Open zones, Privates, and Public Schools

Govolsknox

I appreciate your reasonable discussion, and you make good points; however, keep in mind, the smaller the school, the larger % of students have to play football or you won't field a team. For example, CPA had 12 seniors this year on the FB team out of about 45 male seniors. if CPA doesn't have a high %, they don't have enough players to play. Maplewood, on the other hand, has their pick of the best 50-60 players from over 500 male students, so naturally they have a smaller %. If they had 30%, they would have 150 players and couldn't dress them out. Smith Co. has about 340 males students and at least 80 players (about 25%) and they have at least 10 coaches. That doesn't bother me. I think it is good for the kids.

As far as the parent coaches, I do not know the financial arrangement but I'm sure they are all different, and i also know the school has to answer to the church board financially, who would stop any unjustified expenditures. If a parent is a coach, is working hard, and doing a good job, they deserve to be paid like anyone else. i know for a fact some of them coach for free. For a few years, Mark Miller of Sawyer brown coached the middle school team his son was on for free. Again, I cannot testify to perfection in intent or action, but i can state one thing for sure: the potential for problems is not exclusive to the privates.

Good discussion.

It is true that the percentage of football players to students can be high for public schools also. My point is that if a private and a public each have 300 male students to choose from, then the private has the advantage due to not being restricted by a zone. Name a public school that can compete with a private school from year to year when their enrollments are similar. There are not many… if any at all.

IMO, the potential for problems when it comes to coaches being paid is exclusive to the privates. Booster clubs can pay coaches additional money on top of their stipend/salary, but the difference in public and private is that a student doesn’t have to pay tuition to go to public school; instead, the student has to get a transfer approved if he goes out of his zone. With privates, a coach can agree to pay a father and “put him on staff†to offset the cost of the student’s tuition. Again, I’m not blaming anybody… just discussing how schools can get around the rules. It’s good that CPA has some accountability with the church board.

I suggest maybe a different approach to even the playing field. Don't worry so much about open zoning, tuition etc. If a school wins a state championship in any sport say, 2 out of 3 years. That school has proven they are ahead of the other programs in the state in that classification for whatever reason. The next 3 years they step up a division in that sport and play there for the next 3 years. For example, if you win the 2A state football championship 2 out of the next 3 years, then you move up to 3A in playoffs for the next 3 years. I would think this would make the games more meaningful and competitive for even the school which has to move up. After you win something several years in a row, winning the gold ball don't really mean as much. Sort of like a middle weight boxer, after he has beaten all his main competition in his weight class, a lot of the time they move up in weight class to take on more difficult and challenging competition. The TSSAA already reviews the classifications every couple years anyway, just include this in the classification consideration.

There was NO music program at the other school...not an undesirable program. If it were a football program TSSAA would approve the transfer with no problem. Whether you like it or not, athletic transfers happen all the time under the guise of "hardship" and no money changes hands. At least tuition schools don't try to hide their athletic transfers and call them hardships.

Don't you see how this slants the competition to schools that play with the kids that get off the bus. So you clearly realize oz schools have a marked advantage and by not seeing the value of a factor for them you show you are completely happy playing with a stacked deck.

Maybe oz schools should ask for a detractor rather than accept a multiplier. I can see Ballard now complaining about having to coach with all the extra talent he gets. It must be so hard on him.

• Upvote 1

I suggest maybe a different approach to even the playing field. Don't worry so much about open zoning, tuition etc. If a school wins a state championship in any sport say, 2 out of 3 years. That school has proven they are ahead of the other programs in the state in that classification for whatever reason. The next 3 years they step up a division in that sport and play there for the next 3 years. For example, if you win the 2A state football championship 2 out of the next 3 years, then you move up to 3A in playoffs for the next 3 years. I would think this would make the games more meaningful and competitive for even the school which has to move up. After you win something several years in a row, winning the gold ball don't really mean as much. Sort of like a middle weight boxer, after he has beaten all his main competition in his weight class, a lot of the time they move up in weight class to take on more difficult and challenging competition. The TSSAA already reviews the classifications every couple years anyway, just include this in the classification consideration.

So I guess Maryville is going to have to start playing in the college DIII playoffs?

Don't you see how this slants the competition to schools that play with the kids that get off the bus. So you clearly realize oz schools have a marked advantage and by not seeing the value of a factor for them you show you are completely happy playing with a stacked deck.

Maybe oz schools should ask for a detractor rather than accept a multiplier. I can see Ballard now complaining about having to coach with all the extra talent he gets. It must be so hard on him.

Not really, they fly in just before game time and leave right after.

How bout this......

Any school that is Private, play as a Private. Not sure why a school that is formed as an alternative

to Public schools, plays sports as a public school.Is it to take advantage of their Private status to dominate

the Public schools? Not sure why Private schools would not want to aid hardship students that play sports.

If hardship aid is given to all deserving students, why are athletes left out ? With the increased number of

private schools across the state, not sure the (travel, gas, schedule) arguement is still viable. If you can

spend $7k-$10k on tution and drive up to an hour to go to school, you shouldn't mind the extra sports travel.

As for the "open zone" controversy,

(1) Go to your school board and let them know you want your school "open zoned" so you can compete in sports.

(2) If you want a more complicated solution, we could just have the schools report how many "out of zone" they

have. Example...Alcoa has 550 student ...if tuition students are 150...then competion enrollment would be 700.

I think everyone plays with kids that get off the bus :roflol: . Do you really think all ooz schools have an advantage? North Greene, Chuckey Doak, South Greene, West Greene, Marion Co. etc have an advantage? There are alot of kids that live closer to GHS than they do to the County Schools they are zoned for. Greeneville is one of the largest counties in the state land wise and only has 60,000 people so its not like GHS has hundreds of thousands to choose from like some ooz counties in TN