South Pittsburg Football 2013

GCPioneer

why does everyone dance around the subject of your next head football coach:

1. be a head coach with a proven track record of success

2. having won region or district championships

3. having won atleast one state championship and hopefully two

4. Is familiar with and knows the history of competing on the 1A level or higher

5. Will be great to the kids and get even more kids out and keep some from going to MC

6. You need the guy to be an offensive guy unless he is going to bring alot of assistants in, your remaining coaches strength is on the defensive side of the ball

7. someone that will work with the youth programs to counter coach Mac's influence

8. someone that the kids will have fun playing for, in the good old days the coach competed against cutting tobacco, picking up hay...todays they fight ipods, ipads, madden, nba basketball, 70 inch big screen tvs and girls that at a young age look to be very adult, many have no father figure, sometimes not mother figure and friends that love to get into trouble., part of coaching football is being a good salesman, you compete against alot of outside obstacles that fight for kiids attention

9. Someone that can teach in the classroom like they do on the football field, atleast a little bit because if the coach does not win alot it will not matter how many students are touched by their teaching skills in the classroom, winning does matter no matter what people say

If for some reason you cannot get someone for the money you are offering and it just happens to be that none of the 140 appicants fulfill the 7 above qualifications, i call bull hockey if atleast 10 did not, you go to the next rung on the ladder:

offensive or defensive coordinators that have a solid reputation and want to be a head coach

an inside hire, which i do not think is going to happen

someone out of state in which unless they have just started coaching will have several years towards retirement and will eventually go back to that state to finish out their career to qualify for their retirement, unless of course they are wealthy and makes this point moot anyway, moot always makes me think of the reverend jesse jackson, he was big on moot

bottom line: treat this just like you would a big time college job or any caeer that you wanted the best

everyone wants a guy that is going to stay forever and that is a good thing. the last hire you got a hire that lasted less than two months, you will just not have many coaches going to south pitt to then try to get a better job somewhere else, history says that you have more chances to play for a state championship there than any other team in the state, single a or otherwise...you just dont go there to leave....duh!

Recon True Old Pirates mostly feel the way you talked about, but outsiders can't feel that way until they truly become imbedded in the community! Now, many may be looking for that & hoping one day to be part of such a special place. SP is a small tight net community with confidence that the youngons can consistently compete with anybody! Many are hesitant to think an outsider will have the best interest of the community at heart. They's a HEEP of "Snake Oil Salesman" acting as coaches! The powers that be best get it right this time!

So did you apply?

Talk is cheap. Actions speck louder than words.Look at wins vs. winning teams and coaches. Does fundraising fall on the coach? Did Coach Grider paint his own field or did he get a former coach to do it? Do quality teachers show hollywood videos during instruction time. Be weary of salesmen.

I doubt the Trousdale coach would come. The Director of Schools(former head coach) has done some great things for that program

Edited by BURLEY

Talk is cheap. Actions speck louder than words.Look at wins vs. winning teams and coaches. Does fundraising fall on the coach? Did Coach Grider paint his own field or did he get a former coach to do it? Do quality teachers show hollywood videos during instruction time. Be weary of salesmen.

I doubt the Trousdale coach would come. The Director of Schools(former head coach) has done some great things for that program

This was a question for VolsRock. Are you saying SP should watch out for him?

This was a question for VolsRock. Are you saying SP should watch out for him?

Understood.

I can only imagine the sales pitches that the admin. hears daily.

Resumes and cool hand luke's dont' make a person great.Luck and being in the right place at the right time is priceless.

As Bill Cosby would say" the proof is in the pudding"

I was under the impression that all teachers had to be certified now days?

People who teach in the Private schools are not licensed/certified by the State. Each private school has it's own teacher qualifications. Some more stringent, some not so much. But if you want to teach in a public school in the State of Tennessee you must be Licensed/Certified by the State DOE. There is a way that you can teach on an interim license while you are meeting the qualifications but you get limited time to do that and you still have to meet certain minimum requirements.

Edited by PurpleGrad

volsrock is a raider but is not supposed to not have an opinion on the general state of coaching football in Tennessee. Mr. Burley has never been a fan of the dancing bear and that is ok also. I believe in logic and common sense and i am smart enough to know just how dumb i am. I do think hiring a quality coach is not that difficult, as far as a "snake oil salesman" people will have to make their own interpertation of that...just awful to hear people talk about you in general or specific terms...i sale no bag of goods other than tell what i think is an honest opinion of football....burley, and i have no idea who you are except you are not a fan, you know where i work and where i coach and probably where i live...if we have business to discuss you know where to find me...no big deal...sorry certain people do not live up to your standards of coaching.....in the famous words of Abraham Lincoln onced stated: "great things may come to those that wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." I probably heard that in one of the movies also,between the time i was selling snake oil......10-1 was not good enough for you last year and i can tell you that it was not for me either, or my family or players either

volsrock is a raider but is not supposed to not have an opinion on the general state of coaching football in Tennessee. Mr. Burley has never been a fan of the dancing bear and that is ok also. I believe in logic and common sense and i am smart enough to know just how dumb i am. I do think hiring a quality coach is not that difficult, as far as a "snake oil salesman" people will have to make their own interpertation of that...just awful to hear people talk about you in general or specific terms...i sale no bag of goods other than tell what i think is an honest opinion of football....burley, and i have no idea who you are except you are not a fan, you know where i work and where i coach and probably where i live...if we have business to discuss you know where to find me...no big deal...sorry certain people do not live up to your standards of coaching.....in the famous words of Abraham Lincoln onced stated: "great things may come to those that wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." I probably heard that in one of the movies also,between the time i was selling snake oil......10-1 was not good enough for you last year and i can tell you that it was not for me either, or my family or players either

Not to air out dirty laundry on the Sout Pitt site. I will give you credit you can win games and championships. I could care less about your record. Sir, I am a raider far more than you will ever be. If you want the bigger fish go get it. Anyboby who is a true raider wants to see Moore County do well no matter who the coach is.

My request is quit making a circus out of the school I call home.

He's probably a player that you cut or a parent of a player that didn't get enough playing time to suit him. If you coach anything at all in high school you have those parents. That's why coaches get paid those big supplements... :)