Best Football Team of All Time in TN

JSamson7

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it was 1991 OR Wildcats

2010 Alcoa Tornadoes and probably 1990 Lincoln County.

Out of the teams I've followed and seen, I would say the 1972 Tennessee High team, or the 1995 Brentwood Academy team. The Tennessee High team were national champions and BA was the most complete team I've ever seen. The BA team had the most dominating defense this state has seen. The staring defense was loaded with college players. Here is their lineup and college they played at:

DE Air Force

DT MTSU

NG nowhere

DT Memphis

DE Tennessee

LB Nebraska

LB Georgia Military ( Tito Lee. The best player on the team, but didn't qualify)

CB Virginia Tech

CB Tennessee

SS Vanderbilt

FS Tennessee

Most of these guys played on offense too. An offense that had another receiver that went to Ole Miss and a tackle that went to Texas.

Edited by EHSfan04

Trousdale with 8 state championships (1922, 1972, 1990, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2005 and 2008) only a few other teams can claim more state football titles in Tennessee than Trousdale county. The championship teams in 1990, 1997, 2005 and 2008 all went undefeated. The fact that they have made the playoffs every year since 1988 is just another testament to the program's consistency. Since 1990 the Trousdale County Yellow Jackets have either won the championship in 1A or lost to the eventual champion 18 out of the 21 seasons.

The 1997 undefeated championship team should be considered one of the best teams in Tennessee high school football history. That team still holds the record for points scored in a season with 733 points through 15 games. The biggest stat from that season is the fact that they outscored their opponents 733-63. That means that over the course of the season they only allowed an average of 4 points a game while scoring nearly 50 points a game! The 1997 Trousdale County Yellow Jackets capped off a great season with a 45-0 win in the state championship against Clarksville Academy.

You cannot have a great program without great coaching and the Trousdale County Yellow Jackets have had some of the best coaches throughout the years. The Satterfield family has become synonymous with coaching in middle Tennessee. Clint Satterfield will likely be remembered as one of the greatest coaches in 1A and Tennessee high school football in general. In 24 years of coaching at Trousdale County coach Clint Satterfield amassed 260 wins and 5 1A Tennessee football championships.

Trousdale with 8 state championships (1922, 1972, 1990, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2005 and 2008) only a few other teams can claim more state football titles in Tennessee than Trousdale county. The championship teams in 1990, 1997, 2005 and 2008 all went undefeated. The fact that they have made the playoffs every year since 1988 is just another testament to the program's consistency. Since 1990 the Trousdale County Yellow Jackets have either won the championship in 1A or lost to the eventual champion 18 out of the 21 seasons.

The 1997 undefeated championship team should be considered one of the best teams in Tennessee high school football history. That team still holds the record for points scored in a season with 733 points through 15 games. The biggest stat from that season is the fact that they outscored their opponents 733-63. That means that over the course of the season they only allowed an average of 4 points a game while scoring nearly 50 points a game! The 1997 Trousdale County Yellow Jackets capped off a great season with a 45-0 win in the state championship against Clarksville Academy.

You cannot have a great program without great coaching and the Trousdale County Yellow Jackets have had some of the best coaches throughout the years. The Satterfield family has become synonymous with coaching in middle Tennessee. Clint Satterfield will likely be remembered as one of the greatest coaches in 1A and Tennessee high school football in general. In 24 years of coaching at Trousdale County coach Clint Satterfield amassed 260 wins and 5 1A Tennessee football championships.

Trousdale County has had some impressive years, but mentioning them amongst the best teams ever is a farce. They would get squashed by a number of other great teams if they weren't playing in the lowest classification in the state. For that matter, Any teams in 1A or 2A shouldn't even be mentioned. Does that take away from their success, no... However, lumping them in with "best teams" all time is ridiculous.

I agree that Trousdale has a great Football tradition but they would not be able to compete with the Bigger schools. Also they do not hold the all time points scored in a single season. That belongs to the 2010 Greeneville Greene Devils who scored 748 points and only giving up 136 (most coming way after the starters were taken out) and only giving up 31 points during their 5 play-off games

Its simple, people can say what is the best team in each classification, keeping in mind the classifications have changed multiple times because TSSAA doesn't know what they are doing, so people can kind of lump 1A and 2A together, 3A and 4A together, and 5A and 6A together. Its pretty easy...Trousdale is the greatest small school program...Alcoa is the greatest middle sized program....and Maryvile/Riverdale are the best big school programs. Don't bring Brentwood Academy or any other private school into the discussion...use a different forum for those schools. Now the real question is...what single team in each of those three sub-groups was better than any mentioned??? Like is there a South Pitt team that would beat the 1997 Trousdale team???

Its simple, people can say what is the best team in each classification, keeping in mind the classifications have changed multiple times because TSSAA doesn't know what they are doing, so people can kind of lump 1A and 2A together, 3A and 4A together, and 5A and 6A together. Its pretty easy...Trousdale is the greatest small school program...Alcoa is the greatest middle sized program....and Maryvile/Riverdale are the best big school programs. Don't bring Brentwood Academy or any other private school into the discussion...use a different forum for those schools. Now the real question is...what single team in each of those three sub-groups was better than any mentioned??? Like is there a South Pitt team that would beat the 1997 Trousdale team???

Riverdale? They have only been a school since the 70's...i dont know if i would put them as a top program all time in the higher class...just me

Cleveland's 1993 team was awesome. I remember that 70-28 beatdown. I went to Nashville and watched Cleveland beat Brentwood Academy 26-21. Best game I ever seen.

I will tell you a team that had a great shot of being an all time juggernaught. The 2002 Maryville Rebel team. Had TJ Brock played at Maryville his senior year and Alex Rouse not got hurt that team would have been unreal. Plus Maryville had other injuries that would have killed and destroyed most teams. It was just a small nuisance for Maryville that year. Maryville still went 15-0 and won state that year. That is why in my opinion the 2002 Maryville team is Maryville's best ever.

Cleveland's 1993 team was awesome. I remember that 70-28 beatdown. I went to Nashville and watched Cleveland beat Brentwood Academy 26-21. Best game I ever seen.

I will tell you a team that had a great shot of being an all time juggernaught. The 2002 Maryville Rebel team. Had TJ Brock played at Maryville his senior year and Alex Rouse not got hurt that team would have been unreal. Plus Maryville had other injuries that would have killed and destroyed most teams. It was just a small nuisance for Maryville that year. Maryville still went 15-0 and won state that year. That is why in my opinion the 2002 Maryville team is Maryville's best ever.

They were good, but the 1998 team is definitely the best hands down.