Sad day for Smith County

Antwan

Guest Termite

I hope they get the right person this a good football program and fans support if it take little longer get the right person I will be worth it .good luck owls this season

I think that's the goal. Take whatever time is needed to get the right coach. Maynord did a fantastic job of generating support and high expectations. I've been from Johnson City to Tiptonville and anybody that follows H.S. football has heard of Smith County. I've heard a coach from the Knoxville area (as mentioned on here) could be the guy, but that remains to be seen. He's been endorsed by some very good and popular coaches with SC ties. This has had to be a tough decision. Coaches you know very well, coaches you know nothing or very little about. Their experience, knowledge, desire, motivation, and history taken into account. Having to decide with your head, not your heart. It's got to be or had to be a tough decision.

I think that's the goal. Take whatever time is needed to get the right coach. Maynord did a fantastic job of generating support and high expectations. I've been from Johnson City to Tiptonville and anybody that follows H.S. football has heard of Smith County. I've heard a coach from the Knoxville area (as mentioned on here) could be the guy, but that remains to be seen. He's been endorsed by some very good and popular coaches with SC ties. This has had to be a tough decision. Coaches you know very well, coaches you know nothing or very little about. Their experience, knowledge, desire, motivation, and history taken into account. Having to decide with your head, not your heart. It's got to be or had to be a tough decision.

I would still like to hear a name or two. Basically, I've heard Loftis, the guy from Cheatham(which would be a bad hire IMO) the two assistants already on staff, and the guy from Knoxville(he's the one that I'd like to hear the name).

Since I don't know the name of the guy supposedly from Knoxville, I can't speak about him. However, all the other would be great hires with the exception of the Cheatham coach. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I feel it would be a step down from Maynard. I don't think SC can afford anything less than a lateral move.

I would still like to hear a name or two. Basically, I've heard Loftis, the guy from Cheatham(which would be a bad hire IMO) the two assistants already on staff, and the guy from Knoxville(he's the one that I'd like to hear the name).

Since I don't know the name of the guy supposedly from Knoxville, I can't speak about him. However, all the other would be great hires with the exception of the Cheatham coach. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I feel it would be a step down from Maynard. I don't think SC can afford anything less than a lateral move.

I don't think Finley is in the hunt...not sure though. Not many know who was interviewed. I think about 6 or 8.

Guest Termite

I've heard (today) a name........Derick Rang, from Powell H.S.. But I've also heard Dickerson is the front runner. But none of this is anything but speculation. I don't know if they a finished interviewing or not. But it seems that some others, not from these parts, have heard Rang too. All I know about Rang is that he played at Alcoa....I don't know when, or what he has done between playing for Alcoa and coaching Powell.

I've heard (today) a name........Derick Rang, from Powell H.S.. But I've also heard Dickerson is the front runner. But none of this is anything but speculation. I don't know if they a finished interviewing or not. But it seems that some others, not from these parts, have heard Rang too. All I know about Rang is that he played at Alcoa....I don't know when, or what he has done between playing for Alcoa and coaching Powell.

I've talked to some SC parents and supporters, and they all would tickled with Dickerson as coach.

As usual you are wrong...he didn't play at Alcoa! He played for and coached with GQ at Maryville!

Wow...pretty good pedigree.

What would make an ex Maryville player/coach come to Carthage? Dont he know the talent will be gone after this year and wont be back for several years? I'd stay in Blount Co. if I were him. He must not be too good or somebody would have picked him up on their staff. I also hear the school systems up in East Tennessee, especially around Knoxville pay much better than the middle tn area excluding Davidson Co.

Guest Termite

As usual you are wrong...he didn't play at Alcoa! He played for and coached with GQ at Maryville!

As usual?? I'd be willing to bet I'm in the ballpark. Maryville, Alcoa.......same thing as far as anyone around here is concerned. lol That counts.....I just missed by a few miles. Not totally wrong. What else did I miss? Did he go from an assistant at Maryville to Powell HC? Was he there while you were down the street? Then again it may not matter.

Guest Termite

What would make an ex Maryville player/coach come to Carthage? Dont he know the talent will be gone after this year and wont be back for several years? I'd stay in Blount Co. if I were him. He must not be too good or somebody would have picked him up on their staff. I also hear the school systems up in East Tennessee, especially around Knoxville pay much better than the middle tn area excluding Davidson Co.

Somebody sent him film of those 10-11-12 years throwing that papercup football behind the bleachers and he knows papercup football potential. Best as I can figure, and old7 correct me if 'm wrong again, Powell isn't in Blount County. Nobody said he was had the job.... Edited by Termite

As usual?? I'd be willing to bet I'm in the ballpark. Maryville, Alcoa.......same thing as far as anyone around here is concerned. lol That counts.....I just missed by a few miles. Not totally wrong. What else did I miss? Did he go from an assistant at Maryville to Powell HC? Was he there while you were down the street? Then again it may not matter.

Yes he did go from assistant to HC. Yes he was.