Rankin going to Catholic?

falconvol

I never said that you do know what he is paid you just said that it would be hard to lure him away because money talks. All I was saying is that I was amazed that a Greeneville would even admit this.

I never admitted anything, nor do I know anything. All I know is that Greeneville obviously has the resources to have great facilities (including the school and field) and great equipment. It’s not like Alcoa would be trying to get him from a school with no fan support and horrible facilities.

Ive heard different rumors about Rankin leaving but nothing official. However I think most Alcoa people know, unless the higher ups pull the rug from under him, Coach Nix is the next head coach whenever Rankin leaves.

Rankin is a great coach and has done a lot for Alcoa, But frankly, if I were an Alcoa fan or had a kid that played there, I would get a little sick and tired of this coming up every year. Rankin is part of the reason that it comes up, he wants it to come up every year, I don't think he wants Alcoa to feel assured of anything when it comes to him, because that is not what benefits him. IMO, he has dropped his name in the hat for a job or two over the last few years that he really didn't want, he just wanted Alcoa to think he wanted it. This next line is purely my opinion, but I think some of the Alcoa faithful are to the point that they are like..."if you want to be here great, we love having you as our coach, but if this is not where you want to be, then good bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out". Again, just my opinion.

Rankin is a great coach and has done a lot for Alcoa, But frankly, if I were an Alcoa fan or had a kid that played there, I would get a little sick and tired of this coming up every year. Rankin is part of the reason that it comes up, he wants it to come up every year, I don't think he wants Alcoa to feel assured of anything when it comes to him, because that is not what benefits him. IMO, he has dropped his name in the hat for a job or two over the last few years that he really didn't want, he just wanted Alcoa to think he wanted it. This next line is purely my opinion, but I think some of the Alcoa faithful are to the point that they are like..."if you want to be here great, we love having you as our coach, but if this is not where you want to be, then good bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out". Again, just my opinion.

Alcoa has also come accustom to not having a coach hang around for very long too. You gotta remember that. We went from Coach Dalton to Coach Phelps to Coach Ironside to Coach Meadows back to Coach Dalton to Coach Reid to Coach Rankin in a span of about 15 years. To a lot of schools that not much but when you consider Alcoa has racked up 9 state titles under those coaches...Its quite a feat. Most schools struggle after coaching changes. There's also a lot of alumni and former players that dont feel they should be committed to the staff at the moment because it wasnt "their" staff. I myself am guilty of it among many others. The only ties I have to the current staff is Coach Adams, none of the others were there 10 years ago so part of you says "Eh, if they go they go...we'll be fine"...At the same time I really think/wish Alcoa would find a "hometown" type guy that doesnt have a high probability to just up and run off to Georgia or a Private School. We havent had an "Alcoa guy" since Coach Phelps. I think thats one reason so many people are supportive with the possibility of Coach Nix taking over if/when the time comes. Nix, as far as I know, is a local guy and loves the area. Plus the intensity he shows on the sidelines is second to none. Seriously, I know a lot of people cant see it from the visitors side of the field but if you're ever on the home side you know what Im talking about. Coach Dalton, God rest his soul, said it best in 2001 that Alcoa needs stability at the head coaching position. 10 years later we're still needing it. If its Rankin then so be it, it its Nix thats fine too but we need someone there thats going to be there 10-15 years later and continue to improve the program.

Just my opinion....I feel like Paul Harvey.

He is the defensive coordinator right? If so, who will they get to call the offense?

Yes, he's been the DC since I believe Reid was coach. As for who would call the offense...Personally Id like to see Coach Henry stay behind and be an Offense Coord. He usually does the calls in the JV/Freshmen games and as a very balanced offensive mind. However, Henry is also a "Rankin guy" and I would imagine if/when Rankin does leave that Henry would probably follow him.

