Best Football Team of All Time in TN

JSamson7

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that I didn't get a chance to see so many of the teams mentioned in this thread. I would've gotten to play against '95 Brentwood Academy had we not lost in the quarterfinals to MBA that year (although it sounds like it wouldn't have been pretty lol). The best one I saw in person was the '97 Pearl-Cohn team. I was a freshman at Murray State at the time and my roommate was from Nashville. His younger brother actually played and started on that P-C team, so I rode down with him to catch a couple of their games that.

Also, this is the homer in me talking, but I've gotta at least mention my 2011 Patriots.

2011 Henry County won all but 2 of their games by 3+ touchdowns. One was a 10 point quarterfinal win over Memphis Ridgeway (a game we actually led 21-0 before an errant kickoff in the 3rd quarter gave Ridgeway some momentum, leading to a 24-14 final score), and the other was a 3 point win in the championship game against a very tough, undefeated Powell team that featured Dyshawn Mobley.

HC outscored their opponents 616-163 and surrendered more than 14 points only one time all season (17 against Beech in week 1). The average score of our games that year was 41-10, and most of the points we allowed came against our backups after the games were well in hand. We basically shut down a sophomore Jalen Hurd, a junior Jalen-Reeves Maybin (twice), and the senior duo of Jaylen Walton and Sheldon Dawson from Ridgeway (both went on to play in the SEC).

We only had one major Division 1 signee (Andrew Jelks- Vanderbilt), but we also had an additional 12 seniors from that team sign scholarships with various schools in the region.

Regular Season:

Liberty- W 37-0

Beech- W 37-17

Kenwood- W 45-14

Northwest- W 47-0

Springfield- W 49-13

West Creek- W 42-6

Northeast- W 63-14

Clarksville- W 56-8

Dickson Co.- W 38-14

Rossview- W 49-14

Playoffs:

Munford- W 42-7

Northeast- W 30-7

Ridgeway- W 24-14

Hendersonville- W 40-14

Powell- W 17-14

Was that the same cleveland team that beat murvil like 78-12? I saw that game and they were awesome!

I would have to vote for Murvil's 2009 team. If it wasn't for coaching, they would have won it all that year.

How could I have missed this oldie but goodie .... Strongx thinks Maryville's coaching is holding them back .... lol

'JSamson7' timestamp='1328229747' post='2770578']

Sorry, but that year they would have gotten hammered by either Melrose, Riverdale, Pearl Cohn, or Maryville. Especially Pearl, that team would have destroyed Trousdale. John Henderson, Reggie Ridley, Santonio Beard, etc, etc, etc... It would have been so bad they would have been forced to look at insituting the mercy rule much almost a decade sooner than they did... Wouldn't be surprised if they hung 100 on them

I have to agree with the '97 Pearl-Cohn team..Henderson Ridley and company on D !! man oh man

My list would be (in chronological order):

1988 BA

1990 Lincoln County

1991 Oak Ridge

1992 Gallatin

1993 Cleveland

1994 Riverdale

1995 BA

1999 MBA

2005 Maryville

2010 Maryville

2011 Maryville

2012 Ensworth

The 1999 15-0 3A State Champs Milan team would have given the MBA team that year a run for their money!!!

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

I have to put a vote in for the 1979 Oak Ridge Wildcats, finished 15-0 and ranked #3 in the nation at the end of the year. 1991 Oak Ridge team was also awesome...And Sunbright? Cmon dude lol

That was the 1980 team. '79 was 13-1, losing to DB during the regular season. Also, we only played 4 playoff games in those days, so we were 14-0 in '80. Didn't lose a gain between DB in 1979 and Farragut in 1981.

Edited by 82Wildcat68

The 2009 season was one of George Quarles greatest coaching jobs ever. Alcoa killed and destroyed Maryville that year 41-24 in a game nowhere near as close as the score indicated. I thought after that game Maryville would go 6-4 or 5-5. The 2009 team's starters were mostly sophomores.

Apparently many of you are young. I've seen many of the great teams mentioned throughout this thread over the last 4 decades - but not all of them. In my opinion, the 1971 and 1972 Tennessee High (Bristol) teams were the best I've seen.

No doubt the '71 team was impressive. 12-0 AAA state champs. Outscored their opponents 469-93. However, I would have liked to have seen them play Milan that year. Milan was 12-0 AA state champs. Outscored their opponents 432-42. Would have been a great game!!!