Reclassification

fblover

I saw a quote from your coach, Prez, and frankly was surprised at what he said. I don't know about the western end of the state, but I have talked to probably a dozen head coaches in the last few weeks - some on the air, and some off the air - and none of them are in favor of keeping things as they are now. They have all pretty much been in unison that we need to go back to 5 classifications, and the playoff system needs to revert back to something similar to what it was prior to the last change. The consensus is that there is just too much uncertainty and way too many variables that aren't settled on the field between the teams vying or playoff spots. It's become way too BCS like subjective.

Most of the coaches I have talked with are also in favor of going back to a true public/private split come playoff time. I suspect that may be on the agenda before long.

Point well taken HTV...I do enjoy your views and posts. However, a true "public/private split" is not what's up for debate here. Again, I've spoken with 4 different coaches, in 3 difference geographic areas representing 3 of the 6 or 5 classes...yet NONE are wanting to change.

Question...why would these coaches want bigger regions?(more mandatory games) (There are a minimum of 3 regions with 10 teams in each under the proposal)What advantage does 1 team have over the other by not knowing who you will play Week 11? Isn't it equally surprising/interesting/challenging for both teams? Although I don't buy the travel excuse...are their coaches who actually wish to travel further? Are their coaches who wish for their teams not to experience the postseason? Are their coaches who aspire to have smaller visiting crowds at their region games? All of these are byproducts of the 5A proposal.

Please understand, we here are good with either....nonetheless, agree or disagree, the current system (Z-plan)is for the overall good of MORE schools than is the 5A proposal as well as the best scenerio for the long-term health of the TSSAA.

I think for some teams, a bigger problem than the uncertain playoff opponent is playing opponents much larger in district matchups-even though they also play them in the district in basketball, baseball and softball. The difference is in the perception since the much larger schools are separated in the playoffs.

Point well taken HTV...I do enjoy your views and posts. However, a true "public/private split" is not what's up for debate here. Again, I've spoken with 4 different coaches, in 3 difference geographic areas representing 3 of the 6 or 5 classes...yet NONE are wanting to change.

Question...why would these coaches want bigger regions?(more mandatory games) (There are a minimum of 3 regions with 10 teams in each under the proposal)What advantage does 1 team have over the other by not knowing who you will play Week 11? Isn't it equally surprising/interesting/challenging for both teams? Although I don't buy the travel excuse...are their coaches who actually wish to travel further? Are their coaches who wish for their teams not to experience the postseason? Are their coaches who aspire to have smaller visiting crowds at their region games? All of these are byproducts of the 5A proposal.

Please understand, we here are good with either....nonetheless, agree or disagree, the current system (Z-plan)is for the overall good of MORE schools than is the 5A proposal as well as the best scenerio for the long-term health of the TSSAA.

When I said the public/private thing may be on the agenda soon, I didn't mean right now. I suspect that will be on the agenda in coming years.

Not every region will get bigger. In the proposed region that Powell has been suggested, they actually go down in numbers. Their current district is 9 teams, while the new proposed region is 7, so it isn't every region that will have an increased number of teams. I suspect that if that plan is passed, then the inequity in the number of teams per region will be something that is looked at and evened out just a bit.

There is no perfect system, but the one we've been under the last 3 years - this year will be 4 - has way too many flaws and variables that aren't decided on the field. I think that is what most coaches want - a chance to decide who is in the playoffs by wins and losses against teams they are competing with for those slots, and not teams who are competing for playoff slots in another playoff classification.

Indian, I assume you are from Sequatchie County based on your past posts. If that is the case from what I have studied and looking at the proposed 5 classification plan, you are better off as it is now. Yes you play signal in the current format, but they go to a 4a playoff bracket. In the proposed 5 class plan you play still play signal and they are in the same playoff grouping. Based on what I have studied you are better suited to keep things as they are. Just my humble opinion.

When I said the public/private thing may be on the agenda soon, I didn't mean right now. I suspect that will be on the agenda in coming years.

Not every region will get bigger. In the proposed region that Powell has been suggested, they actually go down in numbers. Their current district is 9 teams, while the new proposed region is 7, so it isn't every region that will have an increased number of teams. I suspect that if that plan is passed, then the inequity in the number of teams per region will be something that is looked at and evened out just a bit.

There is no perfect system, but the one we've been under the last 3 years - this year will be 4 - has way too many flaws and variables that aren't decided on the field. I think that is what most coaches want - a chance to decide who is in the playoffs by wins and losses against teams they are competing with for those slots, and not teams who are competing for playoff slots in another playoff classification.

Many good points...under the new proposal, our "new region" (5-5A) would also be 1 team smaller than our current District 10-AAA...yet the majority of regions would in fact grow and a handful would max out at 10 only allowing member teams to schedule 1 non-region game.

Lastly, I would suggest the opposite is true when speaking of the current Z-plan...it is all handled on the field...each and every week! If you win, (which is the underlining goal each week) it will play out in your best interest come Week 11. The problem is based on this new attitude of "when we lose a game....we determine in our twisted minds that we shouldn't have been playing them in the first place"...instead of "we need to get back to work and improve in certain areas!" It's a poor attitude yet a sign of the times we live in...and it's deeply disturbing!

Edited by QBClubPrez

Indian, I assume you are from Sequatchie County based on your past posts. If that is the case from what I have studied and looking at the proposed 5 classification plan, you are better off as it is now. Yes you play signal in the current format, but they go to a 4a playoff bracket. In the proposed 5 class plan you play still play signal and they are in the same playoff grouping. Based on what I have studied you are better suited to keep things as they are. Just my humble opinion.

