Riverdale's Future?

Lost Old Dad

I am starting this thread because it is not fair to Ravenwood for R'dale fans to be griping in their thread.

workinprogress

"I agree Riverdaleman. Riverdale was really young this year and it showed at times. However, the foundation is there to be a great team next year. It takes time for a program to go through a coaching change most of the time. Oakland did it in a year so there are exceptions but they are few and far in between. Look how long it took Smyrna to become competitive and even more recently Blackman. Some Riverdale fans will not be happy until the warriors start playing for the gold ball year in and year out. That simply doesnt happen very often. Coach A is a good coach and Riverdale is lucky to have him. I dont see him leaving Riverdale any time soon. He may not have all of the fans' support but he does have the administration's support."

riverdaleman

he definatly has the administration support

OK so where are we going to find a defense for next year? DB's that have been coached to either play off their man by 5-7 yards or either play the opposite way and interfer. Or 'special teams' play for example. One only has to look how close our kicks came to getting blocked last week. Maybe one would like to know when we are going to either run a kick off or punt back for a touch down.

Lets look at the sidelines. Where once we had 100-110 VARSITY Players we are lucky to have 70 now. This translated to us being the team that got tired and quit the 4th quarter last week. How many now HAVE to play two ways? How about the fact the Freshman team is an after thought. It used to be an important foundation to the program.

This is purely Coach A's team as it has NOTHING left of the Great Program he got 5 years ago!

Some have suggested I support another team.......evidently I am because the team and coach who keeps choking year after year is NOT RIVERDALE that I supported and used to watch going to the big dance year after year! <_<

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOD, I noticed one time in the fourth quarter after the Riverdale lost the fumble into the endzone for the touchback. 9 of the 11 guys that were on offense went straight to the defensive huddle. Has this been the case all year. It just seemed like too many guys having to play the whole game. Those kids were out of gas.

I am starting this thread because it is not fair to Ravenwood for R'dale fans to be griping in their thread.

workinprogress

"I agree Riverdaleman. Riverdale was really young this year and it showed at times. However, the foundation is there to be a great team next year. It takes time for a program to go through a coaching change most of the time. Oakland did it in a year so there are exceptions but they are few and far in between. Look how long it took Smyrna to become competitive and even more recently Blackman. Some Riverdale fans will not be happy until the warriors start playing for the gold ball year in and year out. That simply doesnt happen very often. Coach A is a good coach and Riverdale is lucky to have him. I dont see him leaving Riverdale any time soon. He may not have all of the fans' support but he does have the administration's support."

riverdaleman

OK so where are we going to find a defense for next year? DB's that have been coached to either play off their man by 5-7 yards or either play the opposite way and interfer. Or 'special teams' play for example. One only has to look how close our kicks came to getting blocked last week. Maybe one would like to know when we are going to either run a kick off or punt back for a touch down.

Lets look at the sidelines. Where once we had 100-110 VARSITY Players we are lucky to have 70 now. This translated to us being the team that got tired and quit the 4th quarter last week. How many now HAVE to play two ways? How about the fact the Freshman team is an after thought. It used to be an important foundation to the program.

This is purely Coach A's team as it has NOTHING left of the Great Program he got 5 years ago!

Some have suggested I support another team.......evidently I am because the team and coach who keeps choking year after year is NOT RIVERDALE that I supported and used to watch going to the big dance year after year! <_<

May agree with you they got tired but to say they quit? Come on man your better than that.

workinprogress

riverdaleman

Sounds like a fair weather fan to me. I know you supported the old Riverdale right, before Coach A got there. Well how did Riverdale do before Rankin? I have asked you this question so many times and you just will not answer it. Rankin created a great dynasty at Riverdale. He had the coaching ability and the talent to accomplish that task. There were only two Murfreesboro schools at the time. Times have changed old dad. Now you have Oakland, Riverdale, Siegel, and Blackman with Stewarts Creek on the way. Add to that the rapid growth of the Smyrna area and them becoming really good and you have a completely different landscape than when Rankin was at Riverdale.

If you are a true fan you will support the team. To say this is not the team I once knew sounds to me like you are being a spoiled little brat. Riverdale has had two really good years outperforming most teams in the state and yet it still isnt good enough. What a joke.

LOD, I think that numbers are down for most teams across the board. There are a few exceptions, but the 100 man roster 10-12 graders for the most part may be a thing of the past. I have full respect for the Riverdale program as they still lead in our series, 5 games to 2 and I have been to all of those games.

But I do have this one question. Not trying to say I know more than the coach. Just a question, why with all that talent at the skill positions, would Riverdale be married to that wing t offense? Everybody is all packed in there together, has coach A ever thought about spreading the field with all that talent and getting the ball to the playmakers out in space with room to operate.

May agree with you they got tired but to say they quit? Come on man your better than that.

I am sorry. Did NOT mean the players QUIT. That was frustration coming thru with the STAFF! Best thing going in the coaches is Coach Fields with the receivers and the technique Coach Breedon is teaching the D-line. If they were not so tired having to play BOTH ways they would be a real force.

Also teams are talking about us the way we used to talk about our opposing linemen. What I am hearing is they are big, but SOFT and SLOW! Slow can be fixed with giving them breaks from playing both ways, but SOFT MUST be addressed in the weight room!

As to the question about has this been the norm this year,.....YES it has unfortunately. It is almost like the staff cannot deal with more than one group at a time.

