( 1A )Sept 12 Poll

tricklician

Any idea what Marion's and Whitwell's are?

Marion County High (i.e. Jasper) has played for AA, 2a and 3a since 1982. They have gold and silver balls from those. Whitwell has been mostly A, and 1a but they have played several years in 2a because there enrollment has had them at the classification boundary. Neither Marion or Whitwell has had the J.H. in the building with the H.S. since the 1970s.

Edited by rlh

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So SP is about the 5th smallest public school in Tennessee with a football program bet yet they have a better chance of getting talent? Your logic is flawed and my meter is pegged. The South Pittsburg has a long tradition. For example the 1999 state championship team had several players on it whose dads played on the 1969 state championship team.

bsmeter.gif

How is my logic flawed? The probability of having good athletes rises with the size of a population. I'm not making excuses or trying to say SP should be in a separate class, just stating facts.

How is my logic flawed? The probability of having good athletes rises with the size of a population. I'm not making excuses or trying to say SP should be in a separate class, just stating facts.

Your logic is flawed because you are basing your numbers on the population of Marion County and not South Pittsburg and its school district which isn't that big and the 2000 census listed the population of SP under 3300 people with about 861 families. By your logic, if SP had more students to pull athletes from, they would be a larger school. You have to be a hs student with suitable grades to play on a TSSAA sanctioned team.

All these enrollment numbers don't matter if you're in the same class.

It doesn't matter whether you have 200 or 350, play with what you got.

I agree with you and that is what we have always done. Some people apparently think we have some secrete stash of students hidden somewhere. :roflol:

SP is one heck of team...i know that this will be my last yr lookin forward to a good team in Football, because we lose alot in both sports...but i guess if we wanna be the best we gotta beat the best...and the South Pittsburgh Pirates are their best football team in the state...and i hope we meet in Cookeville but i know how it is to draw in a tough semi-final game and i hope it wont be SP that we face in the semi's...id rather it be Wayne Co. or Jo Byrns but i hope SP goes undefeated which im sure they will

SP is one heck of team...i know that this will be my last yr lookin forward to a good team in Football, because we lose alot in both sports...but i guess if we wanna be the best we gotta beat the best...and the South Pittsburgh Pirates are their best football team in the state...and i hope we meet in Cookeville but i know how it is to draw in a tough semi-final game and i hope it wont be SP that we face in the semi's...id rather it be Wayne Co. or Jo Byrns but i hope SP goes undefeated which im sure they will

There is still a lot of football to go. SP still has to make it like everyone else. As far as going undefeated, they have a very tough schedule coming up. It is possible but they could end up with 1 or a couple of losses like last year, maybe even 3.

There is still a lot of football to go. SP still has to make it like everyone else. As far as going undefeated, they have a very tough schedule coming up. It is possible but they could end up with 1 or a couple of losses like last year, maybe even 3.

Signal Mountain, Boyd Buchanon, and Grace Christian seem to be the toughest left...all on the road

Your logic is flawed because you are basing your numbers on the population of Marion County and not South Pittsburg and its school district which isn't that big and the 2000 census listed the population of SP under 3300 people with about 861 families. By your logic, if SP had more students to pull athletes from, they would be a larger school. You have to be a hs student with suitable grades to play on a TSSAA sanctioned team.

I'm basing my numbers on Marion County because I compared Perry Co, Wayne Co, and Marion Co. I can compare South Pitt to Waynesboro and Linden if you want and I assure you South Pitt is larger in population. So from what you're saying, all of South Pitt's students live within the SP city limits?

I would guess that 95% of the students live within the city limits. We have some students from Kimball. Kimball is the town that connects South Pittsburg and Jasper. It is about 4 miles from the school. I am confident that 99% of the students at South Pittsburg High School live within a 10 mile radius of school. Some of these "observations" are kinda silly to be honest. We have a VERY small school and have to play with what we got. To be brutally honest, we have lost alot of athletes over the years to Marion County-Jasper.

I would guess that 95% of the students live within the city limits. We have some students from Kimball. Kimball is the town that connects South Pittsburg and Jasper. It is about 4 miles from the school. I am confident that 99% of the students at South Pittsburg High School live within a 10 mile radius of school. Some of these "observations" are kinda silly to be honest. We have a VERY small school and have to play with what we got. To be brutally honest, we have lost alot of athletes over the years to Marion County-Jasper.

Let me ask you a question. Why does Grider not sign a contract with these boys like they do in the SEC so they can not go to another school like Marion County and play ball? I garuntee you that would keep them their. You think im joking but im not.

Edited by Roy Dillard