Proposed Districts

Omniscience

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For at least a couple of seasons in the 80s the Chattanooga AA district had just Howard, Notre Dame and the old Kirkman school. This was before a lot of the Chattanooga schools like Tyner, Hixson, Brainerd started dropping enrollment. Players now would be surprised to know most of them were previously Class AAA.

It was different because it was five classes for football, regular season and playoffs, and remained three classes for basketball.

Why not just drop Sweetwater from 3a to 2a and put them in same district that Meigs moved to. Let Polk and McMinn Central go to Chattanooga District and move Sequoyah to District 4 in AA. Sweetwater's enrollment has dropped from 690 to 549 since last classification and holding with projections that would put them close to 400 in enrollment at the end of 2017. Seems TSSAA doesn't take into account any enrollment projections when setting these classifications.

Back in the olden days, baseball had the odd districts because not everyone fielded a baseball team and there were plenty of basketball only districts in A ball. The Maury County A district has Culleoka, Hampshire and Santa Fe that will never have football. Makes sense to have football only districts to avoid this AND drop down to 5 classes or less.

On the other hand, there are so many AA schools in middle Tennessee that they swap districts every cycle. What rivalries are we talking about? Cheatham County schools have all been in the same district, all 3 in different districts and variations of 2 in one and one in the other. There's no consideration for sustaining district rivalries that I see. The proposed 9AA district will possibly save travel time for Harpeth in the big picture, but there are 3 AA schools closer to Harpeth (Creek Wood, East Hickman and Fairview) than the closest one in the proposed district (Cheatham County). So, I don't see where they've done this for travel either necessarily.

I do think football only districts will wind up making the most sense.

District 6A doesn't complain because Vickie likes being the bully of a small weak district, and the other teams are happy to get into the playoffs with a terrible record. (I know Marion is doing well this year.) Just think Coach Davis has the integrity to tell it like it is.

Somebody else said it, but why do the football districts have to match other sports. The way the football playoff brackets and seeding are done, you don't have to have 16 districts for the brackets to work. For football, you could move Sequoyah and Sweetwater to 4AA, scrap 5AA, move Polk and McMinn County to 6AA, and shift Red Bank +/- Hixson to 7AA. Each district would have 7 or 8 teams, and travel would not be bad.

Troll, you must be getting out in some sunshine. You are absolutely correct in your analysis. Would make 7AA a very competive region. Gives Signal some natural rivals in district play. I would suspect the BOC control member is doing his best to keep Red Bank and Hixson out of 7AA. Watching out for number one not the membership.

Troll, you must be getting out in some sunshine. You are absolutely correct in your analysis. Would make 7AA a very competive region. Gives Signal some natural rivals in district play. I would suspect the BOC control member is doing his best to keep Red Bank and Hixson out of 7AA. Watching out for number one not the membership.

I believe it wuz you that first mentioned the moves I outlined, but as an insider told me,

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/227745-tommy-layne-re-elected-to-taa-board-of-control/page__st__40#entry2903324

Wow. Big change for Covington. Moves us out of District 13 and puts us in 15, with Jackson schools.... Central Merry, Northside, and Liberty. It keeps us with Haywood and Ripley, though.

If this holds up, It will be interesting to see who we play for our non-conference games. I assume that Munford and Brighton remain as in-county foes, but that leaves room for 3 other teams.

This could be interesting, especially since Covington loses 22 seniors.

That will be an interesting district next year. Liberty will lose a couple of playmakers, but they got good playmakers that are sophomores. JCM is a team that will be the favorite (IMO), they have young talent and i mean talent. Haywood & Ripley I don't know anything about them. North Side will lose 19 Seniors, and they are an exceent senior class, but I don't what is the future of that squad. Covington, since your a Charger fan, i what do they have next year?

Anderson County, right now AAA/5A plans to appeal their enrollment and it appears they have a good case. One of the threads it explains alternative school students from other schools are counted but aren't eligible to play sports there-that's the way I understand it anyway. That would be another school to go into the Alcoa district, I guess.

One more system they won't be using but I wish they'd look at. One big complaint is the uneven number of teams from different playoff classes, in the regular season classes. This would cut that out. Whatever travel it might cause-and so far in this model it hasn't been a big deal-have no more than one more or less from the different playoff groups. The exception, in this it would be the Chattanooga group, is if all are playing in one playoff group.

Hixson would have been better off in District 5 but I shifted them to 4, that evens out District 4 better with 3A and 4A teams, and leaves District 5 with all 3A teams.

Also, cut out the rule on keeping the districts the same across sports. This would be the Class AA group, in districts 1-8. All districts would have at least six teams though so far it's been at least seven.

