William Blount Football

blountfan

A bad situation from the start has now gotten worse. It is bad for the kid. Sounds like some adults have showed their clout (a$$).

The post about an apartment in the city to save paying tuition; that does not sound very good for all involved. "Non-reduced" apartments are still more for a year than 2200 bucks. I hope that is only a rumor. Somebody better throw some water on this!

Yeah, the grown up stuff will take care of itself. After tempers cool off, probably nothing will end up happening, and that will be a good thing for all involved. But kids that love to play the game only get three years to enjoy the game at the high school level, and you hate to see a kid lose one of those years.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the TSSAA cleared him seems unfair they back tracked UNLESS information given to them to begin with proved to be inaccurate.

And not saying the player is not a victim in this like many say. However did this not stem from disciplinary action while he was still at Maryville? Did he get disciplined, then get mad, and leave? I honestly do not know just curious, and it appears that is certainly a possibility. If that is the case he, or his parents, or both own some of the responsibility for initiating this whole thing right?

The post about an apartment in the city to save paying tuition; that does not sound very good for all involved. "Non-reduced" apartments are still more for a year than 2200 bucks.

Please permit me to clarify my reference to living in the city taking care of the tuition. I did not mean too imply that such a move would save money. Although, looking at my previous post it does leave that impression. What I meant to convey was that living in the city eliminates the potential of not being accepted into the school system.

I know most folks don't believe it, but Maryville is accepting less tuition students. The school system is in an overcrowded situation with its current facilities. They are simply having to be much more strict in accepting someone outside the city. Thus, if the family moved to the city, they save the tuition, yes, but more importantly it eliminates any question of his being allowed to attend Maryville High School.

Sorry about the confusion caused by my poorly worded previous post. I hope this clarifies things a little.

If the TSSAA cleared him seems unfair they back tracked UNLESS information given to them to begin with proved to be inaccurate.

And not saying the player is not a victim in this like many say. However did this not stem from disciplinary action while he was still at Maryville? Did he get disciplined, then get mad, and leave? I honestly do not know just curious, and it appears that is certainly a possibility. If that is the case he, or his parents, or both own some of the responsibility for initiating this whole thing right?

Well, it supposedly stemmed from the disciplinary action he received at Maryville. From what I understand, his punishment was a two game suspension. What does not make sense is that he left, went to WB, had to sit out one game waiting on tssaa to rule on his eligibility, then played against Central. So even if tssaa had not come back and ruled him ineligible, he only saved one game by making the switch. He was told up front that he could not step on the field until tssaa had cleared him, so he knew up front that the best case scenario was to save one game. Maybe he expected his playing time to be cut at Maryville or maybe he was mad at the coaches, but there had to be more behind the switch than just saving one game. You are correct that they have to own some of the responsibility for leaving, but none of us knows ALL the reasons behind leaving.

My first reaction when things come out in the paper was kudos to GQ for teaching these young men that when you make mistakes, there are consequences. I felt like the two game suspension was fair and then the kids could be back to playing after learning a valuable life lesson. Then he up and switches schools and it initially appeared that he was just trying to evade the suspension to be able to play. Then a whirlwind of things start circulating as to why he actually transferred and I got the feeling that the transfer was probably in the best interest of all the parties involved. Everyone seemed to be happy and moving forward until last week, when someone could not leave well enough alone.

My question to tssaa is how is it ok to go to Maryville and supposedly rent an apartment so the kid can go to Maryville, but it is not ok to go back to what has always been their home and go to the school that he was supposed to be at to start with? TSSAA is about to find out that the family never moved from their home to that apartment, and this where the real questions start. Lets say the discipline issue never occured, but tssaa uncovered the fact that this family had not moved into the apartment, what would tssaa have done? I don't think that they would have forced the kid to quit playing football, but rather I think they would have made him enroll at the school in which his actual home was zoned, or pay a tuition to attend Maryville. Well the kid went back to the school he was zoned for, so where is the issue?

Please permit me to clarify my reference to living in the city taking care of the tuition. I did not mean too imply that such a move would save money. Although, looking at my previous post it does leave that impression. What I meant to convey was that living in the city eliminates the potential of not being accepted into the school system.

