Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Of course they will appeal, what else can they do to show they think it was a mistake and how else can they try and salvage something for the rest of the players involved,if they did'nt that would tell me they knew they were guilty from the get go and don't care about the rest of the players or the rest of the season. Don't see how they can win but they still have to try.

We did tell them about his transfer and we completed the paperwork properly. That's our story and I'm sticking to it, because I believe it is true. You will come around and see the light. Even the local sports talk guys here in Chattanooga saw the light and think we might just be right.

Quit crying " THE MIGHTY DO NO WRONG SM EAGLES " Cheated and got caught now they need to man up and pay for it !! but no as expected they do the C------ S--- thing and appeal !! Speaks volumes about the true color of the MIGHTY DO NO WRONG SM EAGLES.

Found this comment to secure my belief that HCDE is supporting or decision. If they didn't he would have simply said they don't get involved. But he said we're all for it. He also said they understand the TSSAA's side and we do too, we just believe they are not right, but we understand it.

"Hamilton County Schools Deputy Superintendent Lee McDade was still principal at Lookout Valley when Signal's request was approved by the HCDE in June. He has been kept apprised of Signal Mountain's decision-making process.

"They told us this morning they were going to appeal, and we're all for it although we understand the TSSAA's side," McDade said. "We do not get involved in TSSAA appeals because individual schools do that.""

No dog in this race, but do find it odd that TSSAA hasn't taken any apparent responsibility in this whole thing. When the paperwork was filed did they not verify the information submitted?

Considering the volume of eligibility forms submitted, since the box was checked that indicated he lived in SM zone, I doubt they would have verified it. If they had checked no, an inquiry would have been made into the zoning of his address.

It looks like if this is overturned like Signal Mountain thinks it will be, then all any football player has to do (at any failing school), even if they compete at their resident zoned school in the spring and things are not looking too good for that team, is file one of those fancy NCLB HCDE hardships, submit a different address than they started with and go play for Signal Mountain in the fall.

No dog in this race, but do find it odd that TSSAA hasn't taken any apparent responsibility in this whole thing. When the paperwork was filed did they not verify the information submitted?

The TSSAA assumes that the administrator that inputs the information knows the rules because that is the administrator's responsibility. If there are no red flags ("no" clicks) then they have to assume that everything is correct. Only when it is brought to their attention do they go back to verify.

What's going to be interesting with this appeal is if we learn when the TSSAA decided to investigate. Since they were told about the situation on the 22nd (Thursday) at an administrator's meeting in Chattanooga, I doubt that Childress man decided to formally investigate on that date. He probably returned to Nashville, may or may not have gone into the office on the 23rd and enjoyed his weekend. Sometime early the following week, he could have met with Gene Menees and others to decide if there was enough smoke to hunt the fire. During this time, they could have been pulling the information, checking the HCDE website for zones and making a final decision to investigate. Hey, It could have happened this way.

Should it have taken 2 weeks for them to decide they were going to investigate? Sounds unreasonable, but I don't know their schedule or their protocol when they receive requests for investigation. I'm sure that they receive numerous complaints and accusations throughout the year that never make it to the point of formal investigation. How mad would the Eagle faithful have been if that Childress man had told McCullough on the 22nd that accusations had been made, SMMHS sat the kid in question and then 2 weeks later (the obvious time frame to determine if they are investigating or not) the TSSAA come back and said, nah.. we don't have enough smoke here? All of these SMMHS posters would be on here talking about how the TSSAA is "after" SMMHS, how the TSSAA is unfair, how the TSSAA just wanted to keep SMMHS out of the playoffs, how that Childress man has a hardon for SMMHS, how... Oh wait, they are already saying all of that! :roflolk: I guess for some of them the response was going to be the same no matter what the outcome! :thumb:

Edited by PurpleGrad

It seems that SM's arguement is that since the HCDE granted this hardship exception, that the SM territory was redefined. The TSSAA rules do state "as defined by the local BOE",, but one exception does not redefine the territory. As a few have said,, a simple phone call explaining the situation and asking whether to check yes or no, would have avoided this entire episode.

Charlie thinks they should get the 2 games back... SM should have been informed of the issue before the 23rd if the TSSAA had intention to investigate from the info gven on the 22nd.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

Just read an article where a guy in England hitched a ride on a bus to finish 3rd in a marathon. He was eventually found out and disqualified. But what’s funny is what Steve Cram (the event director) had to say. “Mr. Sloan made a mistake and has apologized to us for the confusion it has caused.†I like the “made a mistake†part, sounds familiar doesn’t it?