3A are in bold, 4A not bold

District 1

Johnson Co. High School FB 652

Unicoi Co. High School FB 776

Chuckey-Doak High School FB 644

Elizabethton High School FB 830

Sullivan Central High School FB 1017

Sullivan South High School FB 978

Sullivan East High School FB 879

District 2

Gatlinburg-Pittman High School FB 625

West Greene High School FB 667

Pigeon Forge High School FB 726

Greeneville High School FB 842

Claiborne High School FB 801

Union Co. High School FB 848

Carter High School FB 904

District 3

Alcoa (moved up)

Kingston High School FB 693

* Christian Academy of Knoxville FB 428, 770

Loudon High School FB 769

Scott High School FB 807

-- Fulton High School FB 926

Gibbs High School FB 1073

Anderson Co. High School FB 1032

Knoxville Catholic (move up one class only)

District 4

Polk Co. High School FB 599

McMinn Central High School FB 728

Brainerd High School FB 627

Howard School FB 644

Sequoyah High School FB 955

Chattanooga Central High School FB 948

East Ridge High School FB 829

Hixson High School FB 855

District 5

Bledsoe Co. High School FB 588

Sequatchie Co. High School FB 655

Grundy Co. High School FB 676

* Notre Dame High School FB 396, 713

Signal Mountain High School FB 715

Red Bank High School FB 728

* Chattanooga Christian School FB 444, 799

District 6

Smith Co. High School FB 611

Cannon Co. High School FB 651

Upperman High School FB 658

York Institute FB 669

DeKalb Co. High School FB 842

Livingston Academy FB 1006

Cumberland Co. High School FB 1045

Stone Memorial High School FB 1087

District 7

Greenbrier High School FB 782

* Goodpasture Christian School FB 335, 603

Sycamore High School FB 767

White House High School FB 898

Macon Co. High School FB 953

Whites Creek High School FB 845

Maplewood FB 921

District 8

Stratford High School FB 681

* Christ Presbyterian Academy FB 377, 679

East Nashville Magnet School FB 729

Pearl Cohn High School FB 823

* Lipscomb Academy FB 512, 922

Page High School FB 843

Summit High School FB 1090

One more system they won't be using but I wish they'd look at. One big complaint is the uneven number of teams from different playoff classes, in the regular season classes. This would cut that out. Whatever travel it might cause-and so far in this model it hasn't been a big deal-have no more than one more or less from the different playoff groups. The exception, in this it would be the Chattanooga group, is if all are playing in one playoff group.

Hixson would have been better off in District 5 but I shifted them to 4, that evens out District 4 better with 3A and 4A teams, and leaves District 5 with all 3A teams.

Also, cut out the rule on keeping the districts the same across sports. This would be the Class AA group, in districts 1-8. All districts would have at least six teams though so far it's been at least seven.

3A are in bold, 4A not bold

District 1

Johnson Co. High School FB 652

Unicoi Co. High School FB 776

Chuckey-Doak High School FB 644

Elizabethton High School FB 830

Sullivan Central High School FB 1017

Sullivan South High School FB 978

Sullivan East High School FB 879

District 2

Gatlinburg-Pittman High School FB 625

West Greene High School FB 667

Pigeon Forge High School FB 726

Greeneville High School FB 842

Claiborne High School FB 801

Union Co. High School FB 848

Carter High School FB 904

District 3

Alcoa (moved up)

Kingston High School FB 693

* Christian Academy of Knoxville FB 428, 770

Loudon High School FB 769

Scott High School FB 807

-- Fulton High School FB 926

Gibbs High School FB 1073

Anderson Co. High School FB 1032

Knoxville Catholic (move up one class only)

District 4

Polk Co. High School FB 599

McMinn Central High School FB 728

Brainerd High School FB 627

Howard School FB 644

Sequoyah High School FB 955

Chattanooga Central High School FB 948

East Ridge High School FB 829

Hixson High School FB 855

District 5

Bledsoe Co. High School FB 588

Sequatchie Co. High School FB 655

Grundy Co. High School FB 676

* Notre Dame High School FB 396, 713

Signal Mountain High School FB 715

Red Bank High School FB 728

* Chattanooga Christian School FB 444, 799

District 6

Smith Co. High School FB 611

Cannon Co. High School FB 651

Upperman High School FB 658

York Institute FB 669

DeKalb Co. High School FB 842

Livingston Academy FB 1006

Cumberland Co. High School FB 1045

Stone Memorial High School FB 1087

District 7

Greenbrier High School FB 782

* Goodpasture Christian School FB 335, 603

Sycamore High School FB 767

White House High School FB 898

Macon Co. High School FB 953

Whites Creek High School FB 845

Maplewood FB 921

District 8

Stratford High School FB 681

* Christ Presbyterian Academy FB 377, 679

East Nashville Magnet School FB 729

Pearl Cohn High School FB 823

* Lipscomb Academy FB 512, 922

Page High School FB 843

Summit High School FB 1090

goodpasture will be 2A next year and Summit will be going up to AAA since they will have seniors next year.