That's possibly true. For the individual school here, any disappointment with the proposed region isn't necessarily about Signal being tough, or Red Bank or any other team. It's also about playing some schools that have had very poor visiting attendance in past matchups (various sports) even though they're only about 30-45 minutes away. One of them, in basketball, I don't remember a time Sequatchie had fewer fans at their place despite being visitors. I'd say dozens across the state have the same view. Even though the playoff classes would be compressed by one, the regular season districts would grow by two and there's no way to get around undesirable matchups for a lot of schools. I think that should trump playoff opponent uncertainty.

That's possibly true. For the individual school here, any disappointment with the proposed region isn't necessarily about Signal being tough, or Red Bank or any other team. It's also about playing some schools that have had very poor visiting attendance in past matchups (various sports) even though they're only about 30-45 minutes away. One of them, in basketball, I don't remember a time Sequatchie had fewer fans at their place despite being visitors. I'd say dozens across the state have the same view. Even though the playoff classes would be compressed by one, the regular season districts would grow by two and there's no way to get around undesirable matchups for a lot of schools. I think that should trump playoff opponent uncertainty.

Now...here's a poster/fan/supporter who understands our position! Under the new 5A proposal, our travel would increase (not necessarily an issue), our schedule would be somewhat more challenging, PLUS, our revenue would increase even though travel would also increase! (rare situation) Teams are disgusted with playing these schools with zero community and fan support. It's costing us major dollars while on the other hand, those with large followings fund these program's general athletic funds by traveling in number and buying their popcorn! It's a major issue...one of which has moved up on our wish/expectation list when voting/chosing classification plans!

Many good points...under the new proposal, our "new region" (5-5A) would also be 1 team smaller than our current District 10-AAA...yet the majority of regions would in fact grow and a handful would max out at 10 only allowing member teams to schedule 1 non-region game.

Lastly, I would suggest the opposite is true when speaking of the current Z-plan...it is all handled on the field...each and every week! If you win, (which is the underlining goal each week) it will play out in your best interest come Week 11. The problem is based on this new attitude of "when we lose a game....we determine in our twisted minds that we shouldn't have been playing them in the first place"...instead of "we need to get back to work and improve in certain areas!" It's a poor attitude yet a sign of the times we live in...and it's deeply disturbing!

I really don't see that as an excuse at all. It's not that you shouldn't be playing those teams, but that playoff teams in a given classification should be decided by teams in that classification, and not by games with teams in higher - or lower - classifications. If classification is going to be ignored, then why not just go to one classification for the entire state?

I was told Oak Ridge's enrollment has dropped by around 300. Is there a school that has opened?

Certainly is and everyone is trying to go to the new one, Harding. Two or three years they will be dominent. Population changed but also compensation for coaches in the area has changed also. But that is not a major criteria.

There is no system in which everyone will be happy. However, the current system seems more advantageous for more schools than the 5 class system was/would be. I keep hearing a lot about schools not wanting to be over matched in district play. To that I say, there will ALWAYS, I repeat, ALWAYS be teams who are over matched, regardless of what district/region/classification/whatever they play in. I also don't understand those who say the current system leaves too many results that aren't decided on the field of play. What do you mean by that? If you win enough games, you're going to be in the playoffs. Is that not the point? In a 5 class system you will see more of the following: farther travel, bigger regions (advantageous for some, disadvantageous for others), and more teams with losing records who make the playoffs. I'm in favor of keeping the system as it is, but what do I know, I'm just a fan.

I really don't see that as an excuse at all. It's not that you shouldn't be playing those teams, but that playoff teams in a given classification should be decided by teams in that classification, and not by games with teams in higher - or lower - classifications. If classification is going to be ignored, then why not just go to one classification for the entire state?

HTV...you hit on the point of confusion for the majority of fans, coaches, etc...that really shouldn't be an issue at all. For instance, the school I attended and continue to support competes in District 10-AAA in football, baseball, basketball, soccer, softball, volleyball, etc. As a matter of fact, it is precisely the same district it competed in 20 years ago when I was in school. In EVERY sport, we compete in District 10-AAA...and winning that district is the utmost goal of each team on campus! Classification is NOT ignored, yet specifically designed to allow our school to play and compete against teams with "similar" enrollments and athletic programs. As it did in the 80s and early 90s, it currently works flawlessly in every sport we compete in with exception to the revenue generated by our fellow district members! Again, we (HC) are a 3A school (even designated as such on these boards)! It is only if we qualify for the postseason in football (Week 11) does our classification increase to 5A or 6A.

Under the new proposal...the two teams in District 10-AAA that would qualify for 6A in the postseason, would still be in our new Region 5-5A (Dickson Co. and Rossview) changing abolutely nothing as far as we are concerned. (we play them now...we'll play them then) Thus, we fail to see the disparity as it relates to the Z-plan in which so many are crying "foul" or "it's not fair that we have to play so and so"! Bottom line, your team is either A, AA, or AAA. That's all that a team, coach, or fan should concern themselves with as it relates to classification. (at least until November)

Edited by QBClubPrez

In a 5 class system you will see more of the following: more teams with losing records who make the playoffs.

This is a false statement, under the Z plan we have seen more teams with losing records make the playoffs than the 5 class system. This is a fallacy that too many people on this board use.