Gerry Bertier 3A Playoff Bracket

Gerry Bertier

Gerry:

It is scary how accurate your bracket was this week my friend.

You nailed both Q-2 and Q-4.

In Q-1 you missed South Greene, Elizabethton, & Gatlinburg-Pittman.

In Q-3 if you flip/flop Grundy County & East Literature then you have that bracket nailed as well.

WELL DONE MY FRIEND :thumb:

Yeah I should of taken some more time to make sure I had the tiebreakers correct, but I wanted to go ahead and get the bracket out there. This next week I will make sure I get those right when I put up the bracket Saturday morning. I wish the TSSAA would just put me on the payroll for this stuff.

Look the debate of playing up and down will works itself out this scheduling period. 2 years ago, the new system put a little value in total wins, but you could still schedule tough and qualify. Now that the TSSAA has changed the rules after 1 year, the whole point is to get as many wins as possible.

With this being the case now, 1A and 2A teams will not schedule up, neither will 3A or 4A teams, that will leave 5A and 6A teams playing one another. 3A and 4A teams playing one another, and 1A and 2A teams playing one another.

You will only see top notch 1A and 2A programs scheduling up knowing they will finish in the top 2 in their district. Same for the higher classifications. It would not make sense for some of these 1A teams playing 3A and 4A teams this upcoming scheduling period.

The question for teams will be is it more important to qualify for the playoffs or make money at the gate? My prediction is this scheduling period will be the toughest any current coach has seen in his time.

Look the debate of playing up and down will works itself out this scheduling period. 2 years ago, the new system put a little value in total wins, but you could still schedule tough and qualify. Now that the TSSAA has changed the rules after 1 year, the whole point is to get as many wins as possible.

With this being the case now, 1A and 2A teams will not schedule up, neither will 3A or 4A teams, that will leave 5A and 6A teams playing one another. 3A and 4A teams playing one another, and 1A and 2A teams playing one another.

You will only see top notch 1A and 2A programs scheduling up knowing they will finish in the top 2 in their district. Same for the higher classifications. It would not make sense for some of these 1A teams playing 3A and 4A teams this upcoming scheduling period.

The question for teams will be is it more important to qualify for the playoffs or make money at the gate? My prediction is this scheduling period will be the toughest any current coach has seen in his time.

The problem with this is why are there Conferences? Winning a Conference means nothing other than you get a little plaque. Head to head means nothing. TSSAA should have let the schools know they were going to this format 3 years ago so teams could schedule cupcakes, so they could get some home games in the playoffs. You have the conference champion seeded 7th when teams they beat have 3rd and 4th seeds. If I was CD seeded second and had to play Elizabethton who was undefeated in their conference and its losses have been to a 6A team, the #1 team in TN 4A and the #3 team in 3A in NC and is on their way to play the #2, 3A team in TN Friday I might be a little upset .

The question for teams will be is i to qualify for the playoffs or make money at the gate? My prediction is this scheduling period will be the toughest any current coach has seen in his time.

I think there is a lot of truth to what you've suggested would be the likely outcome, Gerry. But I think another major factor is the difficulty some of the better teams will have in scheduling out of region games. Everyone knows the difficulty of Alcoa getting opponents, but this has expanded to include many other teams with a recent history of being a tough match up.

I don't see why teams wouldn't keep their "rivalrys" in play. Huntingdon didn't drop their games with McKenzie, Camden, Milan, or Westview this year. Their schedule was brutal for a single A team. I heard they were next year but that game means as much to Camden, McKenzie, Milan, and Westview as does a playoff game. It's bragging rights amongst friends and co-workers from other communities. I hate the Mustangs as much as anyone, but to see them off the schedule is a travesty. That's what I hate about the new playoff scheme. It destroys those rivalries. If Alcoa and Maryville didn't play, what would that do to those towns being that close. The TSSAA is trying to mandate too much instead of letting the teams decide who they want to play. Play 6 district games and 4 non-district games and base playoffs on district standings and tie breakers. The TSSAA is trying to be like the NFL too much. In college you can have a team 7-5 with a conference record of 7-0 playing in a conference title game instead of a team 9-2 with a conference record of 6-1. This playing up and down shouldn't effect your playoff run.

