Who Can Play with Alcoa in 3A

logcabinman

Not to get completely off topic here, but...does anyone know how Gallatin got selected to go to the "Herbstreet Invitational", or whatever they're calling it? No disrespect to my neighbors to the west, but they really haven't been too relevant, as far as state title contenders, in quite some time. It just seems to me that the State of Tn. hasn't put their best foot forward, in these "made for tv" match-ups....not that we've had too many. Byrnes (SC) handled MBA a few years ago, and Brentwood Academy got blasted in Alabama prior to that (I think). The thing was, both MBA and BA, didn't have anything close to "their best teams" in those particular years.

I guess my questions are.... Who puts these match-ups together? Why would they look any further than Blount Co. to get the best from Tn.? And have either of the two of you been approached about a match-ups like this?

I mean, two years ago when this was scheduled, did Herbstreet go...."I know, we need a team from Tennessee. Let's see hear...one of, if not the, nation's longest winning streaks in Maryville, multiple-consecutive state titles from both schools in the same county, and both producing big time D1 prospects. That settles it....we're asking the Green Wave!" :rolleyes:

Not to get completely off topic here, but...does anyone know how Gallatin got selected to go to the "Herbstreet Invitational", or whatever they're calling it? No disrespect to my neighbors to the west, but they really haven't been too relevant, as far as state title contenders, in quite some time. It just seems to me that the State of Tn. hasn't put their best foot forward, in these "made for tv" match-ups....not that we've had too many. Byrnes (SC) handled MBA a few years ago, and Brentwood Academy got blasted in Alabama prior to that (I think). The thing was, both MBA and BA, didn't have anything close to "their best teams" in those particular years.

I guess my questions are.... Who puts these match-ups together? Why would they look any further than Blount Co. to get the best from Tn.? And have either of the two of you been approached about a match-ups like this?

I mean, two years ago when this was scheduled, did Herbstreet go...."I know, we need a team from Tennessee. Let's see hear...one of, if not the, nation's longest winning streaks in Maryville, multiple-consecutive state titles from both schools in the same county, and both producing big time D1 prospects. That settles it....we're asking the Green Wave!" :rolleyes:

Gallatin's game was not part of the Herbie. That is next week. That game was set up by both coaches. And you're right, TN has not put their best foot forward except for MBA, Brentwood and a few others.It has been stated every year that the organizers are more than willing to hear suggestions from fans on matchups they want to see. They do their best to make it happen, but it is hard(signed commitments to play other teams that last several years, trying to gage who is going to have a good year 2 or 3 yrs from now, etc). Two yrs ago, I contacted them and mentioned Maryville and Alcoa specifically. This will make some mad, but so be it....it is fact. "The streak" was nice and all, but in my opinion, and even in national "experts" discussion, was done against TN competition. Not a lot of respect outside of the region. There are too many teams that are playing these national type teams, and if you're not-you're not in the discussion much. There are a lot of teams that play Alcoas and Maryvilles several times a year, and win. It gets much tougher out there when you leave your own back yard and start playing teams that people across the nation are familiar with. Just ask Gallatin. I was told that at some point Maryville had been contacted but they couldn't make it happen. Why, I don't know, maybe the knowledgeable Rebel fans can elaborate on that.

This is who Alcoa needs to play....

This is Ohio's version of Alcoa with a much much tougher schedule every year. They are DIII and some yrs Div IV, and year in, year out play not just DivI and II schools, but powers, and dominate. In '07, playing in Division IV, they started out ranked #15 in the nation, beat the DivI runner-up Mentor(who ended up 11-3)before taking on Pa's big school runner-up in the Herbie. Take note of the statement made by Gateway's coach. Words he ends up eating.... Mooney vs Gateway Ended up losing title game on missed xpoint, in what is referred to as one of the biggest upsets in Ohio playoff history. Mooney/Coldwater

One of the most physical teams in Ohio yearly....

This is a smaller(250 boys) school that will play anybody. They are essentially a mirror image of Alcoa, with the exception that they play much better competition overall. Regular season and playoffs. Some people might not agree with the last statement, but we all know how pathetic the TN playoffs have become, and there is a reason why you don't see teams in Ohio winning 6 straight titles, or 74 straight. So Tornado/Rebel fans, get on the line and contact the folks at the Herbie, and ask them to get your team "on the stage". It would be great to see how they stack up with the teams who are playing these games. My link

Edited by jlmac4

It just seems to me that the State of Tn. hasn't put their best foot forward, in these "made for tv" match-ups....not that we've had too many. Byrnes (SC) handled MBA a few years ago, and Brentwood Academy got blasted in Alabama prior to that (I think). The thing was, both MBA and BA, didn't have anything close to "their best teams" in those particular years...

While others have joined the mix to an extent, Brentwood Academy, even despite only winning state once since the '97 split, is still widely associated with Tennessee high school football. The TSSAA suit certainly gave the school some unwanted press, but on the field, Brentwood Academy has been playing top flight programs for years, and has played an out-of-state opponent every year since 1983. They've won some, they've lost some. Their first true signature win came in 1988, when they went to Mississippi and beat Pascagoula, who was a consensus Top 20 team nationally in 1987 and featured future pros in Shane Matthews and Terrell Buckley. In 1990, they were invited to the Buddy La Rosa Classic in Cincinnati, which featured a few Cincy programs versus "national" teams (BA was just two years removed from a Top 10 ranking; BA lost this game 10-0 to LaSalle). Add in games in later years against St. X (OH) and Prattville (AL) and you have a battle-tested, recognizable program.

