Sullivan South/Cleveland Playoff issue

mjuhb

Proper seeding matters since it determines who your opponent is, not just your rung. It also determines the home team and also affects attendance. A Knoxville area team should be playing in Quad 2 instead of an upper east Tennessee team. How many fans will not be traveling 300 miles one-way on Friday that would have traveled 100 miles one-way? The home field will be more of an advantage than it normally would be. It is not fair to the players and it is not fair to the fans.

If the TSSAA does not want to following its seeding guidelines at ALL times then they should scrap them. If proper seeding does not matter, how about basing the seeding on geography alone, like giving the #1 seed in Quad 1 to the easternmost team in the state and #8 to the next easternmost team. That would minimize travel. But would that be fair if that #8 seed was 9-1 and had to travel and the #1 seed was 5-5?

If proper seeding is important to begin with, then is it not just as important after they learned of their first mistake? Either proper seeding matters all the time or it doesn't.

Yes I think proper seeding does matter but seeding Sullivan South as the 6 in quad 2 is not proper seeding. It puts them in a much better position that they would have been in if it had been done correctly to beguin with. It also does nothing to fix the other teams that were not seeded correctly. I think what happen to south is terrible and should never have happened but that is no reason to shuffle them in to a better position than they would have been in and it does not correct all the mistakes made to the other teams in quads 1 & 2. That was my point. I think it should have been fixed when it was found. Since it was not then I do not think moving South to the 6 seed in quad 2 is correct.

Edited by ET1979

It looks like if TSSAA got Sullivan South correct the first time, then Knox Powell would have gone to Quad 2, and Sull South as a #8 would have travelled to Morristown West. Sending a highly ranked Powell to Q2 after the brackets were released would have created a huge uproar to the other Quad 2 teams (although it would be the right thing to do).

Actually, according to the TSSAA projections after week 9 (and mjuhb's predictions), Knox West was the "swing" team that should have been in quad 2, if Sullivan South had been in all along.

Most any playoff system or tournament I've ever been associated with-- head to head is the # 1 tie breaker!! This system is nuts!!!

So Indiana (25-8) should have been seeded ahead of Kentucky (32-2) in last years NCAA basketball tourney. They did beat the Wildcats....or maybe Vandy (24-10)....they beat them too.... Let me see who won between Vandy and Indiana......

Head to head only works in a closed system, like a district, where everything else is equal, everyone plays each other...

Edited by Charlie Murphy

So, the members of your football district favors a plan where Team A beats Team B and they both finish with 6-4 records, but team B goes to the playoffs over Team A cause they beat more teams winning 50% of their games. Head to Head means nothing....sounds like a crazy plan to Hogan.

Strength of schedule should mean something....another issue that I see is that the TSSAA worked with 200 plus schools relating to the playoffs and made one computer mistake. That means that 99.5 % was correct...WOW! How can you be upset unless your team did not make it because of head to head...schedule means alot and it should.

So Indiana (25-8) should have been seeded ahead of Kentucky (32-2) in last years NCAA basketball tourney. They did beat the Wildcats....or maybe Vandy (24-10)....they beat them too.... Let me see who won between Vandy and Indiana......

Head to head only works in a closed system, like a district, where everything else is equal, everyone plays each other...

Don't even try to compare. What makes football great is the regular season and district games MATTER. Indiana could have lost all its conference games gone to the conference tournament and win the tournament and go to the dance. All people that do not like the system are saying is that what was wrong with the old system (except now we have MORE playoff games and MORE winners for the T$$AA to make money off of). Also, when reading posts about Cleveland situation I notice where 70% of coaches in that area favored the old system but the Board of Control member voted for what was best for Sequatchie Co. Now that was a quote from the coach of Cleveland. 70% for 5 classes and the guy votes for 6. What a crock of ****. The T$$AA said in the tennessean right before the 5-4 vote that almost 2/3 of the coaches and schools wanted the old system. That is why people complain. There is no true voice of the coaches.

Don't even try to compare. What makes football great is the regular season and district games MATTER. Indiana could have lost all its conference games gone to the conference tournament and win the tournament and go to the dance. All people that do not like the system are saying is that what was wrong with the old system (except now we have MORE playoff games and MORE winners for the T$$AA to make money off of). Also, when reading posts about Cleveland situation I notice where 70% of coaches in that area favored the old system but the Board of Control member voted for what was best for Sequatchie Co. Now that was a quote from the coach of Cleveland. 70% for 5 classes and the guy votes for 6. What a crock of ****. The T$$AA said in the tennessean right before the 5-4 vote that almost 2/3 of the coaches and schools wanted the old system. That is why people complain. There is no true voice of the coaches.

Thanks Fooz....all these guys want this plan ....let'em have it.

I prefer 5 classes, even 4. I would say move football down to 4 and other sports up to 4... then its all the same.

But that doesn't address the selection and seeding process, which yes, I am fine with.

Any system will have flaws and teams will get left out and complain. Any system will have to use victories, schedule, etc to seed. Unless you go back to the old, old system where 1st in district 1 played 2nd in district 2, and so on. I'm fine with that too, but it magnifies the inequality of the districts which can't really be helped. Thats why I like atleast a portion of qualofiers to be "at large" or wildcards

Edited by Charlie Murphy

First off...Cleveland should have taken care of business...Second of all Congrats to Walker Valley making it to the post season...

Now with that being said...I've been reading all of the posts and have come to this that keeps coming up...if head to head competition comes into play in other sports than why not here? Any system is going to be flawed...but to me head to head should be at the top of the tie breaker criteria...being a former coach myself in the highschool ranks of both football and wrestling especially Wrestling there are similar criterias that both sports seem to use...but the difference especially in the wrestling seeding is the head to head competition...Do I feel that Cleveland should be in possibly by the old criteria of head to head...but with the new format no...They should have taken care of business...I like the old format especially from a coaching stand point you could 95% figure out who you were going to play in the post season...

First off...Cleveland should have taken care of business...Second of all Congrats to Walker Valley making it to the post season...

Now with that being said...I've been reading all of the posts and have come to this that keeps coming up...if head to head competition comes into play in other sports than why not here? Any system is going to be flawed...but to me head to head should be at the top of the tie breaker criteria...being a former coach myself in the highschool ranks of both football and wrestling especially Wrestling there are similar criterias that both sports seem to use...but the difference especially in the wrestling seeding is the head to head competition...Do I feel that Cleveland should be in possibly by the old criteria of head to head...but with the new format no...They should have taken care of business...I like the old format especially from a coaching stand point you could 95% figure out who you were going to play in the post season...

Apples and bananas.

In the other sports teams go through district, then regional play. Everybody qualifies for post season in the other sports and you are only competing for seeding with teams that you played in a district with. Head to head is easy to determine seeding because everybody played everybody.

In the football playoff system we have now, if a team isn't an AQ then they are competing with teams from other districts for those slots - teams they haven't played - and not just teams within their own disticts. Head to head isn't relevant any longer because those teams competing with each other for those slots may or may not have played each other. It's about the criteria laid out for qualification at that point.

And for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the current system, either, but it is what it is and until it if voted out it is the system that is going to be use to determine who makes the playoffs and playoff seeding.