Sullivan South/Cleveland Playoff issue

mjuhb

Half the teams make the playoffs in the current system. You are talking about extending the season 1 week only. It's not a big deal as much as you want to suggest that it is. You are proposing cutting more kid's playoff experience out with fewer games/ weeks. I am proposing including them all and making the season 1 week longer . Don't be selfish.

I would never propose playing more than 1 game in a week as you have suggested. Where did you come up with that idea from my post?

It would be easy to add a week in the playoffs, just remove week zero from the regular season. As mentioned, basketball has 16 districts and four from each go on to region play.

What about this.....

Keep the current system as is because other than an error here and there it does this best to get the best teams in the playoffs (ex. cleveland out, walker valley in error/south, cleveland situation error). I like how total wins is the first criteria because that makes things always be in your hands if you are winning. Win you're in. If Cleveland wins one out of its last two games they get in. The very next criteria is opponents over .500 which I think pushes teams to get better opponents on the schedule which leads to better regular season games.

Now my change would be release the brackets the Sunday after and instead of coaches making a quick exchange and getting ready for the game the following Friday, give each team that made the playoffs a bye week and play the games the following Friday.

This does a couple of things: 1.) This gives the TSSAA all day Saturday to go through the previous nights games and double and triple and quadruple check that brackets. 2.) This gives the TSSAA times to catch and correct any mistakes made the way it should be corrected. 3.) This gives teams a week to get healthy and rest before making a playoff run.

May not be the best play but it is a quick fix that could be applied over the next 4 years without changing the playoff system that has been voted in.

Exactly. Every team in basketball, soccer or baseball has a chance in post-season in high school.

Go four classes, 16 districts. Five or six teams in each. Six weeks of playoffs. 64 of roughly 80 teams would make the postseason. You'd have the usual "you're giving every team a trophy like little league" crowd complaining but no players would be complaining especially if their programs had made few playoff appearances over the years for whatever reasons. Four would work-five or six definitely spreads things out too far, and three places teams far apart in enrollment together.

Post season games (playoff) should be a reward for having a good season. Sorry if you don't make it into the post season games but somebody has to lose each week, that's just part of the whole scheme of it. Half of the teams fri night will lose and their season will be over, it has to end sometime.

Having some 80 percent of the teams in each class make it might be excessive but in a system I'd like, four classes, it would be the best situation. If you just go 32, you have only two from each district like the old days and a ton of good #3 teams in a district would be left out. In a lot of cases they're better than district champs but have state title contenders in the first and second spots. I remember the team here allowed more than a touchdown only twice the whole season yet went 8-2, they lost those two games and failed to make it. Teams ahead were eventual state champ Marion and a strong Tyner team.

Edited by Indian

Post season games (playoff) should be a reward for having a good season. Sorry if you don't make it into the post season games but somebody has to lose each week, that's just part of the whole scheme of it. Half of the teams fri night will lose and their season will be over, it has to end sometime.

Your right. Nature of the game. Why even have a playoff if everybody goes. You think a team that goes 2 & 8 or 0 & 10 wants to play another game against a team that is going to more than likely mercy rule them. Yeah right that's real rewarding.

You're going to have such matchups, 10-0 vs 3-7, etc if you go back to taking the top 4 from each district or region, especially if teams know their non-region matchups have no effect on the playoff standings, just 1-4s and 2-3s. They can afford to schedule tough instead of looking for easier wins.

Way, way too many teams make it to playoffs..... Four classifications is all you need. What was wrong with A, AA, and AAA. Too many "champions".. That's the "feel good" concept. A team should be first or second in the region to advance. The argument that the third place in region is better than another regions champ is not valid... True, maybe...but it happens in other sports. Murfreesboro has probably the very best basketball in the state, throw in Shelbyville, Wilson Central, Mt Juliet, etc....but only two from region can go to state. Bottom line is that you have to earn your way to the playoffs.... Right now it is pathetic..... Two years ago a team went to playoffs only winning two district games!!!!! Ridiculous!!! Something has to be done. Plus what TSSAA did to Cleveland and to Sullivan is unforgivable. Take away the crazy formula they use to choose teams, but to make one team travel so far for game one is totally uncalled for. Back several years ago there was no need for a formula for a team to go to playoffs...there was a tiebreaker and that was it....

Three classes spreads out the size of the teams too much in a lot of teams' view. They do compete in the regular season but if a team manages to make the playoffs despite the size obstacle, they're paired with teams more their size. I agree, four would be ideal if the number of playoff teams making it could be worked out.

. Football kids practice harder than any other sport.

Sorry crawdad...my football player sons wrestle...and wrestlers practice harder than any other sport. cool.png

As for the topic at hand. Too many weak teams are in the playoffs...period. If your team is not that great, you dont get an extra week. That is the way it should be. Dont drag out the season for another week. This is America and despite what many people try to believe, everyone can't be a winner. JMHO

Sorry crawdad...my football player sons wrestle...and wrestlers practice harder than any other sport. cool.png

As for the topic at hand. Too many weak teams are in the playoffs...period. If your team is not that great, you dont get an extra week. That is the way it should be. Dont drag out the season for another week. This is America and despite what many people try to believe, everyone can't be a winner. JMHO

I was wondering if someone would mention wrestling being tougher. I agree it is overall but football is more violent. In wrestling you don't have 135lb guys getting slammed into by guys twice that or more.