Best Teams to NOT Win a State Title

CU06

2005 Oak Ridge. the team dominated everyone they played. shouldn't have lost to ooltewah. were up by like 30 and the jv goes in and loses the lead and just couldn't get the ball rollin our way again. one of the best teams in oak ridge history. and i said "one of the best" because there have been many great teams in the history of oak ridge. remember "The Darkside" defense. and of course spencer gulmire. that '05 team could probably beat the UT teams we've seen the past couple of years. (not saying too much)

Except Ravenwood.......

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Ravenwood.......

Yeah, you could also throw in the 95 or 96 oak ridge teams...In terms of pure talent their havent been many in this part of the state in terms of raw athletic talent in the past 30 or so years...In terms of talent they were unreal, just couldn't bring it together as a TEAM and that is what matters most. In terms of talent though, they had 3 guys go to SEC schools, and big time sec schools at that. Mike Gipson(Florida), Shaun Bohannon and Jason McAddley, both Alabama. McAddley made a career in the NFL as well. Awesome athletes on that team and had the potential to win back to back titles, but had a lot of individuality instead of teamwork on them teams.

Along with Kevin Yeager (Farragut), McAddley was the best all-around athlete I've ever seen in high school.

Yes, He was in the same grade i was in, i played with him. He was a special athlete. He placed in the top 5 in the decathlon in the whole state his senior year, that tells you how athletic a person is right there. Him, along with Harrison Smith (Catholic) have probably been the best i have seen. Smith won the decathlon his senior year, pretty impressive.

Edited by SweetScience

I agree. I was impressed by that 2008 Henry County team. I'll admit, after the 2006 semifinal game against Henry County, I didn't expect them to be as good as advertised because the vast majority of the teams they played that year were so inferior, I thought for sure when they finally played a good team that could compete with them, they would find themselves illprepared and crumble. BUT they gave HHS all they wanted.

Shoot, Marsalis Teague ran around right end for a stupid long TD on the first play from scrimmage and then played CB that game and came clear across the field from the opposite hash to out-jump Eric Gordon in the redzone for an interception in one of the most athletic plays I've ever seen at the high school level. Then, he returned a kickoff for a TD in the final minutes to pull Henry County to the final score of 31-24. I can still remember that game vividly. The atmosphere, emotion, and big-time plays being traded by several future Division 1 athletes scattered all over the field. It was one of the best football games I've seen at the high school level.

Congratulations, btw to Henry County's football team on winning their first state championship in football this past year. If I remember correctly, they lost in the semifinals in 2006, 2007, and 2008. I speak from experience when I say, it's always euphoric to finally break down a barrier like that.

I have to also throw HHS's 2001 and 2002 teams up for some consideration and I believe I likely would get some Maryville fans who remember those games to agree with that mention. Both went 14-1, losing to some very good Maryville teams in consecutive state championship games by a combined 10 points.

Hillsboro won state in 2003 and 2008 but the best team Hillsboro ever had was the 2002 team.

Yes, He was in the same grade i was in, i played with him. He was a special athlete. He placed in the top 5 in the decathlon in the whole state his senior year, that tells you how athletic a person is right there. Him, along with Harrison Smith (Catholic) have probably been the best i have seen. Smith won the decathlon his senior year, pretty impressive.

I covered him, but his weakness was his hands. Bohannon was definitely the star of the team that year & both were a good offensive tandem. My Sr. year he was in the top 3 in the decathlon with Charles McTorry out of Nashville-Overton & Tim Bell out of Maryville.

I covered him, but his weakness was his hands. Bohannon was definitely the star of the team that year & both were a good offensive tandem. My Sr. year he was in the top 3 in the decathlon with Charles McTorry out of Nashville-Overton & Tim Bell out of Maryville.

What is funny is McAddley didn't even start his JV year, wasn't even that athletic, and BOOM out of nowhere he matured and was just a freak athlete. Darndest thing i ever saw.

I do not want to be a hypocrite here, being from Tennessee High School but I firmly believe they should have won the 5A State Ttile back in 2009

One of the bigest wins they had all season was probably the DB game. Does anyone remember the Tsunami coming through the Castle? WOAHHHHH

Along with the South game, winning the conference championship over Sullivan South, 38-22 in Death Valley, but also the annual VT game in the castle.

TN High went on a downfall the folowing year. Started the season off strong with a shutout over Sullivan East, 42-0, then a 27-10 win over DC and a 45-14 win at VHS then one of the best games, in my personal opinion, a win at Science Hill 31-28. After so, Greenville came in and whooped them 56-7.

Greenville, in 2009 ALSO could have won state, even with their loss in the championship game.