Your School's Mt. Rushmore

WB was 5A and MHS was 4A. This game didn't affect any seeding. This was before the "Z Plan".

They lost the next week to Farragut which was a "Region" game.

you are correct.... But.... Losing the maryville game in that fashion set the team up for a major letdown the next week against Farragut. In fact they didn't really recover from that one until they played Mcminn. Edited by Governors91

Yep...Sterling ran for about 300 yards that night, I was there.

Me too APB. I think he woulda had 400 but he had to rest a few plays. Shotgun snap, turn and hand him the ball, and let him pick his hole. 2nd most impressive RB performance I have seen in person. 1st being Hubert Simpson for the Vols back in the day.

Me too APB. I think he woulda had 400 but he had to rest a few plays. Shotgun snap, turn and hand him the ball, and let him pick his hole. 2nd most impressive RB performance I have seen in person. 1st being Hubert Simpson for the Vols back in the day.

do you think he would have had that good of a performance if WB hadn't had that heartbreaking loss the week before ?

If WB had beaten Maryville, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have beaten Farragut the next week. The Maryville loss ripped the heart out of that team. It didn't have a direct impact on playoff seeding but the invisible impact was huge.

There are a lot of "if's" with that '07 team and so much unfulfilled potential. If WB catches any of the six interceptions that hit them in the hands against Maryville, then the extra point doesn't matter. Then Sterling probably doesn't go off for 306 the next week and the Ads don't get the #1 seed in the playoffs.

We all have our opinions on these hypothetical scenarios and that's mine. If WB would have taken care of business then none of this would be an issue.

Cole Lail was a monster. Remember him very well in the early 2000's games between OR and WB.

You're absolutely right. He started three games against Oak Ridge and helped WB to their only two victories over the Wildcats in school history. He was definitely a difference maker.

If WB had beaten Maryville, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have beaten Farragut the next week. The Maryville loss ripped the heart out of that team. It didn't have a direct impact on playoff seeding but the invisible impact was huge.

There are a lot of "if's" with that '07 team and so much unfulfilled potential. If WB catches any of the six interceptions that hit them in the hands against Maryville, then the extra point doesn't matter. Then Sterling probably doesn't go off for 306 the next week and the Ads don't get the #1 seed in the playoffs.

We all have our opinions on these hypothetical scenarios and that's mine. If WB would have taken care of business then none of this would be an issue.

exactly. And maybe they wouldn't have had to play Bearden in the 2nd round and would have made a deeper playoff run. That was just a stroke of bad luck... Bearden was playing really good football at that time and WB was obviously having some issues that week. I know it is irrelevant now but i don't think that 30-0 loss was representative of WB's ability. In fact I think WB would have beaten them handily if they had played them any other week. I was at the game and my only thought was "what the heck is going on?" Because they were not the same team I had watched dominate everyone all year. They looked completely out of it. Edited by Governors91

I agree with your post, Governors91, except I don't believe that WB would have beaten Bearden handily. WB, Bearden and Farragut were all pretty evenly matched that year. They were all state championship caliber football teams.

I think if WB and Bearden were to play 10 times, WB would win around 5 of those meetings.