When MBA was invited to the Herbie in 2008, they were coming off a 12-0 state title season in 2007 and consensus number one ratings across the four third-party rating systems that rate teams statewide regardless of class. They may not have been 2008's best team in Tennessee, but they were certainly a worthy candidate based on 2007 accomplishments. Factor in past games against Bolles (FL), Byrnes (SC), and Trinity (KY) - all programs with Top 5 rankings at some point in the last 15 years - and you had a program very recognizable and sturdy enough to hold its own.

Riverdale didn't win state in 2005, but they were coming off 5 state straight title game appearances and two titles, so they were certainly a worthy representative to represent Tennessee in Ohio that year. And MUS last year, coming off a dominant 2008 campaign, was certainly a worthy candidate to play mighty South Panola in 2009, and beating SP was certainly sweet vindication.

I think Tennessee has done pretty well putting some of their best teams up against OOS competition. There are certainly others worthy each year as well, Alcoa included. We've had some setbacks - the MBA loss in 2005 doesn't even compare relatively to the 63-point whipping Independence (NC) gave A-E in 2001 - but there have been some huge wins as well, with that MUS win last year gaining the state a ton of new-found respect.

Edited by rollredroll

This is who Alcoa needs to play....

This is Ohio's version of Alcoa with a much much tougher schedule every year. They are DIII and some yrs Div IV, and year in, year out play not just DivI and II schools, but powers, and dominate. In '07, playing in Division IV, they started out ranked #15 in the nation, beat the DivI runner-up Mentor(who ended up 11-3)before taking on Pa's big school runner-up in the Herbie. Take note of the statement made by Gateway's coach. Words he ends up eating.... Mooney vs Gateway Ended up losing title game on missed xpoint, in what is referred to as one of the biggest upsets in Ohio playoff history. Mooney/Coldwater

One of the most physical teams in Ohio yearly....

This is a smaller(250 boys) school that will play anybody. They are essentially a mirror image of Alcoa, with the exception that they play much better competition overall. Regular season and playoffs. Some people might not agree with the last statement, but we all know how pathetic the TN playoffs have become, and there is a reason why you don't see teams in Ohio winning 6 straight titles, or 74 straight. So Tornado/Rebel fans, get on the line and contact the folks at the Herbie, and ask them to get your team "on the stage". It would be great to see how they stack up with the teams who are playing these games. My link

Jlmac, I have been preaching this for years. Alcoa and Maryville both need to go up there and see what they really got. They've conquered everything in TN. Now it is time to step it up a notch. Believe it or not, most of the Alcoa and Maryville fans on these boards disagree with that notion. I don't get it, but the support is apparently not there. I've tried. I really want some of our top public schools to get that national recognition that they deserve. I think Alcoa would probably lose to Mooney, but it would be a good game. Last year's Mooney team was lights out! ON the other hand, our private schools(mainly BA,MBA, and MUS) have represented TN very well over the years. I just hope MUS can stay within 2 touchdowns of S. Panola this year.

I do not recall seeing many AHS or MHS fans proclaiming national dominance. Ido however read many west tn fans comments on East Tn teams due to their chagrin about the success of those teams. just say'n.

That's because (we) Alcoa and Maryville fans are not on here jawing about national dominance. However, I see that this subject is not going to be put to bed anytime soon especially as long as AHS and MHS continue to produce powerful (TN) football teams.

There are many factors (too many for this board)that make it difficult for these two public high schools to play out of state competition year in and year out. Maryville might be in a better position financially than Alcoa, but the truth is that it takes more than just $$$ to make it happen. There has to be people in place who are dedicated in making it happen, in other words it's a business in and of itself. In addition there has to be coordination and collaboration on several different levels not just locally with these teams, but also accross the state of TN. Boosters, Alums, TSSAA, and other supporters have to come to the table also UT has to step up their in-state recruiting (sore subject here).

Anyway I have been in conversation with some of my colleagues who are former college and NFL players as well as business persons about what can be done to increase the national exposure and reputation of TN high school football and they all agree that it will take a real coordinated effort. It's a process!! With that said they have agreed to join me in helping those who want to go to college and play ball (DIII-DI) do so. I will be making the trip this weekend to see the 2010 version of the F5 :thumb:

I know I started this birdwalk, but for the most part I really don't care who Maryville and Alcoa play out of state.

That said, I'd love, love, love if the two school could coordinate with each other and two of the major privates (MBA and BA) to play a kick-off special weekend in the 11 and 12 seasons. It would have to be Week 0, but I'd love to see it.

I know I started this birdwalk, but for the most part I really don't care who Maryville and Alcoa play out of state.

That said, I'd love, love, love if the two school could coordinate with each other and two of the major privates (MBA and BA) to play a kick-off special weekend in the 11 and 12 seasons. It would have to be Week 0, but I'd love to see it.

:thumb:

:thumb:

Play it in Blount Co. one year and Nashville the next. Do it on Friday/Saturday nights or Saturday afternoon/night. Neyland's not an option so we'd have to play it at the schools here, but maybe in Nashville play it at Vandy if possible.

Man......I may work on this myself. :flower:

Of course then follow it up in week 1 with the Maryville/Alcoa game.

Edited by Solomon