Best Teams to NOT Win a State Title

CU06

1997 Sevier County. Led by Joey Matthews and a bunch of seniors. Lost to Oak Ridge and DB in regular season (by two and three points). Then lost to Riverdale and Eric Locke in the semis (a de facto Championship Game). Great team. Especially since this year was the first time Sevier County had ever won a playoff game. Was a catalyst for two years down the rode when Sevier County won the state title in 1999.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1997 Sevier County. Led by Joey Matthews and a bunch of seniors. Lost to Oak Ridge and DB in regular season (by two and three points). Then lost to Riverdale and Eric Locke in the semis (a de facto Championship Game). Great team. Especially since this year was the first time Sevier County had ever won a playoff game. Was a catalyst for two years down the rode when Sevier County won the state title in 1999.

Remember that regular season game being played at Oak Ridge..Still one of the hardest hits i have ever seen at any level was when John Massey #48 For Oak Ridge about decapitated a SC player going over the middle, might of been yalls TE, not sure..I remember he didn't get up for a long time and was convulsing on the field..Atrocious hit.

The old de facto championship game, usually a semifinal.

Melrose would have beaten Maryville that one year if they would have quit throwing up bomb after bomb and instead handed the ball off to the stud they had a TB that ended up playing at Miami. Poor coaching and play calling....what's new.

If I recall...and I do recall, the Maryville defense shut him down much like they do most of the stud Memphis running backs.

I remember that the Soddy Daisy team in 1997 was also very stacked. Went undefeated in the regular season until they lost to Red Bank in the final game of the regular season. Went ended up hurting them because that gave them the second seed from the region and pitted them against Riverdale in second round. People around Soddy Daisy like to claim that was the de facto state championship game. I will say that Soddy Daisy team was pretty loaded.

I remember that the Soddy Daisy team in 1997 was also very stacked. Went undefeated in the regular season until they lost to Red Bank in the final game of the regular season. Went ended up hurting them because that gave them the second seed from the region and pitted them against Riverdale in second round. People around Soddy Daisy like to claim that was the de facto state championship game. I will say that Soddy Daisy team was pretty loaded.

that was a great game we had a LB Kelly that year that had great game against yall and it seems like he made a great play when SD was backed up against their goal line to help seal the win

that was a great game we had a LB Kelly that year that had great game against yall and it seems like he made a great play when SD was backed up against their goal line to help seal the win

I think our QB threw an interception on a screen play that was returned for a touchdown. This, if I am correct, was the turning point in the game.

If you throw out the 98 Elizabethton team the the 1998 Greeneville team has to be on the list. They Beat that Elizabthton team 28-6 in the regular season and where a perfect 10-0. Elizabethton beat them in the play-offs because of some Stupid Decisions (Long Story) made by half the starters before that game.

1999 Elizabethton team was stronger in my opinion. They only beat my Boone team that year but a touchdown I believe, close game the whole way. The 1999 team couldn't be touched until the 4th round. I believe the 1998 and 1999 games were all decided by the last play of the games for the Elizabethton teams. All around, both those years Cow Town put up some great teams.

Oak Ridge in 94..We lost to the #4 team in the nation Riverdale 21-7 in the semifinals. Was our only loss that year 13-1. Far from an upset, Riverdale was the favorite, but a great hard nosed Oak Ridge team it was. Riverdale was just a machine that year.

2005 Oak Ridge. the team dominated everyone they played. shouldn't have lost to ooltewah. were up by like 30 and the jv goes in and loses the lead and just couldn't get the ball rollin our way again. one of the best teams in oak ridge history. and i said "one of the best" because there have been many great teams in the history of oak ridge. remember "The Darkside" defense. and of course spencer gulmire. that '05 team could probably beat the UT teams we've seen the past couple of years. (not saying too much)