Just another METRO YEAR!

workinprogress

"Sounds like a fair weather fan to me. I know you supported the old Riverdale right, before Coach A got there. Well how did Riverdale do before Rankin? I have asked you this question so many times and you just will not answer it. Rankin created a great dynasty at Riverdale. He had the coaching ability and the talent to accomplish that task. There were only two Murfreesboro schools at the time. Times have changed old dad. Now you have Oakland, Riverdale, Siegel, and Blackman with Stewarts Creek on the way. Add to that the rapid growth of the Smyrna area and them becoming really good and you have a completely different landscape than when Rankin was at Riverdale.

If you are a true fan you will support the team. To say this is not the team I once knew sounds to me like you are being a spoiled little brat. Riverdale has had two really good years outperforming most teams in the state and yet it still isnt good enough. What a joke."

Sounds like an assistant Coach that is sweating his job to me. Yes I am 'SPOILED'. I admit I do not like years where we have almost as many losses as we do wins. While 3 or 4 losses a year may be the norm for METRO, Riverdale did NOT accept that until the current coach took over. Is the talent spread out? Yes, but that does not explain the Freshman situation or playing so many both ways or even playing some this year to prepare for the future.

You keep harping on wheter I am a "TRUE FAN", well YES I am. It is a true fan or friend that will tell you the truth when it is not popular to do so.

ORidgeKat

"LOD, I think that numbers are down for most teams across the board. There are a few exceptions, but the 100 man roster 10-12 graders for the most part may be a thing of the past. I have full respect for the Riverdale program as they still lead in our series, 5 games to 2 and I have been to all of those games.

But I do have this one question. Not trying to say I know more than the coach. Just a question, why with all that talent at the skill positions, would Riverdale be married to that wing t offense? Everybody is all packed in there together, has coach A ever thought about spreading the field with all that talent and getting the ball to the playmakers out in space with room to operate."

It is a miracle we pass at ALL. Big part of the problem is we do not usually pass as Coach A keeps insisting the 'PURE' WingT can win it all. Unfortunatle he has never proved it in either 5 or 6A!

The best thing we have had in the last two years were the young men playing QB for us. The one last year won a couple of games for us purely on his guts and heart. This year we were blessed with a QB that throws better on the run than he does in a pocket and a young man named Davenport who played his heart out every game and never quit running. You might have noticed him Friday night.

We have the number of kids to have 100 VARSITY players on the sideline. Unfortunatly between the staff running them off and the fact they do not want to play for a perceived LOSER our numbers are down.

Wrong....Riverdale was not very good before Rankin. How was the dale before Rankin got there? You again failed to answer my question. You said Riverdale did not accept 3 or 4 wins before the current coach....before Rankin three or four losses would have been a great year. It was accepted at Riverdale. Rankin is what made you so spoiled. His system worked and the timing of his system made Riverdale what it was. He knew the system and his run at Riverdale was over so he moved on. You are still stuck in the past.

Wrong....Riverdale was not very good before Rankin. How was the dale before Rankin got there? You again failed to answer my question. You said Riverdale did not accept 3 or 4 wins before the current coach....before Rankin three or four losses would have been a great year. It was accepted at Riverdale. Rankin is what made you so spoiled. His system worked and the timing of his system made Riverdale what it was. He knew the system and his run at Riverdale was over so he moved on. You are still stuck in the past.

Yes they lost and when they did the Coach got REPLACED or was made a Principal!

We're down to about 60 varsity. It's a strange situation, we have 1400 students, but we have always had that number it hasn't changed. I would hope to get back to the 100 players days, but I just don't really see that happening for us. One would think that the post season success would help boost those numbers, but we'll have to wait and see.

Your quarterback was a great competitor, he's going to be very good for the next two years. That's kind of where we were with Zulliger last year. He was thrown in there as a soph. and I think it is paying off for us now. He replaced his brother beginning of last year who was a senior.

Good luck with the offseason, hopefully we can play again next year, maybe this time at Blankenship.

WoW! You are right only had 6A for two years. Only team who has won 6A ran spread. I guess you think everyone should run spread. What a dumb statement. rankin could have ran wing-t, spread, I, wishbone, single-wing, whatever. He would have won. The reason is that he had all the talent in Rutherford co. Coach A has scored a ton of points. Its not the offense. They give up a to many points. Off should not have to score 28 or more points to win every game. The talent is all over rutherford co. now, compared to when rankin was at riverdale. You better hope you hang on to Coach A and be thankful of the job he has done with the warriors since coach rankin has left. Just my opinion

LOD, I think that numbers are down for most teams across the board. There are a few exceptions, but the 100 man roster 10-12 graders for the most part may be a thing of the past. I have full respect for the Riverdale program as they still lead in our series, 5 games to 2 and I have been to all of those games.

But I do have this one question. Not trying to say I know more than the coach. Just a question, why with all that talent at the skill positions, would Riverdale be married to that wing t offense? Everybody is all packed in there together, has coach A ever thought about spreading the field with all that talent and getting the ball to the playmakers out in space with room to operate.

Blackman High School 103 Varsity and 70 Freshman. Riverdales days of 4 deep on the sidelines may have run its course. Unless they can come up with a unique set of classes that no one else offers opening up the door for some all out recruitin. :popcorneater:

Edited by mykidsdad