Blackman at Maryville.

tennesseestud2013

Looks like Jesse Smithey was spot on in his interview with Tom Kreager of the Murfreesboro DNJ-

5. Can you give a prediction and why?

I picked Maryville, 27-15. I really respect what Blackman has done defensively this season. Maryville has only been held to fewer than 30 points once this fall, and I really believe Blackman could be the second team to achieve that. The Blackman linebackers have the Maryville coaches’ attention, as does junior safety Jauan Jennings. But Maryville rarely loses at home, and it hasn’t lost a state semifinal since 2003. The Rebels have played for or won a state championship in every season since, as well as the three seasons before 2003.

Well said 27-21 Maryville and I was not too far off. Thought Blackmon to be a quality team with a smart QB, a tough RB and overall good on both sides of the ball. The best MHS the Rebs have faced but not the best coached or disciplined enought to beat a team like Maryville. The silly penalties killed their early drives and shook their confidence I thought.

Solid preformance by Maryville. Not in the leasted out athleted, if that's a word. Blackmon was blessed with fine athletes but had nothing on Maryville. GQ and coaches again out coached the opponent. Field must have been slick as a lot of footing was lost by good runners at various times.

I hope the state game has a better crew of officials than this group. To many late wistles can get kids hurt. Speaking of officials if the T$$AA does not send a better crew than those village idiots from last years game where Maryville was clearly ripped off of a state championship by the worst call ever made with the illegal reciever down field where the kid was on the line of scrimmage. That still stings as the kids deserve a quality officiating crew. Just randomly selecting different counties on a rotational basis is wrong. Big games deserve the best officials in the state, not just joe bobs turn.

Congrats Maryville. Go home get some sleep and get ready for another championship.

Congrats to Murvil on the win and making it to another State Championship game....they beat a very good Blackman team tonight.  Murvil is so disciplined and will not beat themselves, and GQ is a master play caller.  Great atmosphere tonight as both sides were full and loud, and we were treated to a very good high school game.  Hope both teams came out with no injuries.  Good luck to Murvil in the championship game.

Blackman, I have a feeling you guys will be back....very good, hard nosed, and well coached football team.  Hold your head up, great effort tonight.

Well said 27-21 Maryville and I was not too far off. Thought Blackmon to be a quality team with a smart QB, a tough RB and overall good on both sides of the ball. The best MHS the Rebs have faced but not the best coached or disciplined enought to beat a team like Maryville. The silly penalties killed their early drives and shook their confidence I thought.

Solid preformance by Maryville. Not in the leasted out athleted, if that's a word. Blackmon was blessed with fine athletes but had nothing on Maryville. GQ and coaches again out coached the opponent. Field must have been slick as a lot of footing was lost by good runners at various times.

I hope the state game has a better crew of officials than this group. To many late wistles can get kids hurt. Speaking of officials if the T$$AA does not send a better crew than those village idiots from last years game where Maryville was clearly ripped off of a state championship by the worst call ever made with the illegal reciever down field where the kid was on the line of scrimmage. That still stings as the kids deserve a quality officiating crew. Just randomly selecting different counties on a rotational basis is wrong. Big games deserve the best officials in the state, not just joe bobs turn.

Congrats Maryville. Go home get some sleep and get ready for another championship.

Agree except those silly penaltys ( think 5 offsides in 1st Q

Was listening to radio and BHS ride line reporter stated that they never heard it that loud ( crowd ) and was thrown them off big time

If you note that did finally get used to it and stopped

I guess I'll just have to live with it, but this whole Blackman has more talent/athletes just gets all in my crawl. Blackman had more size than Maryville, but you weren't watching if you say they were appreciably more talented.

Just because GQ and company put on a free coaching clinic tonight doesn't diminish what this team is capable of. We had a VERY comfortable lead in the 4th quarter against the best the "SEC of TN high school football" had to offer

Was listening to radio and BHS ride line reporter stated that they never heard it that loud ( crowd ) and was thrown them off big time

That's a good point. Those early penalties really hurt their momentum. That was a good team and did get that fixed. Thanks for bringing out that fact.

Had nothing at all to do with any crowd noise.....it was offsides, not illegal procedure.  #58 was lining up too close to the LOS, and when he would put his hand down on the ground, it was past the ball, and they would throw the flag and blow it dead.  So it had nothing to do with noise.

Edited by jake

I guess I'll just have to live with it, but this whole Blackman has more talent/athletes just gets all in my crawl. Blackman had more size than Maryville, but you weren't watching if you say they were appreciably more talented.

Just because GQ and company put on a free coaching clinic tonight doesn't diminish what this team is capable of. We had a VERY comfortable lead in the 4th quarter against the best the "SEC of TN high school football" had to offer

I am with you 100%. Quarles can coach, everyone knows that. But you don't win at this level year-in, year-out without outstanding players. As I stated earlier, Maryville more than held their own athletically with Blackman and definitely was not overmatched physically. I think sometimes people downplay the abilities of Maryville players in a convoluted way to somehow make GQ seem superhuman in his coaching abilities. But make no mistake about it- it takes great coaching AND great players to be as dominant as Maryville has been during the GQ era.