I know most folks don't believe it, but Maryville is accepting less tuition students. The school system is in an overcrowded situation with its current facilities. They are simply having to be much more strict in accepting someone outside the city. Thus, if the family moved to the city, they save the tuition, yes, but more importantly it eliminates any question of his being allowed to attend Maryville High School.

Sorry about the confusion caused by my poorly worded previous post. I hope this clarifies things a little.

Thanks for the clarification hick. I had heard stories of potential tuition students being turned away, but I never really believed it. It is too crowded at the school and another school should be built, but that's another string. I hope we are strict enough to keep 3-4 spots open for some stud players.

Thanks for the clarification hick. I had heard stories of potential tuition students being turned away, but I never really believed it. It is too crowded at the school and another school should be built, but that's another string. I hope we are strict enough to keep 3-4 spots open for some stud players.

Obviously Strongx- We must maintain diversity and not discriminate against anyone who might not be able to score above 30 on the ACT. Every stud ball player deserves the opportunity for an excellent education.

Well, it supposedly stemmed from the disciplinary action he received at Maryville. From what I understand, his punishment was a two game suspension. What does not make sense is that he left, went to WB, had to sit out one game waiting on tssaa to rule on his eligibility, then played against Central. So even if tssaa had not come back and ruled him ineligible, he only saved one game by making the switch. He was told up front that he could not step on the field until tssaa had cleared him, so he knew up front that the best case scenario was to save one game. Maybe he expected his playing time to be cut at Maryville or maybe he was mad at the coaches, but there had to be more behind the switch than just saving one game. You are correct that they have to own some of the responsibility for leaving, but none of us knows ALL the reasons behind leaving.

My first reaction when things come out in the paper was kudos to GQ for teaching these young men that when you make mistakes, there are consequences. I felt like the two game suspension was fair and then the kids could be back to playing after learning a valuable life lesson. Then he up and switches schools and it initially appeared that he was just trying to evade the suspension to be able to play. Then a whirlwind of things start circulating as to why he actually transferred and I got the feeling that the transfer was probably in the best interest of all the parties involved. Everyone seemed to be happy and moving forward until last week, when someone could not leave well enough alone.

My question to tssaa is how is it ok to go to Maryville and supposedly rent an apartment so the kid can go to Maryville, but it is not ok to go back to what has always been their home and go to the school that he was supposed to be at to start with? TSSAA is about to find out that the family never moved from their home to that apartment, and this where the real questions start. Lets say the discipline issue never occured, but tssaa uncovered the fact that this family had not moved into the apartment, what would tssaa have done? I don't think that they would have forced the kid to quit playing football, but rather I think they would have made him enroll at the school in which his actual home was zoned, or pay a tuition to attend Maryville. Well the kid went back to the school he was zoned for, so where is the issue?

I wasn't saying he got mad and left to "save games" from a suspension, just that he got disciplined, then mad, then left and that seems to be the case.

As far as an apartment, and the "whirlwind of things circulating" I'll just wait to see how that plays out.

Questions on eligibility:

1) If I live in the county and pay tuition (@ MHS) until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move down the street for him to be eligible for the school I live 3/4 of a mile from?

2) If I live in the county until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the county school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move out of the city for him to be eligible for the county school?

3) I won't even ask about Alcoa, where it seems like everyone is eligible after a transfer!

1) If I live in the county and pay tuition (@ MHS) until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move down the street for him to be eligible for the school I live 3/4 of a mile from?

2) If I live in the county until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the county school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move out of the city for him to be eligible for the county school?

3) I won't even ask about Alcoa, where it seems like everyone is eligible after a transfer!

Typo in my previous post. Let me try again:

2) If I live in the city until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the county school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move out of the city for him to be eligible for the county school?

Typo in my previous post. Let me try again:

2) If I live in the city until my kid is a junior in high school (he did play jv football), can he then transfer the next school year to the county school he is actually zoned for (WBHS) and be immediately eligible? Does the jv or varsity participation make a difference? Would I have to move out of the city for him to be eligible for the county school?

Oh, the problems "recruited football" teams can cause.

"Community" teams seldom have sligbility problems --- theirs is usually over acedemics.