Elizabethton @ Alcoa

EHSTrack06

Being involved with this team for the countless year I have, I understand where you're coming from but dont sell the rest of the city out. The amazing athletes that came out of the Hall and Old Field communities couldnt do it without the athletes that came out of the Springbrook and Armona areas...and vice versa. Alcoa shows it's a team effort! :thumb:

Don't forget Eagleton Village, Blount Hills and Rockford as well as Bassell and Rock Gardens.

Edited by Red Rebels

Scots I (an African American man) stand with you as a brother. I read cp's post, but felt it not worthy of my response, especially since I could sense the intent of his comment (for shame, and in 2010 no less). I am proud of the diversity of the community and school (which includes Hispanics, Asians, Africans, etc.) I love the Hall/Oldfield and Spring Brook communities. The truth is- that is where the real talent pool springs from :thumb:

How about Irish folk? :thumb:

How about Irish folk? :thumb:

Are you really Irish? There is a misconception among the people of Southern Appalachia that they are Irish when actually they are Scottish or Scots. Let me ask you this, is there a Catholic church on every corner in Carter County? The answer to this is no. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Southern Baptist, Free Will Baptist, Christian, Methodist or Presbyterian and others... but not too many Catholic Churches. If you are a native with deep roots in Carter County and are truly Irish, you might be an Ulster Scot or as they say in America Scotch-Irish from Northern Ireland. There are exceptions... :thumb:

EHS coach Shawn Witten is Jason Witten's older brother. As a DB and WR/QB Shawn led the Cyclones to the state semifinals every year as a player, losing close, somewhat controversial games to Maryville (twice at least) and Knox Central. I believe Shawn is two years older than Jason. Shawn played four years at WR at Va Tech, starting at least two I think, including the year they made it to the NC game. Shawn was a grad assistant at UT for two years before taking the Cyclone head job four years ago. The program was down when Shawn took it, having had two coaches in the 6-7 years since Shawn's grandfather, Dave Rider, retired as HC. Coach Rider was a legendary coach for whom the field is now named. So Shawn knows how to win, and while EHS might not have the horses right now to run with the Tornado for 48 minutes, I guar-an-darn-tee they have the Heart. GO CYCLONES!!!

Shawn played in 2 semi final games in 97 and 98 his Jr. and Sr. years. He was gone when EHS played Knox Central. The 97 game Maryville beat EHS 42-21 and there was no controversy and he is 1 year older than Jason.

Edited by Tab

Everyone in Elizabethton would be happy if that did get blown down. Lowe's and Walmart would probably pay for it to be gone since it is right next to them. Back in the 70's that place was hopping and kept the town going but it went out sometime in the 90's.

Edited by Tab

Everyone in Elizabethton would be happy if that did get blown down. Lowe's and Walmart would probably pay for it to be gone since it is right next to them. Back in the 70's that place was hoping and kept the town going but it went out sometime in the 90's.

That would be a great spot for the new football field...

Are you really Irish? There is a misconception among the people of Southern Appalachia that they are Irish when actually they are Scottish or Scots. Let me ask you this, is there a Catholic church on every corner in Carter County? The answer to this is no. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Southern Baptist, Free Will Baptist, Christian, Methodist or Presbyterian and others... but not too many Catholic Churches. If you are a native with deep roots in Carter County and are truly Irish, you might be an Ulster Scot or as they say in America Scotch-Irish from Northern Ireland. There are exceptions... :thumb:

Ah........someone else that learned history on his own. ;)

[/quote/

That is true. There are McCurrys or MacCurrys all over Scotland, but McCoury's came from Northern Ireland. Some people wonder why I fly Union Jack flags as it is considered only a British flag. It also represents Northern Ireland. :thumb:

Edited by THE KING