Maryville vs. Alcoa (Official ESPN2 Game Thread)

Red Rebels

Another thing I wanted to share. On the main Unapproved Website High School board there was a thread about the Maryville vs Alcoa game. You have to be a Unapproved Website member to read it. A lot of fans across the country were saying great things about Maryville and Alcoa. All those fans thought both teams were well coached.

Not to disparage anyone, but half the posters on this site could have won with the team Meadows had. IMO it was John Reed (sp) who set the table for Rankin by installing discipline and conditioning. Coach Rankin has done a terrific job since.

I would strongly disagree. Coach Ironside (and even Coach Phelps) had teams just as good as the 2000 team but couldnt do squat with them. It was a case of the stars alligning. I would say Meadows brought Alcoa back into the spotlight of HS football but Reid's weight program really boosted them up. Reids discipline wasnt half as good as Rankin. That was the final piece missing and thats what Rankin brought in. It all pieced together after that.

Edited by GoddardField

I would strongly disagree. Coach Ironside (and even Coach Phelps) had teams just as good as the 2000 team but couldnt do squat with them. It was a case of the stars alligning. I would say Meadows brought Alcoa back into the spotlight of HS football but Reid's weight program really boosted them up. Reids discipline wasnt half as good as Rankin. That was the final piece missing and thats what Rankin brought in. It all pieced together after that.

Yep , totally agree with this post ... Rankin brought the last piece of the Puzzle to push Alcoa over the top .

Trenton Schular should be getting 20+ carries a game especially against teams like Alcoa with all that size.

WL, what is your mindset behind this statement? Shular is a good RB, I agree, but you mention "teams like Alcoa with all that size", do you think he is a better runner going inside and getting the tough yards, or are you saying they should have used him to get outside of those big boys?