Maryville vs. Riverdale

Red Rebels

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun game to watch for 2 quarters if you are from Middle Tn. Things got out of hand pretty quickly after half time. I am beating that some people got back to thier seats from the bathroom line and had to ask what the heck just happened. I guess that all of us Middle Tn folks would like to think it would have been a better game if the starting QB was playing but not sure it really would have mattered. The result would still have been a butt kicking. Been a good week of talks on this thread and both teams represented thier schools and communities well. No need to start taking jabs now about things that don't really matter. Middle Tn takes a knee when someone gets hurt and east does not so enough about that. The hit on the kid happened in front of me and was not dirty just cleaned his plow so enough about that. Bands play during snaps and are part of the game. Had several arguements about this in the past because I am old school and don't like it but I guess it is part of high school football now so we just have to deal with it so enough about that. This new rivalry is what football should be about so don't get off track now. Team played thier hearts out and respectful on both sides. Coaches and fans were great on both sides. If there is anything to make you scratch your head it would be the field. Not the stadium as I kind of like the being so close part but the playing surface. It did not effect the result of the game but I would have thought a program with as much success as yours would have a better field. Good luck next week and hope to see one of the Rutherford county teams play you again next year.

Thanks for the classy remarks diggerdog. No doubt about it - the field condition is pitiful. I think there must be an arrangement somewhere between someone in Maryville's administration and his/her cousin that maintains the field. Not sure why the field seems to never get better after all the money that is put into football at Maryville. That field is a joke but the only ones that don't see it are the people defending it.

Thanks for the classy remarks diggerdog. No doubt about it - the field condition is pitiful. I think there must be an arrangement somewhere between someone in Maryville's administration and his/her cousin that maintains the field. Not sure why the field seems to never get better after all the money that is put into football at Maryville. That field is a joke but the only ones that don't see it are the people defending it.

Maryville could play in a mud pit and still whip who ever they are playing! Best to leave well enough alone! LOL! :thumb:

Some of the ones defending it are , well part of the problem. School board members and others who seem to think, from what I have gleaned , that the field and everything else is theirs. Go figure.

The field condition has been a topic for discussion this year for the first time in many years. This summer, I noticed that it was not as plush as it normally is in late July. As the season progressed, it proved to be one of the worst fields in many years. It progressively got worst week by week. I think it was the result of not maturing during June, July, and August. (maybe not enough fertilizer, water, I don't know). Joe Robinette, who has worked on UT fields, has always had a great turf for our team. This year was the exception. I may be old school, but one bad season for the field is not a reason for artificial turf.

I'd like to see a replay of the hit from #44 that resulted in a penalty. By their booing, I don't think the RD fans saw what I saw. Maybe they were just booing at the flag.

IMO, I don't think the flag was for the big hit, it was clean. I think the flag was for one of Riverdale players blocking #29 for Maryville in the back. It was very close to where the big hit took place and I think everyone assumed that the flag was for the big hit.

I'd like to see a replay of the hit from #44 that resulted in a penalty. By their booing, I don't think the RD fans saw what I saw. Maybe they were just booing at the flag.

I saw the hit Red Rebels, I was not going to mention what else I saw but since the "kneeling on a knee issue" I will air my concern. After this hit #44 came off the field, as he appoared the sideline a section of the Riverdale fans stood to cheer this young man IMO for the hit... :unsure: .... oh well may I miss understood the intent of the cheering and clapping. :roll: we had a player laying on the field after this play

Edited by Frinitlites

The field condition has been a topic for discussion this year for the first time in many years. This summer, I noticed that it was not as plush as it normally is in late July. As the season progressed, it proved to be one of the worst fields in many years. It progressively got worst week by week. I think it was the result of not maturing during June, July, and August. (maybe not enough fertilizer, water, I don't know). Joe Robinette, who has worked on UT fields, has always had a great turf for our team. This year was the exception. I may be old school, but one bad season for the field is not a reason for artificial turf.

I agree...Our kids and opponents deserve a bettur playing surface...After walking on the field it seems to me there is very little sand in the center and the topsoil/clay just holds the moisture with no drainage because of the lack of sand.....But I have heard rumors of the field being addressed after the season..Let's all hope thats true and would be glad to donate to such a cause...

Also I noticed UT's field looked subpar against Vandy.....

Where have you gone Bobby Campbell and Dr. Tom Samples????..... :unsure:

I'm with you '82...Nothing better than a well maintained 419 bermuda playing surface... :thumb:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Maryville could play in a mud pit and still whip who ever they are playing! Best to leave well enough alone! LOL! :thumb:

That is kind of my point warhawks. Not that it matters to any of us because we Middle Tn folks only play on it one time per year if we are lucky. I would have thought that a program as good as thiers deserved to play on a better home field each week. When you win as many state championships as they have in any sport or school I would expect the facilites to be a reflection of that success. Stadium is pretty nice and I like the whole Black Hole thing. Field not so much. Just my opinion which in the big scheme of things means nothing.