• Upvote 1

How about this perspective from a team playing up. Loudon has 2 losses. Both to region opponents (Alcoa & CAK). Loudon has victorys over Campbell County, Lenoir City, & Bradley Central, 5A & 6A schools. They will get some points in the tie breaker from TSSAA, but in the big picture, will be seen in the same light as a Bledsoe County. I agree with the posts that say there should be some kind of multiplier for playing larger schools.

How about this perspective from a team playing up. Loudon has 2 losses. Both to region opponents (Alcoa & CAK). Loudon has victorys over Campbell County, Lenoir City, & Bradley Central, 5A & 6A schools. They will get some points in the tie breaker from TSSAA, but in the big picture, will be seen in the same light as a Bledsoe County. I agree with the posts that say there should be some kind of multiplier for playing larger schools.

I disagree about the multiplier because what if a team plays a bottom feeding 5A team (i.e. Metro School), and then another team plays a 2A Power (i.e. Trousdale County). Why should the team that plays the weaker opponent be giving the advantage. The higher the classification doesn't always mean the tougher opponent.

I disagree about the multiplier because what if a team plays a bottom feeding 5A team (i.e. Metro School), and then another team plays a 2A Power (i.e. Trousdale County). Why should the team that plays the weaker opponent be giving the advantage. The higher the classification doesn't always mean the tougher opponent.

...I agree, Gerry...I just wish the classifications would have remained the way they were a few years ago...I know it's nothing we can do about it now, but at least I was able to figure out who we would be playing before the season ended!!!

...Nice work on the Quads so far!!!

Some have requested that I post what the brackets would be. I waited til after week 8 so some of the mud would clear. A couple of things before I list the bracket. Remember seeding is NOT based on district placement, but on total victories. Also, they eliminated the repeat district match-ups ban in the 1st round. Here is what you have wanted, I am sure it will spark some excellent discussion. Also the last team out was York Institute at (4-5). Last team in was Piegon Forge. Alot will change in the next two weeks.

Quad 1

1 West Greene (7-2)

8 Piegon Forge (4-4)

4 Happy Valley (5-2)

5 South Greene (5-3)

3 Sullivan North (6-3)

6 Gatlinburg Pittman (5-3)

2 Chuckey Doak (6-2)

7 Elizabethon (5-3)

Quad 2

1 Alcoa (8-0)

8 Sweetwater (4-4)*

4 Loudon (6-2)

5 Tyner (6-2)

3 Polk Co. (7-1)

6 Kingston (5-3)

2 CAK (8-0)

7 Austin East (5-3)

Quad 3

1 Smith Co. (8-1)

8 Grundy Co. (5-3)

4 Bledsoe Co. (6-2)

5 East Literature (6-2)

3 Goodpasture (7-1)

6 Pearl Cohn (5-3)

2 Howard (7-1)

7 Sequathcie Co. (5-3)

Quad 4

1 Camden (9-0)

8 Cheatham Co. (4-4)

4 Oakhaven (6-2)

5 CPA (5-4)

3 Fairview (7-1)

6 Westview (5-3)

2 Milan (7-1)

7 Stewart Co. (5-3)

I think Lewis County will have a good chance to get in with a 4-6 record. If they do...that will send CPA to quad 3 & Howard to quad 2. Manassas has to win out to get in...don't think they will beat Kingsbury. Also...if York beats Smith Co. they will get in. If not...I think they will lose tie-breaker with Lewis Co. I don't think Pigeon Forge will beat A-E or Gatlinburg-Pittman. If they beat one...they will be in.

If Goodpasture wins out...they will likely be the #1 seed in quad 3.

Edited by Antwan

I think Lewis County will have a good chance to get in with a 4-6 record. If they do...that will send CPA to quad 3 & Howard to quad 2. Manassas has to win out to get in...don't think they will beat Kingsbury. Also...if York beats Smith Co. they will get in. If not...I think they will lose tie-breaker with Lewis Co. I don't think Pigeon Forge will beat A-E or Gatlinburg-Pittman. If they beat one...they will be in.

If Goodpasture wins out...they will likely be the #1 seed in quad 3.

There is also a good chance Chattanooga Christian could beat out Lewis County and end with a 5-5 record. They have Whitwell and Bledsoe County left. Whitwell is a likely win and Bledsoe is a possible win.