Springfield Yellow Jackets vs Henry County Patroits

TheCommissioner

Us "Henrylanders" will do whatever it takes to win. Even if it does make us look like a bunch of pansies.

I appreciate your honesty. I guess i would do the same thing but i would not feel real good about it as is not good for the game (purposely committing a penalty to get an advantage). Taking a delay of game in order to set up a punt, and PI to prevent an obvious Touchdown are the only quality reasons to commit a penalty imo.

Good luck tonight to both teams! I hope the Jackets prove themselves tonight a worthy opponent. Reading on here by many Patriot post we should not even show up to the game. However, last I checked the game is played for 48 minutes before you can say a score. Granted this is a much improved Patriot team, but from what I saw from Beech last night on TV, I still believe that the Jackets have played higher quality teams up to this point. May be the difference in the outcome of tonights contest!

Edited by OldJacketFan

Just a few facts to think about:

- Springfield defends better against teams that run right at them

- Springfield has trouble w/ spread pass oriented types of offenses

- HC can be thrown on, specifically certain routes SP had success on last year

- Springfields speed/quickness gave HC trouble last year

- HC can be beaton if you get up on them forcing them to pass

- None of this matters at all if SP has more than 2 turnovers or gets stupid penalties 80% of the time they make big plays.

These teams are very similar to how they were a year ago persnel wise as both teams have the majority of their players back. The difference is HC has been clicking much better on both sides of the ball than SP. I have to say that 1 contributing factor is SP's QB from last year is 1 of the few they lost to graduation leaving them w/ a soph starting QB. The kid has done a decent job and has improved from week to week so hopefully he continues to do just that. The biggest problem has been the defense and that is largely b/c of the offenses they have been against are not great match ups. They have not been able to get pressure on QBs in passing situations.

This game could go several ways but I know SP wants to win this game very badly and should show up and play as such. This game will be closer than most think IMO. I am looking foward to it and will see everybody there.....

Just a few facts to think about:

- Springfield defends better against teams that run right at them

- Springfield has trouble w/ spread pass oriented types of offenses

- HC can be thrown on, specifically certain routes SP had success on last year

- Springfields speed/quickness gave HC trouble last year

- HC can be beaton if you get up on them forcing them to pass

- None of this matters at all if SP has more than 2 turnovers or gets stupid penalties 80% of the time they make big plays.

These teams are very similar to how they were a year ago persnel wise as both teams have the majority of their players back. The difference is HC has been clicking much better on both sides of the ball than SP. I have to say that 1 contributing factor is SP's QB from last year is 1 of the few they lost to graduation leaving them w/ a soph starting QB. The kid has done a decent job and has improved from week to week so hopefully he continues to do just that. The biggest problem has been the defense and that is largely b/c of the offenses they have been against are not great match ups. They have not been able to get pressure on QBs in passing situations.

This game could go several ways but I know SP wants to win this game very badly and should show up and play as such. This game will be closer than most think IMO. I am looking foward to it and will see everybody there.....

I agree with point #3 and point #5.

Springfield day is here at last!!!! By late morning the grills will be fired and the meat smoking.Some early arrivers will be there to enjoy the company and the beautiful weather. we hope some Springfield fans will join us. If you travel through Clarksville coming( as I think you should ) observe the posted speed limits as you come through Dover:: they are pretty picky over there.

GO BIG RED

Thanks for the heads up on Dover! Wish I could leave early, but can't due to work. Should be an excellent night for football. Good luck to HC, but I hope the Jackets can pull it out! Let's all hope the Vols can chomp the Gators tomorrow!!!

I appreciate your honesty. I guess i would do the same thing but i would not feel real good about it as is not good for the game (purposely committing a penalty to get an advantage). Taking a delay of game in order to set up a punt, and PI to prevent an obvious Touchdown are the only quality reasons to commit a penalty imo.

HC did nothing illegal last year in that game. The rule book allows it and it is actually a smart move by the coaches to secure victory. There is no guarantee Springfield would've scored and taken the lead even without the penalties. There is no difference in PI to prevent your opponent from scoring than what HC did last year. PI in that situation is in your own words "(purposely committing a penalty to get an advantage)".

Edited by SEC1rules

HC did nothing illegal last year in that game. The rule book allows it and it is actually a smart move by the coaches to secure victory. There is no guarantee Springfield would've scored and taken the lead even without the penalties. There is no difference in PI to prevent your opponent from scoring than what HC did last year. PI in that situation is in your own words "(purposely committing a penalty to get an advantage)".

I missed were anyone said HC did something illegal last year in that game. I feel the same way about this as I do committing fouls or trying to get fouled in basketball; its more so an exploitation of the rules than it is strategy and that takes away from the game IMO. This is not a dig on the coach for doing it b/c I am sure a lot of coaches would do the same in that situation. I personally would not do it but so what, we all have our lines we would/not cross.....

I missed were anyone said HC did something illegal last year in that game. I feel the same way about this as I do committing fouls or trying to get fouled in basketball; its more so an exploitation of the rules than it is strategy and that takes away from the game IMO. This is not a dig on the coach for doing it b/c I am sure a lot of coaches would do the same in that situation. I personally would not do it but so what, we all have our lines we would/not cross.....

That was a statement not an accusation at anyone saying it was illegal. It's easy to for you being a Springfield fan to say you wouldn't do it from the stands. However, I bet you would consider it very strongly if your job, playoff seeding, or district standing were on the line. Do you not foul or try to draw fouls when you play basketball? Like Herm Edwards says "you play to win the game" and I have no problems with anything anyone does as long as it is within the rules. I agree the rule needs to be modified but at this point it is what it is.