Edited by GoddardField

Alcoa has also come accustom to not having a coach hang around for very long too. You gotta remember that. We went from Coach Dalton to Coach Phelps to Coach Ironside to Coach Meadows back to Coach Dalton to Coach Reid to Coach Rankin in a span of about 15 years. To a lot of schools that not much but when you consider Alcoa has racked up 9 state titles under those coaches...Its quite a feat. Most schools struggle after coaching changes. There's also a lot of alumni and former players that dont feel they should be committed to the staff at the moment because it wasnt "their" staff. I myself am guilty of it among many others. The only ties I have to the current staff is Coach Adams, none of the others were there 10 years ago so part of you says "Eh, if they go they go...we'll be fine"...At the same time I really think/wish Alcoa would find a "hometown" type guy that doesnt have a high probability to just up and run off to Georgia or a Private School. We havent had an "Alcoa guy" since Coach Phelps. I think thats one reason so many people are supportive with the possibility of Coach Nix taking over if/when the time comes. Nix, as far as I know, is a local guy and loves the area. Plus the intensity he shows on the sidelines is second to none. Seriously, I know a lot of people cant see it from the visitors side of the field but if you're ever on the home side you know what Im talking about. Coach Dalton, God rest his soul, said it best in 2001 that Alcoa needs stability at the head coaching position. 10 years later we're still needing it. If its Rankin then so be it, it its Nix thats fine too but we need someone there thats going to be there 10-15 years later and continue to improve the program.

Just my opinion....I feel like Paul Harvey.

Yes, he's been the DC since I believe Reid was coach. As for who would call the offense...Personally Id like to see Coach Henry stay behind and be an Offense Coord. He usually does the calls in the JV/Freshmen games and as a very balanced offensive mind. However, Henry is also a "Rankin guy" and I would imagine if/when Rankin does leave that Henry would probably follow him.

Nix is indeed local & he played with me at Maryville. I'm very proud of what he's accomplished as a coach there & it goes w/o saying that you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. He wasn't a starter for us per se when he played, but he did have a really good football IQ & is certainly a good candidate to help continue the tradition at Alcoa.

That said, it would be devastating for Alcoa to replace Rankin with a coach the likes of Phelps or Meadows. Reid wasn't all that great either, but at least he got the ball rolling a little bit in regards to getting a viable off season weight program, some structured discipline, & a few other things that Alcoa should have had in place a LONG time ago...

Nix is indeed local & he played with me at Maryville. I'm very proud of what he's accomplished as a coach there & it goes w/o saying that you don't have to be a great player to be a great coach. He wasn't a starter for us per se when he played, but he did have a really good football IQ & is certainly a good candidate to help continue the tradition at Alcoa.

That said, it would be devastating for Alcoa to replace Rankin with a coach the likes of Phelps or Meadows. Reid wasn't all that great either, but at least he got the ball rolling a little bit in regards to getting a viable off season weight program, some structured discipline, & a few other things that Alcoa should have had in place a LONG time ago...

Seen What Coach Reid has done at East Paulding in GA? :shock: Doormat to top 5 team in the state.

Seen What Coach Reid has done at East Paulding in GA? :shock: Doormat to top 5 team in the state.

I'd hire John Reid back in a second if he applied to be the coach once again at Alcoa. Alcoa fans who have been complaining about the "lack of versitile play calling" on offense would want him back too I am sure.

Many of the Alcoa fans I have seen post this year must be people who are quite frankly wanting to see Rankin leave and wanting to see Nix take over. Wasn't Nix the defensive coordinator? Didn't his defense surrender 61 total points in 2 losses to CAK this year?

While many of you complain about offensive play calling why don't you look at the scoreboard and ask yourself "should 37 points be enough for us to win a game?" because that's what Alcoa scored in defeat in that playoff game a few weeks ago.

BCsportsfan, wasn't it you who made the post about "play calling in CAK territory" being what cost Alcoa the game?

I'd hire John Reid back in a second if he applied to be the coach once again at Alcoa. Alcoa fans who have been complaining about the "lack of versitile play calling" on offense would want him back too I am sure.

Many of the Alcoa fans I have seen post this year must be people who are quite frankly wanting to see Rankin leave and wanting to see Nix take over. Wasn't Nix the defensive coordinator? Didn't his defense surrender 61 total points in 2 losses to CAK this year?

While many of you complain about offensive play calling why don't you look at the scoreboard and ask yourself "should 37 points be enough for us to win a game?" because that's what Alcoa scored in defeat in that playoff game a few weeks ago.

BCsportsfan, wasn't it you who made the post about "play calling in CAK territory" being what cost Alcoa the game?

CAK was just better this year... finally.

Look at it how you want but as Ive been saying all year long, this Alcoa team isnt the same caliber as the previous years. Its not necessarily a bad thing against them, its just Alcoa was just THAT good in previous years. Yes 37 points should win you a ball game. How many times this year did Alcoa score not just 37 points but just say 21 points and didnt win? 7 @ AE. 14 @ Greeneville, 14 @ CAK and then 37 @ CAK. Its not like the offense put up lots of points in those losses either. You win as a team and you lose as a team.