with a lot of this. I've seen a day a time when the Tigers were as disciplined as anyone, and I haven't seen that in the last ten years.

Then you weren't watching earlier in the decade. The undisciplined teams came about later in this decade. I remember when I played we weren't even allowed to take off our helmets on the sideline...I know my teammates and I had respect for our coaches and we were very much so disciplined...

I didn't have to get online last night after the game to know what I would find on here this morning. The main thing in Gville is the defeated attitude of the town. Instead of focusing on an entire season, there are people who judge it all by this one game. When we lose, they cast stones everywhere. Our season is over now and everyone needs to be fired . Grow up . This is one game. It would have been great to have won but we didn't. We haven't for 12 yrs now. The sun is still shining and the birds are still singing this morning and we have eight games left that mean something to make the playoffs. Congrats to the Owls for winning again. How do you expect the players not to give up when YOU give up on the program after one game? The players know what is coming from our so-called fans when they lose this one. They quit on us.

I just want to say that I am proud of the Tigers and will have their backs every single game. We faced adversity and for the most part fought back tooth and nail. We got wore down. Yes, we got some bad calls, but we also didn't capitalize on drives that should have resulted in points. We shot ourselves in the foot over and over last night. Our defense played hard but they simply wore out. Credit that to the Owls and their play. Look in at this as an outsider with nothing at stake, and realize you are going to pick a 3a school over a 1a school every single time. Do you think the Owls could go and beat Riverdale? Could South Pitt beat Alcoa? Could Trousdale beat Maryville? Who would be favored by the mass? I think you know the answer. When you are playing a bigger school, you are fighting an uphill battle from the get-go. We have got to stop this quitter attitude in our town and keep fighting to support this team. Some of our fans need a choke chain on here.

One more thing I want to say, you put all your hopes in Medley coming back. But when we lose, you jump on the guy's back on here. You were fine last week when we won. Think about it. The team wins and the team loses. He can't help it if we throw three INT's and fumble away the ball.

Maynord is in a unique situation. If a parent doesn't like how a coach is doing things, they can race to the principal to whine. But In carthage,Maynord has ultimate power as head coach . If Phil Fulmer also had Mike Hamilton's job, he would never have been fired would he? I know many Carthage parents that don't like many of his coaching techniques and that is why their children are either at Gville, at other schools, or don't play anymore. I don't know of any other head coach with as much power as that guy has. He gets results but usually dictators do. Kudos to him for another win and best wishes for another successful season.

I'm sorry but the bigger school thing doesn't wash with me. I've seen Gordonsville own Carthageand some of the coaches on our team have been part of that.

And, I'm not putting this on any one person. I didn't agree with some decisions made last night, and I'm not calling for anyone's job. Extreme frustration caused me to type most of what I did last night.

I think last night's game shows what the coaches and players need to change.

If they don't change, it will be more of the same the next two weeks. And, if anyone disagrees with that, they're crazy.

Guest Termite

BTP....Maybe running to the principle , or coach and whinning is part of a problem.

Make no mistke about it. Maynord is a football coach. There is no coach ANYWHERE worth his salt if he makes everybody happy. There are always some that don't like him or his style. I don't agree with everything he, or his staff does. I don't think I'm supposed to. I heard him say, "I can't come to your job and watch and critique your work,but every Friday nite, you get to come see and critque mine." Most of G-ville just witnessed it....with, according to most, blue nation having the best talent, best players, strongest, fastest..etc......

Maynord never played for SC. He has no ties here except his job. He doesn't live here. He never played with "little Johnny's" dad. He don't care what your last name is.

I know some kids have moved from SC because of coaching , BUT I know some who have moved to SC FOR THE COACHING.......

And I've heard many teachers and others say he is a better principle than coach.

You didn't watch or listen to the game.

0-0 at half and it very well should've been 10-0 in Gvill's favor.

Since you don't care anymore, don't talk.

Now Croz, please point out in my post where I said I don't care.

I just said I haven't been to a game in quite some time. If I didn't care, then I wouldn't read about Gordonsville anymore. You're right, I didn't watch or listen, by the time I got off work(6pm pacific time), the game was about half over. And there you go, should have been 10-0 Gville at the half, but you know what croz? It wasn't. It was tied at 0 at half time. Shoulda woulda coulda, we should have beat SC a few times in the past decade but we didn't. You don't hear me making excuses why we lost to SC throughout my high school career do you? Nope, we got beat and that was that.

By the way, the SC streak over Gville is very much so a mental thing now. I don't even have to watch the game to know once one bad thing happens to Gville to know it's all down hill from there

Then you weren't watching earlier in the decade. The undisciplined teams came about later in this decade. I remember when I played we weren't even allowed to take off our helmets on the sideline...I know my teammates and I had respect for our coaches and we were very much so disciplined...

Actually it was about mid decade. And, the teams in this decade weren't as disciplined as they were in the mid to late 90's.

The same coaching staff that didn't let you take your helmets off on the sidelines changed a couple of years later and started allowing it.

Bottom line discipline is an issue, and until it's fixed, this team won't be able to accomplish what it can.