Maryville and Alcoa playing now

THSVikings2004

Without reading anything on here,I'll give my own thoughts as a guy that doesn't have a dog in the race.Either team could have won this game and it was one of the best highschool games that I've ever seen.If you played 100 times,I wouldn't give one team an edge over the other.It just happen to fall Alcoa's way.There should only be respect between these teams,because ''if''' you had to play each other in the playoffs,it would be a toss up game.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A play comes to mind when an Alcoa player submarined into the pile on a ball carrier well after the play was over and no call was made. Spoke to one of the kicker's parents this morning, definitely took a pretty good lick on the roughing call. Like any close game there are calls you wonder about. Ironic it is the winning team doing all the whinning though.

Its not a this cost us that cost us deal. Its just generalized that the officiating is never good in this game. Ive wanted outside officials for years now. Alcoa fans spend half their games booing officials because they think we get bad calls and then for the rest of the season we hear other teams talking about how Maryville gets "special treatment" from Officials. Neither team deserves that. These two teams are arguably the premier schools in Tennessee and we should have biased outside officials. At least then you can say "Well it was just a missed call/good call" and not have to worry in the back of your mind "Hey isnt this the guy that royally hates Team A and is overly obsessed with Team B.

Its not a this cost us that cost us deal. Its just generalized that the officiating is never good in this game. Ive wanted outside officials for years now. Alcoa fans spend half their games booing officials because they think we get bad calls and then for the rest of the season we hear other teams talking about how Maryville gets "special treatment" from Officials. Neither team deserves that. These two teams are arguably the premier schools in Tennessee and we should have biased outside officials. At least then you can say "Well it was just a missed call/good call" and not have to worry in the back of your mind "Hey isnt this the guy that royally hates Team A and is overly obsessed with Team B.

Watched Alcoa Maryville battles for many years and have never witnessed the officiating making a difference. As for Maryville gets Special treatment.... :lol: whatever 74. Enjoy your win. Great team your school has this year.

The ref did seem to not want to throw the flag on the false start when the running back jumped before the snap. He seemingly just stood there and hoped nobody saw it until the crowd went into and uproar and then he threw the flag.

He started reaching for his flag when it happened, but he couldn't find it. I guess it was too deep in his pocket. It was a late flag, but the correct call.

He started reaching for his flag when it happened, but he couldn't find it. I guess it was too deep in his pocket. It was a late flag, but the correct call.

This is a case study in perspective....

alcoa fans were losing their minds over the flag not being thrown sooner and perceived that the ref didn't want to throw one against Maryville.

I, as a Maryville fan, was losing my mind at the "late flag" perceiving that it was thrown in response to the alcoa crowd reaction.

I guess we all wear "[insert team color here]-colored" glasses sometimes.

Watched Alcoa Maryville battles for many years and have never witnessed the officiating making a difference. As for Maryville gets Special treatment.... :lol: whatever 74. Enjoy your win. Great team your school has this year.

Sorry sunshine, I only go to one Maryville game a year. Im just going by what I read here about "special treatment" I never said beyond a shadow of a doubt that it does or doesnt happen because I dont bare witness to it so please dont try to put words into my mouth. However, You might wanna ask William Blount fans about a certain Field Goal/Extra point.......

This is a case study in perspective....

alcoa fans were losing their minds over the flag not being thrown sooner and perceived that the ref didn't want to throw one against Maryville.

I, as a Maryville fan, was losing my mind at the "late flag" perceiving that it was thrown in response to the alcoa crowd reaction.

I guess we all wear "[insert team color here]-colored" glasses sometimes.

It was mentioned (by a Maryville fan) either in this thread or another one of the 5 AHS-MHS threads that the ref was reaching for the flag. From the position of Alcoa fans you cant see him reaching for the flag. It was clearly a false start though, even Stevie Wonder could see that. Im just glad it was called.

A play comes to mind when an Alcoa player submarined into the pile on a ball carrier well after the play was over and no call was made. Spoke to one of the kicker's parents this morning, definitely took a pretty good lick on the roughing call. Like any close game there are calls you wonder about. Ironic it is the winning team doing all the whinning though.

Being objective: I thought that there would be a late hit call on that play, however the Alcoa player was going full speed, but instead of submarining he instead attemped to leap over the "crowd" of players. I knew that there would be a roughing the kicker call, but that being said, the kicker should have taken home a gold statue (Oscar).

Being objective: I thought that there would be a late hit call on that play, however the Alcoa player was going full speed, but instead of submarining he instead attemped to leap over the "crowd" of players. I knew that there would be a roughing the kicker call, but that being said, the kicker should have taken home a gold statue (Oscar).

I assume we're referring to the play where #4 kinda superman'd the pile close to the end of the game. I cringed when he did it. It was a borderline call to me. There were players/officials in my way so I didnt see if he "piled on" or just skidded as he went over.

Sorry sunshine, I only go to one Maryville game a year. Im just going by what I read here about "special treatment" I never said beyond a shadow of a doubt that it does or doesnt happen because I dont bare witness to it so please dont try to put words into my mouth. However, You might wanna ask William Blount fans about a certain Field Goal/Extra point.......

Sunshine?....so you want to get into a name calling contest? :lol:

So you are going on the words of losers......I see. As an Alcoa fan you should know better than that. FYI that was an extra point that the kicker missed. Trying to prove a point through another team that lost? Like I said....enjoy the win. Darn fine team Alcoa has this year.

Now '74 sum ov tham refs jist got a little moore back than othurs.....And eye luv tha Will-Yum Blunt gaim frum a few yeers ago.....Hit wuz a grait call maid bye a man who eye've haiv allways knowed that he eats hiz care-its evur day....Eye wuz told by a few long time Alcouh watchurs that thiz wood be thair best teem evur when Warren and Tyson and crew were in middull skool....And eye beeleeve thay's rite....Mairvul iz still purty green and ewe nose that's trew when'st ewe got a frashman runnin' back playin (and scorrin) in a gaim like this.... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

I'm so happy I made the trip over to Maryville to see one of the best high school football games ever! Both teams played outstanding football all night. Maryville I feel has improved from last season, and there junior QB is a heck of a player! Alcoa beat him up all night, but he stood in there and made some great throws! However Alcoa has the best most physical team I have ever seen. They man handled Maryville up front on both sides of the ball, #66 is a beast! Also thunder and lightning in the back field is unstoppable. Warren runs the ball like Mike alsot used to, and Van was breaking ankles on almost every run! Alcoa is to good a team to be playing 3a ball. If there is a team in the entire state of tennessee that could beat them, I would love to see it.