WEEK 0: Oneida @ Rockwood

crow

Idk much about rockwood a year ago but I do know that Scott has taken a huge leap forward from getting use to the spread again after Lamberts system left. They look at least... "AT LEAST" 7-3 and possibly quater finals. They look like a really good 4A team. I only see fulton or maybe Catholic in the way when it comes playoff time. We have a super fast team this year... still it is early but looks promising!

I hope you're right 'lander, They are much improved from last year, I hope you're right.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed....they might be, Old Chap!  Dude, they got a whole bunch of solid backs that run the ball effectively (Newport, Bowling. King, Cheetah, Chambers, etc.) and West is certainly a great piece back there too.  I think offensively I've been worried about how effective our line was going to be after losing so many solid guys to graduation.  So far they have done a pretty good job with what they have faced.  Rockwood is going to be a good test to see if we are still trending upward.

Kazz

You know Oneida might be a lot better than most think. They still have the west kid. Coalfield is the only problem I see but who knows that's why we play the game!

I agree with ya on that as well. Oneida has a lot of unanswered questions. There's a lot of youth but it is talented youth. Never know how youth will respond under the lights. So far they have responded well. The answers will only come when it's Friday night & the real games start. Much like Scott high, I definitely see potential in both squads, both just have to respond when they get on the field in the real situations. I'm a Scott high alum, I'd love to see 'em roll. They seem like the improvements are coming fast & furious.

I went to the Mystic River.....signs point to an Indian win.   I think Oneida will score 24 or 27 points and Rockwood will score either 10 or 14.  The drive ain't that far and I expect a group that is anxious to come roaring out of the gate.  I don't think these youngsters want to disappoint the coaches or their fans, at least that has been their MO so far.  Should be a good test for both teams to see where they are going to stack up.

Kazzy

Goose.....did you go to the Kingston Jam?  If you watched both "quarters"......a person would have left thinking Oneida will thrash the Tigers.  Fortunately, I wasn't born yesterday and I know Rockwood is well coached, so I'm throwing the blow out theory out the window.  I will say this, Oneida has played above expectations up to this point.  Some new blood has solidified their backfield with depth, they have two legitimate game changers, the line has played better than anticipated, and Lambert has the Defense playing fast and furious.  Rockwood looked good too but losing those two kids to GCA is a terrible blow.  I give you my score about mid week (like everyone is excited about that) :rolleyes: and this opener is big for both of them.

Kazzeetor

I was there and Oneida looked great, even if CC didn't play their regulars. It's still hard to make it look that easy. I expect a slobberknocker because neither team likes to pass and it will be hard to mount long drives against Lambert's or Jeff Allen's defense. Turnovers, field position and a couple of big plays will determine this one in my opinion.

We getting closer....where are all the Rock-Cats?  I thought from the looks of their 20 minutes at Kingston that they are a solid bunch.  Offense was strickly vanilla...which is no surprise with "enemies" in the stands.  Defense pursues the ball well and the LB group has some solid tacklers.  Everything in the eye test was about what I expected it to be.  Guess we may have to count on Kaz to keep this thing on page one. :huh:  No always the smartest way to go!  Smash-O-Meter is out in the sticks apparently awakening from his long slumber......can't figure out why he hasn't started slobbering over his keyboard yet?  I'm jacked and its Wednesday....!  Whooo Rahhh!

:thumb: Kazaminator :thumb:

Is the Rockwood kicker very "reliable"?  I'm thinking if he is pretty good, they will score 10 points against Lambo's D.  The defense could have an early breakdown leading to a score then Coach Lambert will put the screws on and the Tigers will struggle to get in the Red Zone after that.  If they get in the ballpark a good kicker will give them 3 more.  What is going to make things hard for the Tiger's Defense is they can not key on any one player....as Oneida showed in the Jamboree, there is a whole crew of backs that can score. (4 different backs scored and the leading rusher wasn't one of them!)  Plus we have a excellent weapon in the passing game that is inevitably going to be used....they have just had no need too yet!  Prediction:

Oneida 27

Rockwood 10

:thumb: Kazzintini :thumb:

Kaz- That's one thing I can't tell you about the Tigers. I'm not sure about our kicker. There has been a history of good kickers but don't look for coach Webb to turn one lose tomorrow unless he gets in point blank range. I think Rockwood looking vanilla in the jamboree was the best thing to happen. It's got alot of people doubting the Tigers and that's when the boys in green are at their best! 

Oh and Kaz, it would be a pleasure for the Indians to bring their "smokey" jerseys tomorrow night to The Wood LOL!  :thumb: