Maryville vs DB...if they advance

MLREB

CarolinaRebel

Just a little history about coach wilson at mhs while I was there. IMO he lost a state championship by not doing as GQ does. MHS was playing LC , undefeated and potent with the single-wing offence .. coach wilson did devise a defence that completely stymied LC .Score 31-0 with a minute or 2 to go. MHS had one of the best runners they''have ever had . He had long since gone to the bench--right ? Wrong .. Coach Wilson kept him in and he was hurt in the last minute -score 31-0. MHS lost in the finals because he couldn't play . It was close, but the yardage usually got from him was not there. IMO,as I said Anybody remember that game and the runner? Would GQ have kept him in?

Your first 2 posts have been real winners . It's always easy to second guess somebody isn't it Carolinarebel ?? Maryville was lucky as HE DOUBLE L to have Ted Wilson as their coach back then , just like we're lucky now to have Coach Quarles .

CarolinaRebel

pepvol and Batman---you are exactly right -a player can get hurt anytime-even sitting on the bench. Just wondered how the game would have gone if he had been playing. But ,as they say , that is why they play the game and also they say you play with what you got..

I was there at that time. Was it Buster Smith? I remember 1 player for Humboldt scoring all their points. He scooped a fumble for a TD and kicked 2 field goals. The last field goal barely went over the goal post.

Maryville better beware of sevierCo or Beardon, then worry about Kingsport because everybody better expect some upsets in this Quad1 Ya Better Know It !!!!!!!!

slow down beast mode 96 dont make us look stupid we havent done anything yet, your season is made in the playoff, yes we have a good team and they are working hard you are remembered for your last game

CarolinaRebel

RebelRon-- I don't think it was Buster Smith . He was black. Whoever was carrying the ball seemed to stumble and hurled the ball to the ground . It bounced straight up and it was easy for the defender to walk into the end-zone. A couple of miscues like that and Rebels inability to run well without their star runner.,IMO lost the game. By the way, that state final was played in Maryville.. Do you remember when Maryville and Alcoa both played in the finals --a double header on Alcoa's field? Oh, Buster Smith wasn't black--it was the player who got hurt.

CarolinaRebel

RebelRon-- I don't think it was Buster Smith . He was black. Whoever was carrying the ball seemed to stumble and hurled the ball to the ground . It bounced straight up and it was easy for the defender to walk into the end-zone. A couple of miscues like that and Rebels inability to run well without their star runner.,IMO lost the game. By the way, that state final was played in Maryville.. Do you remember when Maryville and Alcoa both played in the finals --a double header on Alcoa's field? Oh, Buster Smith wasn't black--it was the player who got hurt.

I think it was 1977. Alcoa won the A title in '77, '78, '79. Maryville won AA in '76, '78.

Maryville was runner-up in '77, '79.

This is from TSSAA website:

Football 1979 Class AA Team Runner-Up 10-13 Maryville Attendance - 3,318

Football 1978 Class AA Team Champions 21-14 Nashville Attendance - 3,084

Football 1977 Class AA Team Runner-Up 6-28 Alcoa Attendance - 3,340

Football 1976 Class AA Team Champions 27-0 Murfreesboro Attendance - 2,259

Football 1970 Class AA Team Champions 42-14 Loudon Attendance - 3,457

Buster didn't get to MHS until 1979.

Edited by Red Rebels