Sullivan South/Cleveland Playoff issue

mjuhb

Cleveland actually finished ahead of Walker Valley in the district (this is from tssaa website) I'd have to go look at the "opponents that won over 50% of their games"

McMinn County AAA 5 6 0 211 95 9 1 317 154 ,Rhea County,Ooltewah,Walker Valley,Cleveland,Soddy-Daisy,Bradley Central Ooltewah AAA 5 4 2 221 98 7 3 329 179 ,Soddy-Daisy,Bradley Central,Rhea County,Walker Valley Bradley Central AAA 5 4 2 167 122 6 4 242 225 ,Soddy-Daisy,Rhea County,Walker Valley,Cleveland Cleveland AAA 5 3 3 193 139 5 5 312 241 ,Ooltewah,Walker Valley,Soddy-Daisy Walker Valley AAA 5 2 4 141 211 5 5 238 277 ,Soddy-Daisy,Rhea County Rhea County AAA 5 1 5 96 185 2 8 149 302 ,Cleveland Soddy-Daisy AAA 5 1 5 52 231 2 8 147 385 ,Rhea County

Lets look at the numbers.

Kickoff is at 7pm Central time. (Thats 8pm in Kingsport)

Teams normally wanna arrive 2 hours before kickoff.

5 hours 14 minutes according to google maps. Factor in the fact that they're taking a bus its probably closer to 6 hours.

That being said, if they drove straight through they'd have to leave at 11 central time. (noon in Kingsport) to get to Columbia 2 hours before kickoff. Like HTV said you also have to factor in lunch and a pregame meal, so that adds probably an hour and a half to kickoff time. So they'd probably have to leave at 10:30 am eastern time, and after sitting on a cramped bus for 7 hours go play a football game. Absolutely crazy.

why not play saturday

Lets look at the numbers.

Kickoff is at 7pm Central time. (Thats 8pm in Kingsport)

Teams normally wanna arrive 2 hours before kickoff.

5 hours 14 minutes according to google maps. Factor in the fact that they're taking a bus its probably closer to 6 hours.

That being said, if they drove straight through they'd have to leave at 11 central time. (noon in Kingsport) to get to Columbia 2 hours before kickoff. Like HTV said you also have to factor in lunch and a pregame meal, so that adds probably an hour and a half to kickoff time. So they'd probably have to leave at 10:30 am eastern time, and after sitting on a cramped bus for 7 hours go play a football game. Absolutely crazy.

And that' not to mention parents and supporters who plan to go and will have to take a full day off work with our without pay depending on their situations, and either drive back after the game and get home at 6 AM or shell out the bucks for a hotel room.

As I said, this just makes no sense what so ever.

And I do feel for the guys at the TSSAA. We all make mistakes, but to do it this way and not redo the brackets so teams can play who they are supposed to play is only adding to the mistake. It's not correcting it.

Well that pasted like crap, anyway Cleveland was 3-3 in district and 5-5 overall Walker Valley 2-4 in district and 5-5 overall and Cleveland beat Walker Valley

I don't have a dog in this fight, but remember that once you get past the AQs the district standings aren't a factor in who is or isn't an at large team. It's based on total wins - not district wins - and the tiebreaker system applies in order that it was listed each week in the playoff standings.

Right or wrong, and I am not saying that it is either, that is the criteria for being an at large playoff team.

Edited by HTV

Well that pasted like crap, anyway Cleveland was 3-3 in district and 5-5 overall Walker Valley 2-4 in district and 5-5 overall and Cleveland beat Walker Valley

That's not how you determine who gets in the playoffs. First overall wins, then the 2nd tiebreaker is teams on schedule winning 50% of their games.

Walker Valley played 7 teams winning 50% of their games

Cleveland only played 5 teams winning 50% of their games.

So Walker Valley is in.

I too feel for the TSSAA...people do make mistakes and ultimately the right team needs go...perhaps the TSSAA should allocate part of thier half a million dollar + yearly profits to help Sullivan South defray part of the travel cost of its mistake.

this subject was bought to my attention 2 weeks ago. after thinking about started contacted people in the media. i heard sullivan south already had the ball rolling.

The TSSAA needs to do the right thing and correct the brackets, period. This is not fair to Sullivan South, who made the playoffs fairly, to be put in such a difficult situation. Just re-do the quads the way they were supposed to be done and make it right. The brackets have only been out for 11 hours...so coaches won't lose that much preparation time. Besides, all coaches will be affected equally this way. If they leave it the way it is now, the fewest teams will be affected, but that doesn't make it right for Sullivan South to be slighted.

That's not how you determine who gets in the playoffs. First overall wins, then the 2nd tiebreaker is teams on schedule winning 50% of their games.

Walker Valley played 7 teams winning 50% of their games

Cleveland only played 5 teams winning 50% of their games.

So Walker Valley is in.

I know that, I was simply posting the district rankings with the won loss record and said in the original post that I didn't know the breakdown of the first tie breaker. Thought some reading this thread might like to see it, but then it didn't post like it looked and jumbled it all up.